Maleman

Louisiana driver’s license

10 posts in this topic

The Louisiana DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) states they will not issue a K-1 Visa candidate a Louisiana driver’s license. When you call them DMV you get several different opinions as to what constitutes a change of status, outside of the K-1 applicant getting a notification of a “Green Card” or the tangible “Green Card” itself. Has anyone experienced the trial and error of getting a Louisiana driver’s license for a K-1 visa member? Will the USCIS send you notification that your K-1 Visa status has changed before you actually get an approved change?

Thanks the Maleman

You need to apply for Adjustment of Status to get a green card. It doesn't come automatically after entering on a K-1 visa.

Guide is here http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

A lot of DMVs won't give DLs to K-1 visa holders.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

What’s crazy here is Louisiana will give a license to a K-3 holder, but not a K-1. The technical difference does not make sense in this case.

Yeah, maybe it doesn't make sense. But a K-3 visa is a multiple-entry visa good for 2 years. A K-1 is a single entry visa which gives a 90-day authorized stay.

I can sort of see why they don't do it, even though it is annoying. Prepare for your spouse to be in limbo for a while. Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

What’s crazy here is Louisiana will give a license to a K-3 holder, but not a K-1. The technical difference does not make sense in this case.

Illinois is the same way.....no DL unless they have a GC. Illinois will issue a driver's learner's permit without the GC though.

Best bet for you.......file AOS for the GC.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

The Louisiana DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) states they will not issue a K-1 Visa candidate a Louisiana driver’s license. When you call them DMV you get several different opinions as to what constitutes a change of status, outside of the K-1 applicant getting a notification of a “Green Card” or the tangible “Green Card” itself. Has anyone experienced the trial and error of getting a Louisiana driver’s license for a K-1 visa member? Will the USCIS send you notification that your K-1 Visa status has changed before you actually get an approved change?

Thanks the Maleman

I live in Louisiana, Once the AOS is filed and you receive the EAD (Work Authorization) then they will issue the drivers license. This is a change in status. It will only be good for 1 yr as that is how long the EAD is valid for. By the time it expires the green card should be issued and you just renew the drivers license. This is how my wife received her drivers license.

I just got my LA driver's license, good for 4 years, from the Lake Charles OMV. I don't yet have my EAD or Green Card.

They wanted to see...

Passport with unexpired K-1 visa.

I-797C form showing receipt of I-485 application.

Marriage certificate

Social Security Card

Overseas Driving Licence

Vehicle Registration

Proof of Insurance

I think I paid $24

I had to do the driving test and computer-based theory test. Given how easy these were, I now know why I've had so many near-death experiences on the roads here!!

I arrived just after 8am and left, with my license, at 10.30am.

Hope this helps.

Edited by punkydawg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

it's the same pretty much everywhere, because they won't give you a driver's license without proof of legal presence (except for a bunch of states). In CA you can apply for one and take the test as long as your I-94 has still 30 (or 60, I don't remember) days left before expiry. By the time you get the license, though, it will be already expired because it will only be good for as long as the I-94 is valid (i.e. a couple of months). With the EAD you get a license valid for one year. I suppose that with the conditional green card you'll get a license valid for 2 years.

once you have it, of course you don't need to retake the tests to renew it. you just pay. 30 bucks every time. :bonk:

• 5 years later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Old stale thread closed to further comment, start a new thread~

Pitaya

VJ Moderation

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.