Kookie

hu? DNA Paternity Testing??

25 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Just to be clear, I wasn't meaning to imply any such thing. I was just a question that came to mind out of curiosity.

FWIW, in a situation where the US Government did decide that Citizenship was given when it shouldn't have been I think the legal nightmare would be for the person who's citizenship was in jeopardy as they would need lawyers to file injunctions to prevent the government action whereas the government has lawyers on staff 100s deep.

Unless the OP is holding back some story we are not aware of, its SO unlikely for the government to go after a child, or take away citizenship. It would have to be a NAZI war criminal and it would take years. they have been married 7 years.. this is just nonsense and a confused consular office employee.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Unless the OP is holding back some story we are not aware of, its SO unlikely for the government to go after a child, or take away citizenship. It would have to be a NAZI war criminal and it would take years. they have been married 7 years.. this is just nonsense and a confused consular office employee.

The bold above, is likely the key here.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

It sound to me like an very usual request. I have never heard that DNA test of a child is needed to prove a spousal relationship. It seem like the consular officer is confused. DNA test is strictly voluntary . Consult an experienced attorney before you do anything,

I have heard of it, several VJers have posted about it in the past. It is uncommon, but not unheard of.

DNA test is not voluntary; or rather, it is, but if they refuse, they probably won't get the visa. Since they say they are sure of the outcome, testing is cheaper and quicker than appealing and/or getting an attorney.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Sounds like to me the VO is not questioning the baby, but questioning "Are your really this childs mother?"

The child is already a US citizen, the VO is just making sure there is no fraud being the child was born to another woman and now a different woman is claiming she is the mother so she can get VISA.

By the sounds the OP has nothing to worry about, just some additional expense.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

It sound to me like an very usual request. I have never heard that DNA test of a child is needed to prove a spousal relationship. It seem like the consular officer is confused. DNA test is strictly voluntary . Consult an experienced attorney before you do anything,

Portbar, not correct - DNA is NOT strictly voluntary - However, I would be on the phone to my Congressman, Senator, etc... and let them make some inquiries - Your wife's visa should not be contingent on the child's DNA - you registered the child's birth abroad and got her her American citizenship, etc.... - I would explore all avenues, but also start preparing to suck it up and shell out the funds for the DNA test. Sorry to hear of the delay, but know that it will soon be done!

Sounds like to me the VO is not questioning the baby, but questioning "Are your really this childs mother?"

The child is already a US citizen, the VO is just making sure there is no fraud being the child was born to another woman and now a different woman is claiming she is the mother so she can get VISA.

By the sounds the OP has nothing to worry about, just some additional expense.

The DNA test is a PATERNITY test - not the mother :wacko:

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

Timeline

Portbar, not correct - DNA is NOT strictly voluntary - However, I would be on the phone to my Congressman, Senator, etc... and let them make some inquiries - Your wife's visa should not be contingent on the child's DNA - you registered the child's birth abroad and got her her American citizenship, etc.... - I would explore all avenues, but also start preparing to suck it up and shell out the funds for the DNA test. Sorry to hear of the delay, but know that it will soon be done!

The DNA test is a PATERNITY test - not the mother :wacko:

The test is voluntary, meaning nobody is going to forcibly take blood from anybody. That there are consequences for declining to submit to something does not mean it isn't voluntary.

DNA tests will confirm the identity of both parents, not just the father. For immigration purposes, however, the test is most often ordered in cases where the CO is questioning paternity.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I Kookie this is not unusal request my friend who is an american citizen who lives here in the U.S. was ordered to do a DNA test on her daughter. My friends daughter was born here in the US but her father was back in Guyana when her husband went to his interview in Guyana he was asked to do a DNA test for their daughter. I read somewhere that if you are a US citizen filing for a spouse or a child they will be subject to a DNA test and I don't think if you guys knew ahead of time it would have made any difference because immigration have designated facility that hands the DNA test in JA. Good luck!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Just a update,

We got a explanation on this request, it seems that it was (the DNA test) was to done when we applied for my daughters citizenship but wasn't. The reason why we think this happened is because when we went in all three of us was there, My daughter, my wife and myself, our daughter looks like me and has little of her mother in her looks. (poor child) :). Any way all is set my daughter and I go in this week to give our samples, and by Wednesday of next week they should be at the Kingston embassy. Cant get rid of feeling that they will come up with something else, I hope not.

one year, three months, 24 days and we are one again. Thank you for the information.

Timeline

Just a update,

We got a explanation on this request, it seems that it was (the DNA test) was to done when we applied for my daughters citizenship but wasn't. The reason why we think this happened is because when we went in all three of us was there, My daughter, my wife and myself, our daughter looks like me and has little of her mother in her looks. (poor child) :). Any way all is set my daughter and I go in this week to give our samples, and by Wednesday of next week they should be at the Kingston embassy. Cant get rid of feeling that they will come up with something else, I hope not.

As I said early on, "They are ruling out fraud on the part of the foreign spouse." and that there was more to the story. Now it all computes. Good luck with the results.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.