zosima

AOS on B2 visitor visa

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hey experts, :-)

I just got married to an american girl here in the USA. I came with full intend to marry with my B2 visa, I even told them at immigration. I completely disregarded the fact that we might have trouble at my AOS since I'm on a visitors visa now. Now I'm hitting myself

I'm from Europe, and in the country for only 2 months now (so no overstaying). I got the multi entry B1/B2 visa several years ago, without the intend to marry.

We were planing to file I-130 and I-485, etc all together right now but realized that my status might give us trouble.

How to proceed?

- Risk it and file it anyhow?

- go CR1 or K-3 route?

- apply for greencard from outside?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Did they write anything in your passport when you told them you had intent to marry etc?

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

I would file the CR-1. Its the safest course of action. Since you probable have about 4 months left on your visa, stay with your wife and then head back home when you have to.

Of course you could take your chances with the AOS, since you didnt actually "apply" for the visa with the intent to marry, and if you told CBP that you intended to get married, you can be darn sure its on your visa file somewhere.

K-3's are obsolete, as they take just as much time as the CR-1 and you dont get to work once you get it.

Hope this helps. Its the safest option. If there are others Im sure someone will chime in with it.

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Filed: Other Timeline

Most likely, nobody will ever ask you about intent at the AOS interview. But even if it came up, intent alone cannot be used as a reason for denial. In this case, the happiness of the US citizen now being married outweighs your presumed intent to get married.

You have absolutely nothing to worry about and should not give it another thought.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Timeline

K, thank you guys for your help!

I'm leaning towards trying it with AOS instead of CR-1.

If I would go the CR-1 route, what would be the process? Correct me if i'm wrong:

1. My wife sends I-130
  2. I leave the US and apply for CR-1 immigration visa at my home country (Switzerland)
  3. Getting CR-1 approved (how long?) (interview?)
  4. I come back to the US with CR-1
  5. Do the AOS back here in the US.

I have no real hurry to get a work permit, since I'm a freelancer, but the most important thing is that we are separated as little as possible, thus wanting to go the AOS route. But if AOS fails we're screwed...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

CR-1 doesnt AOS, when you enter on CR-1 you wait and get your green card in the mail.

Make sure you dont forget anything if you choose AOS rout, all the evidence etc is included with your papers and you send all the papers at the same time in the same envelope. Be prepared for an interview with you and your wife.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.