Robert87

Credit card extension

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

before ill start to ask. i hope the moderator will transfer this to where this post should be.

I and my fiancee plans to get marry this february. and we are planning to make me as an extension of her credit card. ( fyi, she is the USC, I am the beneficiary. ). my questions are:

1. is it possible for her to make me as an extension to her credit card if we are still not married? or even if were already married>?

2. Will I need to have an SSN for that process. since i am not from US, I dont have an SSN.

3. what other possible requirements we may need. I know its bank specific, but could anyone tell me what were their requirements back then?

i will really really appreciate your response. thanks alot..

lovelots

I can't answer question one, specifically, but I can tell you that I did add my husband as an authorized user on both of my credit cards (he is still in the DR and has no SSN). It was incredibly easy. I actually did it online with both, and neither asked for a SSN. I don't believe it will help build his credit at all (since it is technically still my account, I am responsible, he is just an authorized user), but it does seem to me to be proof of bona-fide relationship (comingling of finances, in a way), and it's good for him to have in case of emergencies.

Good luck!

IR-5

• USCIS scan date - 11/07/2014
  • NVC scan date - 03/06/2015
  • NVC case complete - 08/01/2015
  • Interview scheduled - 09/14/2015
  • Interview - 10/08/2015

Timeline
I can't answer question one, specifically, but I can tell you that I did add my husband as an authorized user on both of my credit cards (he is still in the DR and has no SSN). It was incredibly easy. I actually did it online with both, and neither asked for a SSN. I don't believe it will help build his credit at all (since it is technically still my account, I am responsible, he is just an authorized user), but it does seem to me to be proof of bona-fide relationship (comingling of finances, in a way), and it's good for him to have in case of emergencies.

Good luck!

thank you very much for your quick response.. btw, what bank are you from? and how fast it could be process? did the bank sent it directly to your husband. or thru you then you send it to him?.. thanks alot..

One card is an airline specific card (Spirit Airline MasterCard), the other is a Discover Card. They mailed them both to me, and then I brought them to my husband when I visited.

One was mailed to my name at my address--that one arrived in less than 2 weeks. The other, I can only assume they addressed to him, and that it wasn't delivered because of it. That one never arrived, so I called them and asked them to add my name (in addition to his) to my mailing address. Then it arrived in about 2 weeks.

Just a reminder--if your SO is in the Philippines, and is going to be using the card there, call the credit card company (maybe when you activate the card) to tell them to put a notice on your card, so that it's not blocked with a fraud alert the first time it's used in the Philippines. It'll be a lot easier than trying to get it unblocked from there later!!!

IR-5

• USCIS scan date - 11/07/2014
  • NVC scan date - 03/06/2015
  • NVC case complete - 08/01/2015
  • Interview scheduled - 09/14/2015
  • Interview - 10/08/2015

Timeline
Posted Today, 02:33 PM

One card is an airline specific card (Spirit Airline MasterCard), the other is a Discover Card. They mailed them both to me, and then I brought them to my husband when I visited.

One was mailed to my name at my address--that one arrived in less than 2 weeks. The other, I can only assume they addressed to him, and that it wasn't delivered because of it. That one never arrived, so I called them and asked them to add my name (in addition to his) to my mailing address. Then it arrived in about 2 weeks.

Just a reminder--if your SO is in the Philippines, and is going to be using the card there, call the credit card company (maybe when you activate the card) to tell them to put a notice on your card, so that it's not blocked with a fraud alert the first time it's used in the Philippines. It'll be a lot easier than trying to get it unblocked from there later!!!

Thank you so much for your help.. Im glad you responded. really really appreciate it. thanks again. best of luck for you and your husband. godbless

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

I did the same for my then-fiance (no SSN and not physically here). Very easy however (in my case) the account will remain only be in USC's name. Account holder promises the credit card company to "cover" all cards. My bank was Capital One. I'm not sure this can be used as evidence of financial intermingling.

USCIS: I-130

•09/26/2010 - Married
•10/25/2010 - Mailed I-130 (we applied for CR-1 not knowing she would get a job with H1B)
•10/26/2010 - I-130 signed for at Chicago Lockbox
•10/28/2010 - USCIS Acceptance Confirmation via email/txt (routed to California Service Center)
•10/29/2010 - Touched
•11/01/2010 - Received hardcopy of NOA1 in the mail.

•12/17/2010 - Beneficiary accepts job with US company
•01/04/2011 - US Employer submits H-1B petition with premium processing
•01/05/2011 - H-1B NOA2
•02/04/2011 - H-1B Consulate Interview -- APPROVED
•02/28/2011 - POE (with H-1B)
•03/16/2011 - I-130 NOA2 -- APPROVED

•03/26/2011 - Mailed AOS
•04/01/2011 - USCIS Acceptance Confirmation via email/txt
•04/27/2011 - Biometrics Appointment
•05/14/2011 - Appointment notification arrives via mail
•06/15/2011 - Interview Appointment-- APPROVED

•12/30/2012 - Purse with greencard stolen from car

•12/31/2012 - I-90 filed online

•01/31/2013 - Biometrics Appointment

•05/29/2013 - I-90 -- APPROVED

•06/07/2013 - I-751 mailed

•06/16/2013 - NOA with notice of 1 year extension arrives.

•09/24/2013 - Removal of conditional basis -- APPROVED

•03/19/2014 - N-400 mailed

•04/14/2014 - Biometrics Appointment

•07/02/2014 - Interview-- APPROVED

•07/16/2014 - Oath Ceremony

we did it when my husband was just my fiance, we did it before he went back to thailand (long before we petitioned) and it was no problem the usc can basically authorise anyone they would like as a user and get them a card in their name however the usc is the only responsible party for the debt. also capital one and they will only mail the card to the primary card holder.

good luck!

ROC Timeline

18 NOV 2010 Sent 1.8lb packet to USCIS in Laguna Niguel (day 1)

19 NOV 2010 Package signed for V SEMEGI (day 2)

24 NOV 2010 Package returned because USC didn't sign petition (day 6)

calendar reset

26 NOV 2010 Package sent out again (day 1)

29 NOV 2010 Package signed for by V SEMEGI (day 3)

29 NOV 2010 NOA1 issued (day 3)

03 DEC 2010 Hardcopy of NOA received (day 7)

07 JAN 2011 Successful walk in biometrics (day 42) original date 1 FEB

01 MAR 2011 Date on Approval notice (although it arrived after the card did) (day 94)

03 MAR 2011 Card received (day 96)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.