SunDrop

Calling all K-2 AOSers - past and present

398 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm in the process of filling out AOS paperwork for both my daughter and myself. I have filled in her forms, but i'm not sure what to check off in section 10 - applicant's statement. I filled it out, I will have her sign it (shes 16), but wondering if i should check 1a, as she is fluent in English, then check box 2 and put myself in as her preparer?

• 3 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Hi. I have some questions about  how to  fill out  i765 .More problems about i- 864 for k2. I'll appreciate any responses ! My daughter and I will depart for the USA in January 24 next year. We went to the K 1 interview together  so our visa expiration date is the same. My son hasn't gone to the interview with us but he's on I129F so he might come more than 6 months after we arrive.We plan to get married 1 week after we arrive so I can't get my SSN before our wedding.We plan to mail out all the forms for AOS 2 weeks later after we get married (my daughter needs to go back in February 2020 to finish her last semester to get the high school diploma so we need to do AOS sooner  ) Not sure if I can get SSN at the mean while! 

1)On i-765,page 2,item 13b, provide your US social security number, can I leave it blank if I get SSN after we mail out the forms? then item 14,Do you want the SSA to issue you a social security card? Can I say "yes" even I'll try to apply for the SSN before I get EAD and AP(bcuz I'm not sure if I can get a SSN sooner)

2)i864,page 2,part 3,item 1, I am sopnsoring the principle immigrant in part 2(me),should my husband cross"yes"?

3)item 2,I am sponsoring the following members immigrating at the same time…(my daughter),item 3,I am sponsoring the following members who are immigrating more than 6 months after .....(my son)Will they should be crossed out ?

Thank you in advanced 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
13 hours ago, Jenna Ting said:

Hi. I have some questions about  how to  fill out  i765 .More problems about i- 864 for k2. I'll appreciate any responses ! My daughter and I will depart for the USA in January 24 next year. We went to the K 1 interview together  so our visa expiration date is the same. My son hasn't gone to the interview with us but he's on I129F so he might come more than 6 months after we arrive.We plan to get married 1 week after we arrive so I can't get my SSN before our wedding.We plan to mail out all the forms for AOS 2 weeks later after we get married (my daughter needs to go back in February 2020 to finish her last semester to get the high school diploma so we need to do AOS sooner  ) Not sure if I can get SSN at the mean while! 

1)On i-765,page 2,item 13b, provide your US social security number, can I leave it blank if I get SSN after we mail out the forms? then item 14,Do you want the SSA to issue you a social security card? Can I say "yes" even I'll try to apply for the SSN before I get EAD and AP(bcuz I'm not sure if I can get a SSN sooner)

2)i864,page 2,part 3,item 1, I am sopnsoring the principle immigrant in part 2(me),should my husband cross"yes"?

3)item 2,I am sponsoring the following members immigrating at the same time…(my daughter),item 3,I am sponsoring the following members who are immigrating more than 6 months after .....(my son)Will they should be crossed out ?

Thank you in advanced 

K-2s can't get their SSN before they get the EAD card. 

Why can't see finish her High school here? 

SSN is not needed to file the AOS.  SO yes if you don't have any you leave it blank.

No, you can't put yes there and then also go apply yourself. Either you check the box or you go get it yourself. (Which is pretty simple and yes you can get it before EAD you just have to have at least 14 days left on your I-94)

Yes, he is sponsoring you and your daughter.

You say your son MIGHT come so I wouldn't cross anything in that one as you are not certain he will come or not. Also, he will need his own AOS and ROC and so on if that time comes.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline
10 hours ago, Georgia16 said:

K-2s can't get their SSN before they get the EAD card. 

Why can't see finish her High school here? 

SSN is not needed to file the AOS.  SO yes if you don't have any you leave it blank.

No, you can't put yes there and then also go apply yourself. Either you check the box or you go get it yourself. (Which is pretty simple and yes you can get it before EAD you just have to have at least 14 days left on your I-94)

Yes, he is sponsoring you and your daughter.

You say your son MIGHT come so I wouldn't cross anything in that one as you are not certain he will come or not. Also, he will need his own AOS and ROC and so on if that time comes.

Thank you so much for the clarification ! 😀My daughter is over 18 and she'll only havs the last semester left to get the diploma also it's cheaper to enroll the college when she lives  in California for 1 year.So we consider it's easier for her to go back to my country for 4 months then finish her junior high school.  I wander if she can go get some courses before she gets her high school diploma ? 

If my husband crosses i864 ,page 2,,item 3 for my son,What's difference or will there be any effect on our application ? We don't want to get any trouble to make my son's AOS getting wrong in the future. Thank you for your response. 

Edited by Jenna Ting

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone! I really need your help, please! I entered the United States with my daughter (17 years old) on a K1 and K2 visa. My fiance, now a husband, got married within 90 days of entry. However, my visa expired on December 10, 2018. That being said, I am currently applying for registration of permanent residence (AOS). For financial reasons, we give priority to my application and will do my daughter's at a later date. I know this may seem like a silly question but I was wondering what I should answer on Form I-485 with regard to the section "Information about your children" where it is asked, "Is this child applying with you?". In addition, under "Information on previous marriages", the question "Prior Spouse Date of Birth", I do not remember his date of birth, I have not spoken to him for more than 10 years and I have no means of contact either. Not to mention, our divorce certificate does not indicate this information either, unfortunately. Can someone help me with this? I want to make sure to fill everything in correctly before sending it. This is obviously something I do not want to take lightly. Thank you!

Timeline
55 minutes ago, JS&MS said:

Hi everyone! I really need your help, please! I entered the United States with my daughter (17 years old) on a K1 and K2 visa. My fiance, now a husband, got married within 90 days of entry. However, my visa expired on December 10, 2018. That being said, I am currently applying for registration of permanent residence (AOS). For financial reasons, we give priority to my application and will do my daughter's at a later date. I know this may seem like a silly question but I was wondering what I should answer on Form I-485 with regard to the section "Information about your children" where it is asked, "Is this child applying with you?". In addition, under "Information on previous marriages", the question "Prior Spouse Date of Birth", I do not remember his date of birth, I have not spoken to him for more than 10 years and I have no means of contact either. Not to mention, our divorce certificate does not indicate this information either, unfortunately. Can someone help me with this? I want to make sure to fill everything in correctly before sending it. This is obviously something I do not want to take lightly. Thank you!

Your visa expired when you entered the country. 

Yes would definitely be best to file together I would do everything to make that happen! 

If if not then you answer no when asked if she apply with you. (If you get interview you will most like be asked why) also remember she will be out of status and will not be able to get a DL or job. 

You just will will put down what you remember maybe the month and year he was born. 

Also so remember that when you do ROC you can add a child without a extra fee if you do not get green card at the same time or within 90 days you will have to pay for the both of you when that time come. 

I will I’ll be honest and say with the age she has I really think you should try and do AOS now. 

EAD and AP fees are waived for the both of you when filed along with the AOS

Edited by Georgia16

• 7 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
On 6/27/2018 at 11:28 AM, Ksenia_O said:

She would need  I-765/131. K1 can get a SS#right after arrival, once I-94 is available online. K2 is different and  not eligible for SS# without EAD card or an actual green card.

Those forms are fee waived if filed along with I-485 under c(9) category. Which is the case :) 

Good luck!!!

could you please reference the document and page number + specific section where it is stated that K2 is fee waived for I-765?

thank you

-------------

I've found the answer: I-765 instruction, page 23, section "Exceptions", point 12)

(c)(9) or (c)(16) Any current Adjustment of Status or Registry applicant who filed Form I-485 on or after July 30,
2007, and paid the appropriate Form I-485 filing fee. If you file Form I-765 separately from your Form I-485, you
must also submit a copy of your Form I-797C Notice for Form I-485, as evidence of filing Form I-485 on or after July
30, 2007, and payment of the appropriate filing fee. If you did not pay the appropriate Form I-485 filing fee because
your filing fee was waived or you are exempt from paying it, you must pay the Form I-765 filing fee or request that
the filing fee be waived;

Edited by Zoltan K

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Zoltan K said:

could you please reference the document and page number + specific section where it is stated that K2 is fee waived for I-765?

thank you

-------------

I've found the answer: I-765 instruction, page 23, section "Exceptions", point 12)

(c)(9) or (c)(16) Any current Adjustment of Status or Registry applicant who filed Form I-485 on or after July 30,
2007, and paid the appropriate Form I-485 filing fee. If you file Form I-765 separately from your Form I-485, you
must also submit a copy of your Form I-797C Notice for Form I-485, as evidence of filing Form I-485 on or after July
30, 2007, and payment of the appropriate filing fee. If you did not pay the appropriate Form I-485 filing fee because
your filing fee was waived or you are exempt from paying it, you must pay the Form I-765 filing fee or request that
the filing fee be waived;

It is the same for all who does AOS the fee for both EAD and the AP will be waived. 

• 5 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi there I am trying to file for my k-2 children but my application was rejected asking for for I-130 or the I-797 showing that the I-130 was accepted or approved but we are u see the K-2 where we filed the I-129f and I sent the I-797 showing that that was approved . They said my priority date could not be found. But I thought there is no priority date for K1 and 2 visas? I checked the box in part 3? Saying that family based on the I-129f so I don't know why they are asking for I-130. Also under the underlying petition section in the k2 I-485 form do I put the I-129f receipt number or the k-1 I-485 adjustment of status receipt number in that area . 

• 5 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

We filed for the K1 and K2  AOS 485 in Nov 2019.  My  Wife (K-1) received her AP travel authorization (I-131), SSN and her work permit (I-765) in May. K2 received the first NOA in Dec.   We sent the fees for both K1 and K2 at the same time.  Both Checks were cashed at same time but K2 (10 yr old) never received her 1-765 AP Travel authorization.   Any clues?  Its been 9 months waiting for Advance Parole for the K2.   My wife did get a notice in April they were ready to schedule her interview.  that never came about because of COVID. I suppose its just a wating game at this point?

Good afternoon,

I am working on finishing up all of our paperwork before our upcoming wedding so we can send it off and hopefully be in the system before the fee change etc!
I have read a lot of things about K2 AOS getting kicked back for reasons people aren't sure of but mostly relating to principal and derivative applicant. My question pertains to what I am meant to write about my daughter in my application. She is listed as my child in Part 6 and I have noted that she is applying with me - correct? However in part two there is question 12 and 13 which ask for the receipt number and priority date of the principal applicant -which I am- and I have filled that out. Following that it immediately asks about the derivative applicant. Am I meant to fill out her details here on my application? Or only fill this out in hers (14a to 18) and leave the question 12 and 13 blank?

Basically I just want to check that I have put all of the information needed in MY K1 AOS form about her that I need to and making sure I put all of the information about ME in hers where it goes? If anyone who has applied can elaborate on what they did I would appreciate it very much.

I just want to make sure all of the boxes are correct and we don't get any RFE for an oversight. I hope this question makes sense.

Thank you!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Timeline

We just received our AOS interview date.  Was mailed 9/21.  We had a notification for an appointment back in March for April... but never confirmed. 6 months later.  Filed on Nov 14/2019

Timeline
On 8/7/2020 at 1:01 PM, IBE2CA said:

We filed for the K1 and K2  AOS 485 in Nov 2019.  My  Wife (K-1) received her AP travel authorization (I-131), SSN and her work permit (I-765) in May. K2 received the first NOA in Dec.   We sent the fees for both K1 and K2 at the same time.  Both Checks were cashed at same time but K2 (10 yr old) never received her 1-765 AP Travel authorization.   Any clues?  Its been 9 months waiting for Advance Parole for the K2.   My wife did get a notice in April they were ready to schedule her interview.  that never came about because of COVID. I suppose its just a wating game at this point?

Both my wife and her daughter finally received an appointment date for the AOS interview. We filed in Nov 2019. Oct 30th 2020 in San Bernardino Ca.   Just needed to ride out the COVID delays.  Good luck to all.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.