Spacegirl

Feeling like a school graduate... what can I do for a job in the US?

34 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

The translator-interpreter-English/Russian teacher job availability depends on where you live. In big city areas there's lots of folks offering those services, so you might struggle getting hired and may have to accept less money to do it.

Degrees in English teaching are a dime a dozen in some areas with so many immigrants from all over the globe coming here with university level educations....like from India for instance, And learning Russian is not as hot a language as it used to be for obvious reasons. Then again, you can hope for good fortune with the job hunt. There is no denying that luck plays a big part in landing jobs in all cases...but especially early on for immigrants.

Gary's wife seems to have the magic touch and also lives in a good area for what she can offer job wise. And she sounds like a real go-getter...but I think she's more the exception then the rule. Certainly she shows what can happen in a good scenario and is a good role model for new Russian wives, but these are hard times for everybody. Just look at that 9.4 unemployment rate.

Many Russian women in my area start often in the low end of retail jobs. You'll see them at the malls. Victoria's Secret seems to hire a lot of pretty women, so that's a good place to look. My wife worked at an Army PX in retail for 5 months but quit when I got very sick. She really hated the job and it paid poorly but she worked harder than her mostly immigrant and minority co-workers, so her bosses loved her. I saw the job as a way to build up some work experience and have something US-based on her resume, and then move to something better. But retail or restaurants are always hiring...especially pretty women. Not a glamorous white collar job but it helps pay the bills.

If you're coming here with a big degree from the FSU, it won't mean a lot in the big city, and you'll have to do some time in a college classroom to earn parity with your American competition. This means spending money to make money and putting in the time that can be long.

Edited by visaveteran

I don't consdier my wife to be a MOB. I consider myself to be a MOH! (She was the one that found me! haha)

So.... she paid for you to move to her country, all your expenses, college education, new car, etc., and all you have to do is have sex with her once in a while?

Sorry, dude. She's a MOB.

I saw the job as a way to build up some work experience and have something US-based on her resume, and then move to something better. But retail or restaurants are always hiring...especially pretty women. Not a glamorous white collar job but it helps pay the bills.

The thing that really bothers me about the working situation is there's not a single woman coming over here that needs to work at a high-paying job since we're all "rich" husbands. Yet for some reason, it's almost presented as an obligation that a similar job present itself or else it's not worth getting a job at all. "If I can't work where I want to work then I'm not going to work at all." At the very least it seems like it's a huge letdown if it doesn't happen.

I understand a woman wanting to work "at her level" but what I can't understand is why so many jobs are "beneath" them, especially when most of them are working for fun anyway since the dudes are most often footing the bill for the majors. She pays for "her" stuff or whatever she likes to do. She's augmenting the income, not actually contributing to it. In that case, what's the problem with waiting tables or working for minimum wage somewhere?

I struggle with my wife because she insists on working several part-time jobs at odd hours and different locations - yet makes less than she would working full-time at a single job, even if that paid minimum wage. She justifies it by claiming the hourly wage is higher. When I explain to her that 40 hours at ANY WAGE is better than 12 at a few bucks more she hits me with that entitlement BS about having a "wonderful job whis culture and allowed to look like lady" etc.

I seriously recommend, for any woman coming to the States, to consider as VV said, work at Victoria's Secret or the cosmetics counter at the mall or something like that. It'd be a nice, easy, FULL-TIME job with no stress and you can still take advantage of your husband in the process.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The translator-interpreter-English/Russian teacher job availability depends on where you live. In big city areas there's lots of folks offering those services, so you might struggle getting hired and may have to accept less money to do it.

Degrees in English teaching are a dime a dozen in some areas with so many immigrants from all over the globe coming here with university level educations....like from India for instance, And learning Russian is not as hot a language as it used to be for obvious reasons. Then again, you can hope for good fortune with the job hunt. There is no denying that luck plays a big part in landing jobs in all cases...but especially early on for immigrants.

Gary's wife seems to have the magic touch and also lives in a good area for what she can offer job wise. And she sounds like a real go-getter...but I think she's more the exception then the rule. Certainly she shows what can happen in a good scenario and is a good role model for new Russian wives, but these are hard times for everybody. Just look at that 9.4 unemployment rate.

Many Russian women in my area start often in the low end of retail jobs. You'll see them at the malls. Victoria's Secret seems to hire a lot of pretty women, so that's a good place to look. My wife worked at an Army PX in retail for 5 months but quit when I got very sick. She really hated the job and it paid poorly but she worked harder than her mostly immigrant and minority co-workers, so her bosses loved her. I saw the job as a way to build up some work experience and have something US-based on her resume, and then move to something better. But retail or restaurants are always hiring...especially pretty women. Not a glamorous white collar job but it helps pay the bills.

If you're coming here with a big degree from the FSU, it won't mean a lot in the big city, and you'll have to do some time in a college classroom to earn parity with your American competition. This means spending money to make money and putting in the time that can be long.

Much of what you say is true, and Alla could not "make a living" from her work as a translator/interpretor but it is really good part time money for a student with flexible hours. She does well to make $150 most weeks. Not a lot, but not bad for 5 hours work or so. That amounts to her "play money" though or she saves it for vacation use. Not a bad deal, and when she wants a new sofa or something she has the money for it.

We do not live in a big city, if we did I think she could make a living doing this. Russian is more useful than one would expect at first. Many of her clients are not Russian but are Armenian, Uzbek, Moldovan, etc. She even interprets for some Africans, particularly Angolans who were all taught Russian during Soviet times.

There is virtually no demand for teaching Russian in public schools here. Of course for teaching ESL it does not matter what language they speak, you speak English in class. Yes there are a lot of certified teachers for ESL and they usually want native English speakers. It is tough for a non-native speaker to land a really good ESL teaching job here and unfortunately the US does not pay teachers handsomely. Unlike foreign coutries who throw all kinds of money and perks at English teachers. Alla will be starting some personal instruction in Speech pathology to try and lose some of her accent (I hope she doesn't lose it at home)

But her plan, as I have said before, is to be able to teach English in foreign countries when I retire and we can live in some exotic locations for a year or two at a time. She will probably get a job here teaching ESL for this local community organization where she is doing her student teaching, but it will not pay very much.

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

It will be almost exactly 3 years from when Alla arrived here until she has her MA-TESOL and has a hope to get a low paying job (about $18000 per year for basically a part time job, 4 hours of classes every day) teaching ESL for a community organization. If that gives you any idea. BUT she will be doing what she wants and building her resume for the future

However...Alla enjoys being a student and has enjoyed the other work she has done in the meantime. I paid the bills, which was always the plan anyway. Her money is just gravy.

You know, she schedules her classes to be not earlier than 10am, sleeps late, puts on nice clothes and make up, goes to class, does an interpretation, goes back to class, meets a friend for coffee, goes to have her nails done, stops in at Macy's and buys some sweaters on sale for $6 each (almost FREE) and comes home to make dinner and greet me when I come home. And makes $150 a week for 5 hours work. Some weeks more, some weeks less. What is bad about this? Tough way to spend 3 years, eh?

Gary And Alla

Timeline

So.... she paid for you to move to her country, all your expenses, college education, new car, etc., and all you have to do is have sex with her once in a while?

Well, she definately tried to make me a MOH. She tried a number of times to get me to move to Ukraine and live with her family, but I convinced her to come here instead. As far as expenses...she was all in favor of getting a job, but I also convinced her that it was strategically more important to focus on grades and ensure she gets into med school rather than trying to help out financially. It's "get to", not "have to" btw!!! I'm not as old, fat, or bald as some people! hahaha

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

Spacegirl - where in Michigan will you be? There is a Russian language school (for children) in West Bloomfield (Detroit area) and another that I know of in Ann Arbor.

There is also the Michigan Language Center in Ann Arbor which does English language courses. I believe most of the courses they offer are intensive study courses for foreign graduate students who plan on enrolling at the University of Michigan, which has a decent number of Russian students.

Might be worth checking out, if you will be nearby.

90day.jpg

strategically more important to focus on grades and ensure she gets into med school rather than trying to help out financially. It's "get to", not "have to" btw!!! I'm not as old, fat, or bald as some people! hahaha

You may not be as old, fat, or bald as some... but it sounds like you have a much better retirement plan!

(Detroit area)

Don't move anywhere near the Detroit area.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

The thing that really bothers me about the working situation is there's not a single woman coming over here that needs to work at a high-paying job since we're all "rich" husbands. Yet for some reason, it's almost presented as an obligation that a similar job present itself or else it's not worth getting a job at all. "If I can't work where I want to work then I'm not going to work at all." At the very least it seems like it's a huge letdown if it doesn't happen.

I understand a woman wanting to work "at her level" but what I can't understand is why so many jobs are "beneath" them, especially when most of them are working for fun anyway since the dudes are most often footing the bill for the majors. She pays for "her" stuff or whatever she likes to do. She's augmenting the income, not actually contributing to it. In that case, what's the problem with waiting tables or working for minimum wage somewhere?

I struggle with my wife because she insists on working several part-time jobs at odd hours and different locations - yet makes less than she would working full-time at a single job, even if that paid minimum wage. She justifies it by claiming the hourly wage is higher. When I explain to her that 40 hours at ANY WAGE is better than 12 at a few bucks more she hits me with that entitlement BS about having a "wonderful job whis culture and allowed to look like lady" etc.

I seriously recommend, for any woman coming to the States, to consider as VV said, work at Victoria's Secret or the cosmetics counter at the mall or something like that. It'd be a nice, easy, FULL-TIME job with no stress and you can still take advantage of your husband in the process.

I have to have sex like twice per day or she thinks I do not think she is attractive. It is a burden to bear.

I would encourage any woman moving here with a husband who provides a living to take the opportunity to pursue what you always wanted to do. Educated people are not going to be happy wiping tables or washing dishes and why should they be miserable if the husband makes enough to pay the bills? Take your time, make a plan and follow it.

That said, Alla enjoyed working in the woman's clothing store. She got to dress nicely and talk about clothes all day. But she quit because she did not have the time to work the hours with her schoolwork. It was good exposure anyway. Seriously I do not know wht she works at all, except she likes to have "her own money" so she does not feel like she is spending "family money" for "silly women things". Whatever. I doubt I could apply the same logic to the money I earn as being "my own money" whatd'ya guess? :whistle:

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I don't think 30 is too old to go back to school. My wife is in school and is 31 and has a few years left. The thought she was too old never entered her mind. I took college courses in my mid 40's and I have a friend who got her MBA at 55.

I to think teaching Russian might be the better choice for the same reasons others have mentioned. The other option would be to go back to school and study something different.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Wow, havent been on for a while and didnt expect so many posts... thank you all guys! My guy lives in Ypsilanti, as far as I understand its pretty close to Detroit. With everything been said above, I see my options are not very promising...

I would encourage any woman moving here with a husband who provides a living to take the opportunity to pursue what you always wanted to do.

serious dude? lol you cracked me up, sorry couldnt help it

There is also the Michigan Language Center in Ann Arbor which does English language courses. I believe most of the courses they offer are intensive study courses for foreign graduate students who plan on enrolling at the University of Michigan, which has a decent number of Russian students.

This might be really useful, gonna check it out! Thank you so much!

Thinking studying something different is another great idea for someone like me, the question now is what and how. Anyone knows if I can get a loan and how soon?

Anyone knows if I can get a loan and how soon?

If you have a SSN you can get a loan.

Русский форум член.

Timeline

Wow, havent been on for a while and didnt expect so many posts... thank you all guys! My guy lives in Ypsilanti, as far as I understand its pretty close to Detroit. With everything been said above, I see my options are not very promising...

serious dude? lol you cracked me up, sorry couldnt help it

This might be really useful, gonna check it out! Thank you so much!

Thinking studying something different is another great idea for someone like me, the question now is what and how. Anyone knows if I can get a loan and how soon?

Check what your state offers too! For example, here in GA after 1 year of residency, students are eligible for HOPE scholarships. We've pretty much only had to pay for books so far. Now the fact that some of her books cost $250+ is another story. Damn gougers.

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

That's an important discussion. I have a question: has anybody considered military? me and my fiance were looking through language-related jobs and found lots of openings in US Navy for translator/interpreter positions in Maryland and they say that they hire permanent residents, so basically you don't have to wait for your citizenship. I personally would be really interested in a job like that, so hopefully they don't mind hiring a Russian citizen...

Meanwhile I'm thinking what else i can find with my degree in linguistics (English, Spanish and Russian languages), which i am hopefulli going to be done with in july, and i am also considering getting a degree in business in the USA.

I really hope that i don't have to work in retail or restaurant service ever again, i was doing it for the past 3 summers in the US and i hate it :bonk:

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

That's an important discussion. I have a question: has anybody considered military? me and my fiance were looking through language-related jobs and found lots of openings in US Navy for translator/interpreter positions in Maryland and they say that they hire permanent residents, so basically you don't have to wait for your citizenship. I personally would be really interested in a job like that, so hopefully they don't mind hiring a Russian citizen...

Meanwhile I'm thinking what else i can find with my degree in linguistics (English, Spanish and Russian languages), which i am hopefulli going to be done with in july, and i am also considering getting a degree in business in the USA.

I really hope that i don't have to work in retail or restaurant service ever again, i was doing it for the past 3 summers in the US and i hate it :bonk:

The only thing about joining the military to work as a linguist is they very seldom have Russians translating Russian. They'll do something like send you to DLI for a year to learn Pashtu or Farsi, Mandarin, Wolof, etc., and totally waste your Russian skills. Even Spanish probably won't help you out much since so many American-born citizens speak Spanish already.

The military is a good way to get fast-tracked to citizenship. But, your chances of being a Russian interpreter in Maryland through the military are minimal, at best. More likely you'll be a shipping clerk in Germany or something. To work as a translator in Maryland, check out the NSA, CIA, DIA, etc. You could maybe find something through the Justice Dept. but there won't be as many positions available.

Good luck! And if you wouldn't mind, keep us posted. I'd love to come home and tell my wife, "honey, you can go be a secret agent while I mind the house."

Русский форум член.

Timeline

The only thing about joining the military to work as a linguist is they very seldom have Russians translating Russian. They'll do something like send you to DLI for a year to learn Pashtu or Farsi, Mandarin, Wolof, etc., and totally waste your Russian skills. Even Spanish probably won't help you out much since so many American-born citizens speak Spanish already.

The military is a good way to get fast-tracked to citizenship. But, your chances of being a Russian interpreter in Maryland through the military are minimal, at best. More likely you'll be a shipping clerk in Germany or something. To work as a translator in Maryland, check out the NSA, CIA, DIA, etc. You could maybe find something through the Justice Dept. but there won't be as many positions available.

Good luck! And if you wouldn't mind, keep us posted. I'd love to come home and tell my wife, "honey, you can go be a secret agent while I mind the house."

Alla has checked into the government translator jobs mentioned. Most require US citizenship for clearance. Something maybe for later, but that isn;t her goal.

FWIW one of the other Russian translators working for the St Albans USCIS office is a retired Green Beret/Military Linguist. He is not a native Russian speaker but he speaks Russian very good Alla says.

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.