laurlaur91

Arizona Immigration Laws

50 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The US does not want to have an ID system.

The US actually needs an ID system.

So the DL and SSN have become an ID system despite not being suitable or logical as an ID.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

The US does not want to have an ID system.

The US actually needs an ID system.

So the DL and SSN have become an ID system despite not being suitable or logical as an ID.

I don't want a National ID where it must legally be carried at all times, but I wouldn't mind retiring the SS cards for a proper National ID with the number on it. Make me carry it to a new employer, or to get my car registration renewed etc. but let me keep it in a lock box the rest of the time.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

In the UK you do not have to have your DL with you when driving, in the US you do. Try flying without ID.

I do not like that we have come to that, but too many mistakes have been made.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

In the UK you do not have to have your DL with you when driving, in the US you do. Try flying without ID.

I do not like that we have come to that, but too many mistakes have been made.

Yeah I liked that, you had what 48 hours to bring your license to the station? Of course I thought it was silly that the card wasn't the "complete" license and you had to have the paper counterpart.

Edited by Sousuke

Brewer/Arpaio 2012!

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Other Timeline

They are stupid ands worthless. If Arizona REALLY wants to stop illegal immigration into Arizona they will pass a TAX that will wipe out any business, employer or homeowner that dares to hire an illegal alien. $500,000 per day per person ought to do it. Obama will love it...he loves taxes.

Why a tax? Because it is not a crime there is no court needed and you can seize property to pay tax. Hire an illegal to mow your lawn? LOSE YOUR HOUSE! Who do you think will do it? Which illegal immigrant will remain when no one will hire them?

No need for fences or for police to check IDs, just make it economical suicide to hire an illegal alien and NO ONE will do it. Make it economically bankrupt for an illegal to seek work in Arizona and no one will do it.

They ARE here for the $. Employers hire them to save $. FIX THAT and the problem evaporates. No deportation needed, they will WALK out.

Who gives a rat's @ss about ID? Stop the GRAVY TRAIN and all the illegals will jump off and RUN HOME

The Arizona cops' argument is that it's not their job to check the immigration status of a person. Some of them say they are not trained to do so. Now you want to put that burden on grandma, who wants to hire a gardener? You expect a 70 year-old woman to determine if Jose, her gardener, has a Green Card or a fake ID and in case she makes a mistake take her house away?

Are you serious?

Edited by Just Bob

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Pretty much the same as Gary. Its a waste of time. Even if people were apprehended, the Feds still have to process them and they don't have the resources. Because of the difficulty with determining illegal status when no ID is required outside of operating a vehicle, the law would have been costly in terms of lawsuits (as has been shown with 287G)

The Federal government might be stretched but they always manage to spend money it all and more anyway. What major government law doesn't attract lawsuits? Does that mean should have never passed healthcare reform because of widespread lawsuits?

We still 287G around and no lawsuit has provoked an injunction.

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The Arizona cops' argument is that it's not their job to check the immigration status of a person. Some of them say they are not trained to do so. Now you want to put that burden on grandma, who wants to hire a gardener? You expect a 70 year-old woman to determine if Jose, her gardener, has a Green Card or a fake ID and in case she makes a mistake take her house away?

Are you serious?

Yes, I am serious.

Other people are NOT serious and really do not want to eliminate slave labor and avoidance of wage and hour laws. They piddle around with useless laws, silly fences, etc. all intended to make it "look" like they are doing something. Amnesty is just a conscription of new slaves to work for Republicans and a release of the old ones into government dependency and votes for Democrats

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

AZ SB 1070 is a good law and the Federal government is/was badly mistaken in taking it to court. The law only seeks to allow State and local law enforcement to undertake duties abrogated by the relevant Federal bodies.

Anyone who thinks that penalties against businesses employing illegal aliens alone will solve the problem are sadly deluded. I agree that such action will be a major contributor to the resolving the situation, but on its own it will not accomplish the task.

We need penalties against the employers, we need to be able to identify, detain and deport illegal aliens and we need to secure the border. Any one part alone will not be enough. We need all of them in place and enforced.

And if the Federal government is unwilling to perform that duty, they need to allow State and local enforcement agencies to do so instead.

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Timeline

The Federal government might be stretched but they always manage to spend money it all and more anyway. What major government law doesn't attract lawsuits? Does that mean should have never passed healthcare reform because of widespread lawsuits?

We still 287G around and no lawsuit has provoked an injunction.

I wasn't even refering to lawsuits over the law itself. Just the lawsuits raised by individuals during enforcement.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A thought that occurred to me just today: Let's say that strong laws are passed to penalize employers & individuals for hiring illegals. Immigration law is complex enough even for us here on VJ, and the unwashed public have even less of a clue about green cards, EAD, lawful status, waivers, period of authorized stay, etc.

Accordingly, couldn't the strong laws cause employers to avoid hiring LEGAL immigrants, out of the employers' fear for their own skins? ("I don't understand this Immigration stuff, and I don't have time to study it or mess with it, and I'm not gonna risk my business or my home or my clean record, so I'm only gonna hire BORN AMERICANS, si man.")

Discuss, si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

A thought that occurred to me just today: Let's say that strong laws are passed to penalize employers & individuals for hiring illegals. Immigration law is complex enough even for us here on VJ, and the unwashed public have even less of a clue about green cards, EAD, lawful status, waivers, period of authorized stay, etc.

Accordingly, couldn't the strong laws cause employers to avoid hiring LEGAL immigrants, out of the employers' fear for their own skins? ("I don't understand this Immigration stuff, and I don't have time to study it or mess with it, and I'm not gonna risk my business or my home or my clean record, so I'm only gonna hire BORN AMERICANS, si man.")

Discuss, si man.

Mandatory E-Verify.

If there is no flag raised against the name of a potential employee, then an employer has carried out an agreed level of due diligence and is not liable.

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

I don't want a National ID where it must legally be carried at all times, but I wouldn't mind retiring the SS cards for a proper National ID with the number on it. Make me carry it to a new employer, or to get my car registration renewed etc. but let me keep it in a lock box the rest of the time.
In a way, the US already has National-ID's which must be carried cent-percent of time--albeit it applies to noncitizens: GC (or EAD), or visa-papers.

And it has never been answered why the US cannot adapt (for NATURALISED citizens) a wallet-size certificate (instead of the letter-paper-sized one) which can be optionally carried (as is the case in Canada--where one does NOT need to carry papers at all times), and make application of such optional for by-birth citizens.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

There already is a national wallet-sized form of proof of identity & citizenship: the $20 passport card that's pretty much only good for going to Canada and Mexico.

I-129F Petition Mailed: 26 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA1: 27 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA2: 15 Jan 2010

K-1 VisaNVC: 22-27 Jan 2010 ♥ RdJ receipt: 1 Feb 2010 ♥ Packet 3/4: 12 Feb 2010 ♥ Interview: 4 May 2010

»-(¯`·.·´¯)-> Married (17 Aug 2010) <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«

AOS (I-485)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ To CSC: 20 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ RFE: 10 -16 Nov 2010 ♥ Approved: 18 Nov 2010

AP (I-131)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

EAD (I-765)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

ROC (I-751)Mailed: 6 Nov 2012 ♥ NOA: 7 Nov 2012 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Dec 2012 ♥ Approved: 15 May 2013

Naturalization (N-400)Mailed: 03 August 2015 ♥ NOA: 07 August 2015 ♥ Biometrics: 3 Sept 2015 ♥ Interview: 13 Nov 2015 ♥ Oath: 8 Dec '15