Ma Vie

After 5 Months of Waiting for NOA2, Got RFE

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

As the topic title states - After 5 Months of waiting for NOA2, received RFE instead.. I am beside myself.. Little background, this is our 2nd filing of the Fiance Visa.. The first denied, closed and I received a letter stating I was free to refile.. I hired an attorney, had 2 Senators involved and passed everything by the 3 people mentioned.. I addressed everything the interviewer said was wrong.. Now I receive the RFE with more issues from the interview, one of wish was he did not know how far my state was from California and the other he could not describe my job "to the satisifaction of the interviewer" (directly quoted).. I read what was written about my job and my fiance told the truth.. Anyway, I'm venting, sorry.. I now have 3 weeks to address the RFE.. Has anyone experienced a RFE and if so, can anyone PLEASE offer any insite into this? Thank you so much for your time..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We got an RFE, you just need to address the exact circumstances of the RFE. Answer exactly what they want and don't try to add more evidence or info to your case when you send back the RFE

So what exactly is the RFE? Do you know

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

We got an RFE, you just need to address the exact circumstances of the RFE. Answer exactly what they want and don't try to add more evidence or info to your case when you send back the RFE

So what exactly is the RFE? Do you know

Good luck

I need to address the questions that the interviewer felt were not answered good enough.. Questions such as how he answered in regards to my job description, as I stated previously.. I am not quite sure how to answer those questions, i.e., what book am I currently reading, how far is my state from California.. Just how do I answer that? Wish us luck..

Timeline

I guess you need to explain the questions the interviewer asked, how your fiance answered the question, and then an explanation/justification for his answers and perhaps how you've addressed that with your fiance. Like, that you've helped him familiarize himself with where the states are, and you've explained your job in more detail. That's how I'd address the RFE.

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

i would include a copy of my resume and have my boss write me a letter detailing my job and then hold that up against what my wife said with a nice letter stating that you feel that her answer was within reason and in line with what you have previously told her about your job in passing conversations of a general work day, or something to that affect.

as far as how far your state is from california, tell him to get a map. or just provide him a google map with directions to and from. course i dont see how that holds any weight with regard to your interview, how is she supposed to know how far it is.

I-129F Sent : 2010-07-17

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-07-23

Touch: 2010-08-02

Touch: 2010-10-03

NOA2: 2010-01-10

Interview: 2011-02-08 - Approved

Visa Printed: 2011-02-10

Sent to 2Go: 2011-02-14 (scheduled for noon delivery as per consulate)

Pckup @ 2Go: 2011-02-15 (Will hold at routing Hub for same day pick up)

POE (LAX): 2011-02-16

As the topic title states - After 5 Months of waiting for NOA2, received RFE instead.. I am beside myself.. Little background, this is our 2nd filing of the Fiance Visa.. The first denied, closed and I received a letter stating I was free to refile.. I hired an attorney, had 2 Senators involved and passed everything by the 3 people mentioned.. I addressed everything the interviewer said was wrong.. Now I receive the RFE with more issues from the interview, one of wish was he did not know how far my state was from California and the other he could not describe my job "to the satisifaction of the interviewer" (directly quoted).. I read what was written about my job and my fiance told the truth.. Anyway, I'm venting, sorry.. I now have 3 weeks to address the RFE.. Has anyone experienced a RFE and if so, can anyone PLEASE offer any insite into this? Thank you so much for your time..

Does the RFE relates to the first or the second petition? Howcome a RFE ask issues about your interview? You mentioned the interviewer, is this all relates to your first case or howcome you had an interview before NOA2? Sorry, i am trying to understand where you stand...

Edited by Go Green

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Does the RFE relates to the first or the second petition? Howcome a RFE ask issues about your interview? You mentioned the interviewer, is this all relates to your first case or howcome you had an interview before NOA2? Sorry, i am trying to understand where you stand...

She stated in the first posting that she had been denied, they closed the first petition and she refiled for the same visa again. The RFE she received demonstrates why this isn't always a good idea, since refiling doesn't make the issues from the first denial go away. Basically, she is experiencing what she would have had if her case had been reviewed. So OP, what I'd suggest you do is prepare what is essentially a rebuttal letter, like you would if your original case was being reviewed. Cover all the issues from the interview in as much detail as possible. Knowledge of American geography is not something that is taught in great detail in Moroccan schools- not enough for your fiance to know distances between states. My husband is living here and couldn't tell you how far he is from California, other than "It's far" or "It's on the other side of the country". Morocco is a damn small country compared to ours and often times I find my husband has difficulty visualizing just how big it is. This is something you could mention in the letter. And if your fiance described your job to the best of his ability, that's all he can do. Do also include further evidence of an ongoing relationship with your RFE. Perhaps someone else has more advice..

Sarah

My own American husband didn't know how far Hawaii was from California. You need to somehow explain in your letter that knowledge of US geography is really 100% irrelevant. But do try to get that across without appearing too scathing. You could also include any examples of what your fiance has learnt about US geography from his conversations with you. (Even if it is just talking about your own town. Which would surely be more important than anything else.)

Again, the same with the job. Explain in detail what your job is and instances of when you have talked to your fiance about it and show how what he said was correct.

In a way, this is YOUR chance to be interviewed and present the reality of your relationship. Don't go overboard with extraneous details, but do try to include some relevant anecdotes.

Good luck !

Timeline

My own American husband didn't know how far Hawaii was from California. You need to somehow explain in your letter that knowledge of US geography is really 100% irrelevant. But do try to get that across without appearing too scathing. You could also include any examples of what your fiance has learnt about US geography from his conversations with you. (Even if it is just talking about your own town. Which would surely be more important than anything else.)

Again, the same with the job. Explain in detail what your job is and instances of when you have talked to your fiance about it and show how what he said was correct.

In a way, this is YOUR chance to be interviewed and present the reality of your relationship. Don't go overboard with extraneous details, but do try to include some relevant anecdotes.

Good luck !

Um...It may not be relevant to you or the petitioner, but obviously it is relevant to the adjudicator. So honestly, put how far your state is from California.

What did the exact RFE letter say?

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Your lawyer should have addressed the possible issues of the 1st case. Even though the case was closed they still have the notes from the 1st case. As suggested, you should write a rebuttal letter.

01/2006 - Filed k1(1st time)

04/2006 - Interview (1st time) denied

Waited, waited...... no review

06/2009 - Filed k1 (2nd time)

09/2009 - NOA 2 approved

12/2009 - Interview (2nd time) APPROVED! VISA ISSUED

02/2010 - Arrived USA

04/2010 - Married

AOS Timeline

4/19/2010-Sent to Chicago Lockbox

4/26/2010-Received texts and emails 7th day

4/30/2010-Received NOA's(Hardcopies) 11th day

5/3/2010-Received ASC appointment notice(mailed 4/29/2010)14th day

5/7/2010-Walk-in Biometrics done(2 weeks earlier)18th day

5/13/2010-Case transferred to CSC

6/2/2010- Case received/resumed at CSC

6/18,6/22,6/23 AOS touches

6/28/2010- EAD production and touch on AP

6/29/2010-AOS APPROVED

7/2/2010- 2nd update on EAD production and touched on AP....

7/6/2010- Received "Welcome Letter" and AP document

7/12/2010-Received GREEN CARD and EAD

greencard.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The two apparent issues:

1) Job description

A previous person had a good idea - have your employer provide a written description of your job, and also include your resume. If it is a type of work which is rather full or jargon or is technical, then you may need to take the above and put it in lay terms - ie terms someone not in your field of work would understand.

2) Distance your state is from California

The internet or google is your friend. There isn't any reason you shouldn't be able to find out the distance with all the resources available on the internet. Find out the information and present it in your packet sent back to address the RFE. If it helps, print out a google map with point A and point B on it and the actual distance in between.

Formerly of not so sunny Syracuse, New York (and going way back, Davis California!)

- 2008 Aug Met and began online relationship

- 2008 Dec 2-7 Met 1st time in person (England)

- 2009 Mar 28 Became engaged

- 2009 Apr 2-15 Met 2nd time in person (Syracuse-NY-USA)

- 2009 Aug 25 - Sep 25 Met 3rd time in person (Syracuse-NY-USA)

- 2009 Oct 19 Sent I-129F Application to USCIS

- 2009 Oct 30 NOA1 received

- 2010 Jan 20 NOA2 received (Approval Notice)

- 2010 Feb 4 Notified that approved I-129F petition forward to US Emabassy at London

- 2010 Mar 26 - Apr 15 Met 4th time in person (Fairfax-VA-USA)

- 2010 July 29 Fiancee had medical in London

- 2010 July 30 London Embassy Interview Date (K1 Visa approved pending a laundry list of medial stuff)

- 2010 Nov 2 Courier website shows K1 Visa packet enroute for delivery. 1st indication of final approval!

- 2010 Nov 3 K1 Visa packet delivered by courier! Visa's are in the building and in my fiancees hands! (tentative Jan 2011 arrival)

Timeline

The two apparent issues:

1) Job description

A previous person had a good idea - have your employer provide a written description of your job, and also include your resume. If it is a type of work which is rather full or jargon or is technical, then you may need to take the above and put it in lay terms - ie terms someone not in your field of work would understand.

2) Distance your state is from California

The internet or google is your friend. There isn't any reason you shouldn't be able to find out the distance with all the resources available on the internet. Find out the information and present it in your packet sent back to address the RFE. If it helps, print out a google map with point A and point B on it and the actual distance in between.

That's a good idea, but I think she needs to explain why her fiance didn't know this information and demonstrate how she has helped him learn.

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

I'd like to thank everyone for their help and suggestions.. The way the RFE is written is in 7 bullet points stating what he got right, wrong or not explained enough.. According to the attached letter I need to address each bullet point.. The questions asked were plain silly (distance from my state to California, what are my political views).. The important questions, what we have in common, names of family members, where I work, how does he feel about moving to a new country, were answered "in an acceptable manner" (exact quote).. Yes, the lawyer should have known the problem we ran into was we could NOT get a copy of the interviewers results (the 7 bullet points).. The visa was listed as "not denied, only sent for further review" and then 5 weeks after that letter the denial letter came with "case closed feel free to refile, etc." in the letter.. I addressed everything the lawyer and senators felt were possible issues, but I did not EXACTLY ADDRESS WHAT THE INTERVIEWER STATED and that is what I need to do now.. I was pretty much expecting an RFE to be honest, but thought it would be for more than geographical, political issues.. They give you 30 days to have your answers sent back to them from the date of the letter; the letter is dated November 3 and I received it November 9, I have 3 weeks to get all this together in an appropriate manner..

Just to note, after further reading and speaking to my senator it is NOT a good idea to add tons of other evidence; Immigration ONLY wants an answer to their questions as stated in their letter to me.. Now, some of you could receive different requests (proof of ongoing relationship, continuing relationship), I did not.. I was instructed to just answer as requested..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.