sarah9

Advice needed before visiting my fiance please!!

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi there

I'm getting a bit concerned about my upcoming trip to visit my fiance in the US! I was thinking in my mind, that worse case scenario would be being sent straight back home - but after reading some posts on here, i realised that i would be liable for the cost of a return flight home! Now i know from experience that same day flights home cost approx $2500, and that is a lot of money on top of what i've already spent on my existing flights.

I'm looking for any advice people can offer me!

I spent 87 days with my fiance, returning home on 23rd September. There is an 8 week gap between me returning (due to be on 22nd november) and i intend to stay for another 87 days. I am aware that this is the maximum i can stay in a 12 month period on the visa waiver programme.

The reason that i have opted for 2 long breaks close together is simple, i am currently in a position where i am financially stable without needing to work. I will however be returning to full time employment when i return to the UK in february (assuming they let me into the US in the first place that is) I will not be able to visit my fiance then, which is why we want to spend as much time together as possible before that happens.

I read on here about clearing border patrol in Dublin being the best option - now i may be being stupid, but could anyone explain this to me? why is Dublin different to other airports? I always fly from my local airport, to amsterdam, and then onto my destination in Detroit. And although i go through the border checks before boarding the plane in amsterdam, i clearly still need to go through border patrol in detroit!

This will be my first time visiting my fiance since filing the petition (we received our NOA1 about 2 weeks ago)

I know that it is suggested to bring as much evidence of my ties to the UK with me as I can. It is a little tough for me as i will not have a job when i go (i will be leaving my current job to go) and i have already sold my house (didn't realise it would sell so quickly) I'm currently staying with my parents so no lease agreement etc. I plan on bringing a copy of my car log book (to prove i still own a car in the UK) and a copy of my car insurance. I also thought of bank statements to prove i still have UK accounts, and i'll have travel insurance documents to cover my stay. But i'm struggling to think of anything else!

It's so frustrating, I know I have no intention of "staying" in the US, and i am doing everything legally - but how do i prove that to a suspicious stranger!!!

I was already worried about the whole thing, but the thought of having to spend another $2500 to be sent home is seriously making me consider calling the whole thing off. (the trip, not the engagement!!!!!!!)

I would really appreciate any information or advice people can offer me!

Oh and one more question - has anyone here been refused entry to the US? I'm just wondering what happens???

Thanks for your help

Sarah :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I spent almost 3 months here from August 2009 and then came in again around Christmas 2009 and spent another three months. I had very little proof with me, as I also didn't have a job or lease (stayed with my parents as well). I had to go to secondary questioning in August, but they did let me in. The December visit was very easy.

I think it's "luck of the draw" in a way, but I hope you won't have any trouble. Do you have a written job offer for the job in February?

The only people from VWP countries that I know that have been sent back were a) a girl who overstayed for months as an au pair and b) a guy from Britain who worked in the US illegally for years. :blush:

Anyway, all anecdotal evidence, but I visited my then fiance a lot, and it all worked out.

Good luck!

Vera

---

see timeline for K1 and AOS

09/28/2012: Packet sent; I-751

10/01/2012: Packet delivered to VSC

10/02/2012: NOA (arrived Oct 6)

10/16/2012: Biometrics letter arrives

11/08/2012: Biometrics appointment

no interview

04/22/2013: Approved!

Timeline

Hello!

Oh that makes me feel so much better! I did wonder if there was anyone else out there who spent a lot of time in the US too! I know that a lot of it comes down to luck, but just hearing someone has actually got through makes me a little less panicky!!!

Unfortunately i don't have an official job offer for february as it will not be a contract as such. I'm an accountant, so i'll be doing freelance work for a company i used to work for. Although I could ask them to write a letter, i must admit i feel slightly uncomfortable doing that, as if something more secure came along in the meantime, I would take that instead - the main reason I've only agreed the job in principle!!

It's just great to hear people's personal experience!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi there

I'm getting a bit concerned about my upcoming trip to visit my fiance in the US! I was thinking in my mind, that worse case scenario would be being sent straight back home - but after reading some posts on here, i realised that i would be liable for the cost of a return flight home! Now i know from experience that same day flights home cost approx $2500, and that is a lot of money on top of what i've already spent on my existing flights.

I'm looking for any advice people can offer me!

I spent 87 days with my fiance, returning home on 23rd September. There is an 8 week gap between me returning (due to be on 22nd november) and i intend to stay for another 87 days. I am aware that this is the maximum i can stay in a 12 month period on the visa waiver programme.

The reason that i have opted for 2 long breaks close together is simple, i am currently in a position where i am financially stable without needing to work. I will however be returning to full time employment when i return to the UK in february (assuming they let me into the US in the first place that is) I will not be able to visit my fiance then, which is why we want to spend as much time together as possible before that happens.

I read on here about clearing border patrol in Dublin being the best option - now i may be being stupid, but could anyone explain this to me? why is Dublin different to other airports? I always fly from my local airport, to amsterdam, and then onto my destination in Detroit. And although i go through the border checks before boarding the plane in amsterdam, i clearly still need to go through border patrol in detroit!

This will be my first time visiting my fiance since filing the petition (we received our NOA1 about 2 weeks ago)

I know that it is suggested to bring as much evidence of my ties to the UK with me as I can. It is a little tough for me as i will not have a job when i go (i will be leaving my current job to go) and i have already sold my house (didn't realise it would sell so quickly) I'm currently staying with my parents so no lease agreement etc. I plan on bringing a copy of my car log book (to prove i still own a car in the UK) and a copy of my car insurance. I also thought of bank statements to prove i still have UK accounts, and i'll have travel insurance documents to cover my stay. But i'm struggling to think of anything else!

It's so frustrating, I know I have no intention of "staying" in the US, and i am doing everything legally - but how do i prove that to a suspicious stranger!!!

I was already worried about the whole thing, but the thought of having to spend another $2500 to be sent home is seriously making me consider calling the whole thing off. (the trip, not the engagement!!!!!!!)

I would really appreciate any information or advice people can offer me!

Oh and one more question - has anyone here been refused entry to the US? I'm just wondering what happens???

Thanks for your help

Sarah :)

Hi Sarah, I visited my not then fiance last September stayed till end of November and came back this year in March till June while our 129f was processing and never had an issue. I do not work as am a home maker but I had an address to return to and that's what counts. I never had an issue coming to the states at all. You should be fine.

Edited by barbarajlw

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Dublin is a pre-clearance port, so therefore you'd go through US immigration and customs in Dublin, not in the US. SO if you are denied entry, your cost would only be from Dublin to home, not from the US to home

Make sense?

Bring any and all ties you have to your home country, including utility bills, lease or mortgage, proof of sufficient funds in the UK and a copy of your NOAs

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

Thanks, I've done a little research into the Dublin pre clearance thing, and i don't think it's going to be a feasable option for me. There are no direct flights from dublin to detroit, so I'd have to change a minimum of 2 times (one flight to dublin and then at least one transfer in the US) It would be virtually 24 hours of travelling, plus a huge additional cost! I've already booked my flights to route via amsterdam.

I think that if I go, i will have to take the chance of getting turned away - and having to pay the rediculous price for a fare home!

I just need to weigh up how much of a risk it is! I'd really love to hear from anyone who has been/knows of someone being turned away.

Thanks so much for all the replies so far :)

Timeline

I was denied entry twice, once for not having enough ties to Canada and one for having immigrant intent (married to a USC with the process underway)

No impact on my immigrant visa

GOod luck

USCIS
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011

Citizenship

Waited...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Last year, I did essentially the same thing you are doing - visiting for long periods, then coming home, and visiting again. I was able to do that because I took a year off between undergrad & grad school. The first few extended visits were fine, "have a nice trip" kind of "questioning" at the border, but the last time I visited was much different. I was put in secondary for about an hour and a half, and grilled as to my intent. The officer seemed convinced I had immigrant intent, and I was so frustrated because to me, it was obvious that was untrue, given I had my student summer job to come back to in April & was enrolled in grad school for the fall. Eventually, he did believe me that we had no intentions of getting married and that was I coming back to Canada when I said I was. So, just be prepared for the questioning.

As long as you have ties to your home country and you can prove it, and you can keep your cool under questioning (I swear he was trying to make me cry!!), then you should be fine. But, considering this is your second trip of almost 3 months in the past couple months, I would say your chances of getting questioned more are reasonably high. Bring your proof, keep your cool, and it should be okay :)

Oh, and I haven't really attemped to visit since then. I have crossed twice into the US since, but both were just day trips (Niagara Falls & Detroit). Crossing into Detroit, we were together, and questioned as to how we knew each other, how long we'd be together, what we were doing there, when we were going back to Canada, when my fiance was going back to the US from his visit, etc. In the end, it was fine though.

Good luck!

May 25th, 2010 : Filed I-129F at CSC

June 1st, 2010 : NoA1

June 7th, 2010 : Touch

October 19th, 2010: Touch

October 20th, 2010: NoA2! (141 days)

November 8th, 2010: Received Packet 3 from Montreal

November 10th, 2010: Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal

November 25th: Received Packet 4 & Scheduled interview!

March 8th, 2011: Interview in Montreal - Approved!

April 30th, 2011: Move to CA

May 6th, 2011: Married <3

May 31st, 2011: Filed AOS

June 6th, 2011: NoA1

June 13th, 2011: Received Notice for Biometrics

July 7th, 2011: Biometrics

August 22, 2011: AOS Interview - Approved!

August 29th, 2011: Greencard in hand!

Timeline

Arrrrrrgh!!! Now i'm super nervous!!!!

I had a little bit of a grilling the last time i went, and i only said i was staying with a "friend" hence why i'm worrying about the current situation! I clearly need to be honest now that we've started the application!!!

The thing that i don't understand is why they would think that i would be trying to "sneak in" - i mean why would you pay for the petition and then try to sneak in!!! I'm a professional person, from a good background, who is in a genuine relationship - i'm not in the slightest worried about being refused the K1 visa, but if it was refused, we'd just change our plans and he would move to the UK instead! Neither of us could care less where we live, it's the being together part that matters!!

Plus, if i did sneak in - they'd know exactly where to find me, because my fiance's address is stated on my ESTA (visa waiver) ;)

Well I guess I'd better get practising on the keeping cool thing...... as the way i feel at the moment i'm quite likely to burst into tears before they ask me a question! :)

Timeline

It is their job to assume you're going to 'sneank in' until you prove to them you are not. They are to assume EVERYONE as immigrant intent and it is up to you to show that you do not.

NEVER lie to a CBP, you are not staying with a friend so do not tell them you are

Good luck

USCIS
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011

Citizenship

Waited...

Timeline

I'm fully aware that it is their job! It is just frustrating, i'm sorry if it sounded like I was critisising the border patrol staff, that certainly wasn't my intent!

And i have no intention of saying i am staying with a friend when i enter in november. It's what i said when i went last time, and it wasn't strictly a lie, as i was not in a relationship with my fiance as such, i was going to spend time with him to see if things were going to develop into a relationship. At point of entry i technically was staying with a friend!

Hopefully that has cleared that up, i do appreciate your comments

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Arrrrrrgh!!! Now i'm super nervous!!!!

I had a little bit of a grilling the last time i went, and i only said i was staying with a "friend" hence why i'm worrying about the current situation! I clearly need to be honest now that we've started the application!!!

The thing that i don't understand is why they would think that i would be trying to "sneak in" - i mean why would you pay for the petition and then try to sneak in!!! I'm a professional person, from a good background, who is in a genuine relationship - i'm not in the slightest worried about being refused the K1 visa, but if it was refused, we'd just change our plans and he would move to the UK instead! Neither of us could care less where we live, it's the being together part that matters!!

Plus, if i did sneak in - they'd know exactly where to find me, because my fiance's address is stated on my ESTA (visa waiver) ;)

Well I guess I'd better get practising on the keeping cool thing...... as the way i feel at the moment i'm quite likely to burst into tears before they ask me a question! :)

Well, you should be honest with CBP EVERYTIME you cross the border. Tell them who you're staying with, and it really shouldn't be a big deal, as long as you have your proof of going back to the UK and you are completely honest.

When the questioning officer asked if we planned on getting married, I just said that yes, we would most certainly be getting married eventually, but that I had to finish grad school first, because I had mass amounts of student loans to repay, and couldn't do that with a low paying job.

Just be honest. If they think you are lying, they will ask you the same question over and over, in a slightly different way. That's what happened to me, and after the guard was satisfied my answers were the same after 1.5 hours, I was allowed to go on my way.

I'm fully aware that it is their job! It is just frustrating, i'm sorry if it sounded like I was critisising the border patrol staff, that certainly wasn't my intent!

And i have no intention of saying i am staying with a friend when i enter in november. It's what i said when i went last time, and it wasn't strictly a lie, as i was not in a relationship with my fiance as such, i was going to spend time with him to see if things were going to develop into a relationship. At point of entry i technically was staying with a friend!

Hopefully that has cleared that up, i do appreciate your comments

Oops, we replied at the same time.

I'm glad you will say your fiance this time - you will find it MUCH easier just to tell the truth, because they will try to catch you in a lie if they suspect one.

Good luck!

May 25th, 2010 : Filed I-129F at CSC

June 1st, 2010 : NoA1

June 7th, 2010 : Touch

October 19th, 2010: Touch

October 20th, 2010: NoA2! (141 days)

November 8th, 2010: Received Packet 3 from Montreal

November 10th, 2010: Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal

November 25th: Received Packet 4 & Scheduled interview!

March 8th, 2011: Interview in Montreal - Approved!

April 30th, 2011: Move to CA

May 6th, 2011: Married <3

May 31st, 2011: Filed AOS

June 6th, 2011: NoA1

June 13th, 2011: Received Notice for Biometrics

July 7th, 2011: Biometrics

August 22, 2011: AOS Interview - Approved!

August 29th, 2011: Greencard in hand!

I visited for 3 months from May 09 to Aug 09. I had no job, but myself and my now-fiancée had more than enough money to support ourselves.

I had to wait in questioning for 5 hours bgefore they let me through. During this time they phoned my fiancée, told her that I said I was looking for work and told me that she said I was looking for work. It turns out neither of us actually said anything about me working.

So just be prepared for questioning, and don't be surprised if it takes a while to get through. Like another poster said, however, it sometimes is luck of the draw. The fact that I am a long-haired bandana-wearing kind of guy probably did't help, either :D.

Aug 20 2010 - NOA1 received.
Feb 08 2011 - NOA2 email received.
Apr 27 2011 - Interview attended at US Embassy, visa approved :D!
May 26 2011 - Arrived in the USA
Aug 02 2011 - Married!
Aug 24 2011 - Diagnosed with cancer
Aug 26 2011 - Applied for IR1/CR1 visa
Aug 31 2011 - NOA1!
Sep 03 2011 - Moved back to the UK
Feb 20 2012 - Wife flew back to the USA
Mar 03 2012 - NOA2!
Mar 23 2012 - NVC received file
Jul 15 2012 - NVC approved, sent to embassy

2012 - Approved, flew back to USA!

Sep 29 2014 - Applied for removal of conditions.

Apr 20 2015 - RFE1 on removal of conditions.

Sarah-

My British fiance and I are about to do the same thing! We're flying into the States on the 5th, so we can let you know what happens. His situation is pretty similar to yours - sold his house and quit his job to go travelling, however, he doesn't have a single family member. So as far as proving "strong ties" to the UK ... he really can't.

We just know that he has no intentions of staying, so we're bringing just about all the proof we can through bank statements, car registry, etc. I'm trying not to get too nervous since I know our intentions are good ;) But I understand how frustrating it is since everyone would like a clear cut answer.

06/30/10 -- I-129F form FedEx'd from Paris
07/08/10 -- Received by CSC
07/15/10 -- NOA1 hardcopy received
07/18/10 -- Touched
12/07/10 -- NOA2!!!
12/13/10 -- NOA2 hardcopy received
12/30/10 -- London receives approved application from NVC
02/01/11 -- Paul's flight back to the UK
02/03/11 -- Medical Exam
02/08/11 -- Medical Results received/logged at Embassy
03/04/11 -- Interview @ 9am APPROVED!!!!!
03/10/11 -- Visa delivered
03/12/11 -- Back home biggrin.png
04/08/11 -- Wedding <3

06/17/2011-- AOS Packet mailed off (finally)
06/24/2011-- AOS Packet received by Chicago Lockbox
07/14/2011-- NOA1 returned to USCIS as undeliverable
07/15/2011-- Address changed and AR-11 filled out
07/18/2011-- Received change of address receipt notice
08/09/2011-- New biometrics appointment letter generated ... but....
08/25/2011-- Was returned as undeliverable....again....still have not updated our zip code in their master file
09/06/2011-- Biometric appointment (was told what time and date by Officer over the phone)
09/14/2011-- Work Authorisation card received in our mailbox!
09/19/2011-- Received online notification of interview date
10/20/2011-- Interview -- APPROVED!
10/28/2011-- Green card arrived in mail

07/24/2013-- I-751 Packet sent to CSC

07/30/2013-- NOA1 received in mail

08/02/2013-- Biometrics Appointment Notice Received

08/23/2013-- Biometrics Appointment

10/30/2013-- RFE Received

11/07/2013-- RFE Packet sent to CSC

11/22/2013-- APPROVED for Removal of Conditions

Timeline

Sarah-

My British fiance and I are about to do the same thing! We're flying into the States on the 5th, so we can let you know what happens. His situation is pretty similar to yours - sold his house and quit his job to go travelling, however, he doesn't have a single family member. So as far as proving "strong ties" to the UK ... he really can't.

We just know that he has no intentions of staying, so we're bringing just about all the proof we can through bank statements, car registry, etc. I'm trying not to get too nervous since I know our intentions are good ;) But I understand how frustrating it is since everyone would like a clear cut answer.

Hi!

I would really appreciate it if you could let me know how you get on! I really hope that things go smoothly for you both. I literally feel like i'm going to explode at the moment, i have so many concerns running through my mind! Like you said, a clear cut answer would be amazing, even if it was a NO! At least i'd know exactly where i stand, and wouldn't waste the money on flights, and all that time travelling...... but then i guess that's the small price to pay when you fall for someone who lives on the other side of the world :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.