Inyakee

K-1 Denied

56 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The marriage licence is irrelevant. I got mine in Toronto without my husband even being in the country. It is not proof you met in the past 2 years

I think your case is weak. I suggest if you cannot get stronger evidence, you should just refile

Good luck

Maybe the next time I visit there and get a picture of us with a current news paper and notarized letter from my relatives there.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband and also visited eachother by car and didn't have hotel receipts because we stayed at eachother's houses. We also didn't have any stamps in our passports despite crossing weekly for 8 years.

Here's what we sent as proof of a relationship:

1. Detailed account of how/when/where we met

2. Affadivits from family members and friends verifying our relationship

3. Hotel receipts and plane tickets from trips we took together and pictures of us together in those places

4. Pictures of us with eachother's family members at different times (example: his cousin's 1st birthday and her 5th birthday)

5. Copies of email sent throughout the years with "relationship" type conversations

6. Copies of our cell phone bills with eachothers phone numbers highlighted

7. Pictures of us at eachothers major life events (college graduation, birthdays...etc).

There are many, many other ways to prove a bonified relationship other than passport stamps.

Timeline

My husband and also visited eachother by car and didn't have hotel receipts because we stayed at eachother's houses. We also didn't have any stamps in our passports despite crossing weekly for 8 years.

Here's what we sent as proof of a relationship:

1. Detailed account of how/when/where we met

2. Affadivits from family members and friends verifying our relationship

3. Hotel receipts and plane tickets from trips we took together and pictures of us together in those places

4. Pictures of us with eachother's family members at different times (example: his cousin's 1st birthday and her 5th birthday)

5. Copies of email sent throughout the years with "relationship" type conversations

6. Copies of our cell phone bills with eachothers phone numbers highlighted

7. Pictures of us at eachothers major life events (college graduation, birthdays...etc).

There are many, many other ways to prove a bonified relationship other than passport stamps.

Thank you so much! Now I got some ideas.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline

I'm not sure if you should provide the evidence or start from scratch. It sounds like you should be able to prove, somehow, that you have met in the last two years. You just have to prove that you met...there's many ways to do that. Pictures are not primary evidence, but receipts and other things are.

1. If you applied for a marriage license - did you both have to be present? Are your signatures on the document with a date? That would be enough to prove you met.

2. Gas receipts at gas stations along the way, receipts for dinner, etc.

When I applied, I used the receipts I had - an ATM receipt showing I took out money in a city nearby where my fiance lives, an entry on my credit card statement for a shirt I bought for him when I was there, etc. etc. The boarding passes I had proved I was there - but for you that's obviously not necessary. Did you save movie stubs, receipts, etc? Do you use a credit card, debit card?

I'm not sure of the cost difference, but if it were me I wouldn't just drop the first attempt at filing the I-129F petition.

K-1 Visa / I-129F

January 11, 2010 - I mailed K-1 Visa I-129F Petition Overnight Express Mail

February 25, 2010 - Notice date of NOA2 (read the e-mail notice on his birthday 2/26/2010)

May 12, 2010 - Interview - Approved!!!

May 25, 2010 - received Visa back in time to make May 26th Flight :)

June 9, 2010 - Married!!!

AOS:

November 1, 2010 - Sent AOS, EAD & AP to Chicago via Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation

November 03, 2010 - Delivered 9:57 am, CHICAGO, IL 60603

November 10, 2010 - Received 3 e-mail & text message NOA1s from USCIS

November 12, 2010 - Received 3 NOA1s hardcopy in mail

November 19, 2010 - Received Biometrics appointment letter in mail

December 3, 2010 - AOS - I-485 transferred to CSC

December 13, 2010 - Biometrics Appointment - Milwaukee, WI - 10:00 a.m.

January 10, 2011 - AOS Touch - I-485 - Still in Initial Review

January 19, 2011 - Complete Congresswoman inquiry paperwork and deliver it to Congresswoman's office

January 20, 2011 - Received e-mail & text message saying status updated : USCIS says AOS approved & card production ordered.

January 21, 2011 - Received multiple e-mails/texts regarding updated statuses on both AOS & EAD, some confusing!

January 26, 2011 - Received Legal Permanent Resident card in mail.

ROC:

January 2013 - Filed ROC & Received approval in June 2013

N-400 / Naturalization:

2020 - Started Naturalization ppwk prior to COVID pandemic, and when we couldn't get passport photos at local AAA office - set it aside

March 2021 - Finishing Naturalization ppwk and filing ASAP

October 4, 2022 - ASAP turned into putzing and putting off...and finally filing on 10/4/22.

11/25/22 - Received notice of N-400 Interview on 1/5/23

1/5/23 - Naturalization Interview

2/9/23 - Naturlization Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm in the same situation, driving into the USA to visit my fiancé. One of the pieces of evidence I used was credit card statements I printed that showed purchases made in my fiance's town (the purchases on the statement showed the location). The statement only showed my visa number, not my name. So I photocopied my credit card (which shows my name) and attached it to the statement. I blacked out the middle digits of my card but left the first and last set so they could see the first and last 4 numbers were the same.

Hope that gives you another idea.

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

Is this petition denied or has the OP just gotten an RFE?

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

didn't have hotel receipts because we stayed at eachother's houses. W

People, don't you realize that with this international relationship and your inevitable dance with USCIS you have to think and act outside your normal box.

Stay at a hotel, even for one night, just to generate that evidence. Generate the evidence. What is so hard about this concept?

It is well known, at least to us VJers, what most folks provide and get by with. You can do the same. You don't have a normal relationship because of USCIS.

When Alla and I met in Kiev for 10 days, we did things together, sometimes for the sole purpose of generating evidence of meeting and to show our relationship.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

People, don't you realize that with this international relationship and your inevitable dance with USCIS you have to think and act outside your normal box.

Stay at a hotel, even for one night, just to generate that evidence. Generate the evidence. What is so hard about this concept?

It is well known, at least to us VJers, what most folks provide and get by with. You can do the same. You don't have a normal relationship because of USCIS.

When Alla and I met in Kiev for 10 days, we did things together, sometimes for the sole purpose of generating evidence of meeting and to show our relationship.

I would wager that at least half the people in international relationships don't have a clue what they will need to do if they decide to live in the US.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Rebecca is right. I was given a 3 year work visa in canada. Took a week I think. I was given a 15 month marraige visa in Thailand in about 36 hours. I hear in the EU it takes 30 days. It took a year to get my wifes IR-1. She came here for help, not to be scolded like a child. If you don't have anything constructive to post, go and hang out in OT or P and R. I'm sure happy I didn't get responses like that when we got 221g. Everyone helped out a lot here. Even those here I had issues with in the past.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Timeline

I'm in the same situation, driving into the USA to visit my fiancé. One of the pieces of evidence I used was credit card statements I printed that showed purchases made in my fiance's town (the purchases on the statement showed the location). The statement only showed my visa number, not my name. So I photocopied my credit card (which shows my name) and attached it to the statement. I blacked out the middle digits of my card but left the first and last set so they could see the first and last 4 numbers were the same.

Hope that gives you another idea.

Thank you for the tips.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

The love of my life lives in Minnesota and I live in Thunder Bay, no air travel required. We frequently go back and forth with no passport stamps. What I did to help solve this problem is I kept a 'contact log' detailing each time Michael came to Thunder Bay and when I went to Minnesota. It clearly states the dates of entry, the dates of departure, who we saw etc. I was fortunate in that my daughter's friend had just been through the process so I started collecting 'evidence' as soon as we started discussing marriage. When the right time came to mail our K1 petition Michael and I both signed and dated the contact log. Our log goes back to Dec 2008. Since then we have received our NOA1. I will continue to do this until our interview in Montreal. Of course we also put in other evidence: picture (I included photos of Michael with my pets and also with my grandchildren), facebook comments of our engagement; emails etc. Also, I clearly outlined how we first met. Hope this helps future applicants who live close to each other and do not receive passport stamps.

Enjoy your day!

Love Changes Everything

N-400 Process

May 29, 2016 paperwork sent in

June 3, 2016 check cashed! Text message received.

June 2, NOA

June 22, Biometrics

March 3 In Line for Interview

ROC Process

May 8, 2014 paperwork in hands of USCIS,California Service Center!

May 14, 2014 check cashed

June 2, 2014 Biometrics waived

July 16, 2014 10 yr greencard in hand!

AOS Process
September 29, 2011 AOS in hands of USCIS
July 9, 2012 WELCOME TO AMERICA letter!
July 11, 2012 Conditional GreenCard in hand!

K-1 Process
December 18, 2010 Our K-1 package arrived at Homeland Security
August 23, 2011 Approved
September 8, 2011 POE at Grand Portage, MN Border
September 11, 2011 Married!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

The love of my life lives in Minnesota and I live in Thunder Bay, no air travel required. We frequently go back and forth with no passport stamps. What I did to help solve this problem is I kept a 'contact log' detailing each time Michael came to Thunder Bay and when I went to Minnesota. It clearly states the dates of entry, the dates of departure, who we saw etc. I was fortunate in that my daughter's friend had just been through the process so I started collecting 'evidence' as soon as we started discussing marriage. When the right time came to mail our K1 petition Michael and I both signed and dated the contact log. Our log goes back to Dec 2008. Since then we have received our NOA1. I will continue to do this until our interview in Montreal. Of course we also put in other evidence: picture (I included photos of Michael with my pets and also with my grandchildren), facebook comments of our engagement; emails etc. Also, I clearly outlined how we first met. Hope this helps future applicants who live close to each other and do not receive passport stamps.

Enjoy your day!

Cant you just walk across the lake this time of year?

:D

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

And I do have a marriage certificate approved by the Canada and lawyers permit to get marriage. Is this enough to prove them that I met my fiance for the past two years?

If it's dated to suggest that, then hopefully they will consider it. Plus the fact that you have a 14 month old baby suggests you met 2 years ago considering it took approximately 9 months before the baby got here. Maybe you should point that out in the space they provided for you to write anything you think will help your case. In the mean time, think long and hard and find more evidence. Surely you should have more paper trail for a 2 year old relationship. Receipts, post cards, email with highlited dates, confirmation email of items you had mailed to him showing from your address to fiance's address etc...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

When I met my now husband 8 years ago, it didn't occur to me to think "oh gosh, I need to start gathering evidence of a bonified relationship!!!" It wasn't until 7 years later when we decided to get married that we looked into what it took to get a Green Card. Luckly, we had plenty of evidence because I am sentimental and I keep things like cute emails and plane tickets. I don't think it's fair to expect people to collect these things throughout the course of dating just because one day, they may get married and want to apply for a Green Card.

However, normal things like phone records and credit card statements, and photos which show an ongoing relationship are easy to get in today's digital age, so it's not too hard to retrace your steps once you decide to file.

When I met my now husband 8 years ago, it didn't occur to me to think "oh gosh, I need to start gathering evidence of a bonified relationship!!!" It wasn't until 7 years later when we decided to get married that we looked into what it took to get a Green Card. Luckly, we had plenty of evidence because I am sentimental and I keep things like cute emails and plane tickets. I don't think it's fair to expect people to collect these things throughout the course of dating just because one day, they may get married and want to apply for a Green Card.

However, normal things like phone records and credit card statements, and photos which show an ongoing relationship are easy to get in today's digital age, so it's not too hard to retrace your steps once you decide to file.

I agree wholeheartedly. It wasn't until 2 1/2 years into our relationship that we considered the possibility of her moving to the US. Luckily, I'm a packrat and had most of the evidences somewhere around. I glad that I didn't one day wake up and start changing my packrat ways. I have phone bills from when we were merely talking on the phone. Receipts for little birthday gifts that I sent and don't even start talking about fotos.

I think that once the OP puts his mind to it, he'll find many of the things that he needs. He might even be able to get them from others who were at family gatherings and took fotos etc.

7-30-07 - Met in Santa Marta, Colombia

9-19-08 - Engaged

7-13-10 - I-129F sent by USPS Expressmail to VSC;

10-18-10 - NOA2!!!!!!!!!! (Received in hand 10-22-10)

11-12-10 - Sent email to Embassy asking about petition; response "Petition rec'd; send in documents"; sent same day

11-24-10 - Called the Department of State; interview has been scheduled

11-29-10 - Package 3 received by beneficiary

01-19-11 - Interview - VISA APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!

01-27-11 - Passport received; visa in hand

02-08-11 - POE - Fort Lauderdale, Fla MISSED FLIGHT; 02-10-11 - POE second time's the charm. Easy POE. Welcome to the USA.

03-04-11 - Married

AOS

05-08-11 - Mailed out I-485, I-765 & I-131;

05-16-11 - Text & email msgs with Receipt Number

05-17-11 - Applied for Expedited AP as Victoria's mother was very ill; 05-18-11 - Picked up AP document

05-20-11 - Victoria returns to Colombia; NOA1 for all 3 forms arrive

06-03-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; RFE 06-07-11 - RFE arrives for 2010 Tax Return

06-08-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; Post Office returned a letter that was sent by USCIS; 06-09-11 - Issue resolved

06-14-11 - RFE response sent; 06-21-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; RFE response under review

06-29-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; Case transferred to CSC

08-30-11 - Victoria returns to US

08-31-11 - Biometrics done; Text message - "EAD Card Production ordered"

09-11 - Case transferred back from CSC

11-22-11 - Interview in Albany Field Office. AOS APPROVED.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.