TheSahlis

Bringing money to the united states

12 posts in this topic

I was wondering if enyone had any experience with this. My wife has sold her house in australia. we want to use the money to buy a house here, but I dont want the Govt. to look at this money as income as it isnt its the money she is bringing into the country with her as part of her move.

Met online June 27, 2008

May 15 2010 -- The Wedding in Castlemain, Victoria Australia

June 22, 2010 -- Mailed to Chicago lock box

July 5th recieved NOA1

Nov 1 2010 Case transfered to Texas Service Center

Nov 24 2010 Case Transfered to USCIS Office ???

Feb 7th Changed address on USCIS web site

Feb 17th Wifes case approved

Feb 18Th Step-Son's case RFE

Feb 27th Both Cases put back into "Initial Review"

Mar 28Th Case approved at USCIS

Apr 14Th AOS Fee Paid

Apr 19Th IV Fee paid

Apr 19Th AOS packets Sent

Apr 21St IV Packets Sent

May 19Th RFE for Wife IV Recieved

May 19Th RFE for Stepson IV Recieved

May 22nd RFE reply for wife and stepson sent to NVC (Overnight)

June 3rd NVC message changed to show that RFE being processed

June 6th NVC payment portal SIF

June 9th NVC message changed to case closed

June 11th Interview scheduled in Sydney for July 26th

June 15th NVC mailed package to Sydney

June 20Th Package delivered to consulate

June 23rd emailed consulate for earlier interview

June 26th reply from consulate Intervirw moved to July 12th

event.png

event.png

Any amount of money greater than 10,000 US dollars must be reported on your customs declaration documents when entering the USA. The penalty for not declaring is more than you care to lose.

The funds would not be considered income but would be an asset and could be transfered from bank in her country to a US bank via wire transfer.

Since the transaction took place in her country and any taxes would have been paid there, there should be no tax liability in the USA.

USCIS

10-15-2009 Met while I was on vacation...

11-12-2009 Traveled to CR for 3 weeks (Engaged)

02-21-2010 Married

05-28-2010 Mailed I-130

05-31-2010 Received - Chicago Lockbox

06-07-2010 I-130 NOA1 - CSC

06-08-2010 Touched

09-16-2010 NOA2

NVC

09-21-2010 Case# assinged

09-22-2010 AOS and IV bill generated.

09-22-2010 Paid AOS and IV bill.

09/23/2010 Both bills show paid. Printed cover sheets.

09/27/2010 Mailed AOS & IV package (fedex).

09-28-2010 Package received at NVC 9:32am (signed for by J.Desmond)

10-04-2010 AOS & IV docs in AVR system.

10-08-2010 SIF.

10-21-2010 Case Closed.

10-25-2010 Case sent to USEM.

USEM

10-27-2010 Received file.

11-02-2010 Medical. PASSED

11-08-2010 Interview APPROVED

POE

11-13-2010 Frt Lauderdale,FL.

SS Card

11-29-2010

Welcome Letter

12-10-2010

Greencard received

12-20-2010

Any amount of money greater than 10,000 US dollars must be reported on your customs declaration documents when entering the USA. The penalty for not declaring is more than you care to lose.

The funds would not be considered income but would be an asset and could be transfered from bank in her country to a US bank via wire transfer.

Since the transaction took place in her country and any taxes would have been paid there, there should be no tax liability in the USA.

Thank you and yes we will be declearing the money, i just dont want to have to pay US taxes on it as they pay enough taxes in australia.

Met online June 27, 2008

July 5th recieved NOA1

Apr 14Th AOS Fee Paid

Apr 19Th IV Fee paid

Apr 21St IV Packets Sent

event.png

event.png

Filed: IR-5 Country: India
Timeline

:thumbs:

If she has paid capital gain taxes in Australia (if any applicable), you are absolutely fine in the U.S. Rather than carry any financial instrument, wire transfer it.

Loto

CSC - I-130 for Parents (IR5)

10/11/2011 - Sent to Chicago Lockbox

10/13/2011 - Delivered at Chicago Lockbox

10/17/2011 - Email received with Receipt#, Routed to CSC

10/18/2011 - Cleared the checks $420*2

10/21/2011 - Received NOA1

03/30/2012 - Received NOA2

NVC

04/19/2012 - NVC received

05/01/2012 - Case# generated

05/02/2012 - DS-3032 COA emailed

05/02/2012 - I-864 AOS Fee $88 paid

05/05/2012 - I-864 AOS package mailed to NVC

05/07/2012 - I-864 AOS package received by NVC

05/07/2012 - DS-3032 COA accepted

05/08/2012 - DS-230 IV Fee $230*2 paid

05/09/2012 - DS-230 IV package mailed to NVC

05/11/2012 - DS-230 IV package received by NVC

05/17/2012 - Case Completed

Consulate

07/02/2012 - VFS visit in Cochin

07/04/2012 - Medical in Chennai

07/12/2012 - Interview in Mumbai - Success!

09/08/2012 - POE at JFK, NY

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

We did this, brought a 6 figure sum in via direct bank transfer. Used some to buy a house here, some in a CD and the rest to live off till work could be found. None was taxed, and the bank did the "declaring" part. No taxes on the money directly, just later (ie property tax on the house we bought etc).

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline

I brought cash. Declared it as required when entering the US, and deposited most of it in my BofA checking account, $9,900.00 at a time, until the bank lady told me that even if it's under $10K and she feels the amount has been kept below the treshhold in order to avoid filling out the dreaded form, she still would have to fill it out.

I said, fine, give me my money, all of it, in cash, and I closed my BofA account, went to Citibank and never looked back.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

I love VJ I'd be lost with out it in this whole process. Thank you for all the great answers, my wifes fears are now relieved. we were always planning on declaring the money...dont wanna piss Uncle Sam off...lol. But since she doesn't have to pay capitol gains on the house as it was her primary residence and we want to use the money to get a house here, and a car, and decorate the house and put some away I wanted to make sure that it wouldn't be taxed. IMO Govt. gets its share of my money now and we need it more that they do to get our life started on the right foot.

Met online June 27, 2008

July 5th recieved NOA1

Apr 14Th AOS Fee Paid

Apr 19Th IV Fee paid

Apr 21St IV Packets Sent

event.png

event.png

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I love VJ I'd be lost with out it in this whole process. Thank you for all the great answers, my wifes fears are now relieved. we were always planning on declaring the money...dont wanna piss Uncle Sam off...lol. But since she doesn't have to pay capitol gains on the house as it was her primary residence and we want to use the money to get a house here, and a car, and decorate the house and put some away I wanted to make sure that it wouldn't be taxed. IMO Govt. gets its share of my money now and we need it more that they do to get our life started on the right foot.

The "fear" I would be concerned about is carrying the cash. Why not wire transfer any amount more than she needs to have with her?

That said, we carry loads of cash to China when we go but I have a system for doing so that neither of us fears.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

The "fear" I would be concerned about is carrying the cash. Why not wire transfer any amount more than she needs to have with her?

That said, we carry loads of cash to China when we go but I have a system for doing so that neither of us fears.

oops....yes was always planning on wire transfer....we are talking about a lot of money no way i want my wife having to walk around with that much cash...specially since she will have to come into LAX I get nervous once i walk out the doors of customs there all those guys trying to get you to give money to the what ever charties and just the others milling around right there...though thats another thread about how that airport could make the area better........

Met online June 27, 2008

July 5th recieved NOA1

Apr 14Th AOS Fee Paid

Apr 19Th IV Fee paid

Apr 21St IV Packets Sent

event.png

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I know this isnt answering your question really, but maybe its something you could look into. Here in Canada .. The Royal Bank has an american branch .. so transfering money is very easy .. they just need to be able to track it .. make sure it isnt "laundered". Also the Scotiabank and Bank Of America have a kind of deal where they work back and forth. I realise that alot of Americans visit Canada, and Canadians visit the USA, so the banks work together like this. Ive also found out that I can keep my bank account, that they will still issue me a credit card and mail it to Texas .. even though its all Canadian. Basicaly my point is, check with your bank and see if they have some friendly ties to a US bank. Only bring less than the 10K you can in cash, and transfer the rest over, or use a credit card for purchases, then just pay online.

Hope it gives you some ideas.

~~~ Hes the chance Im taking ~~~

April 2007 - Met online

Oct. 2008 - He came to Canada to meet me

Dec 25 2009 officially engaged

March 2010 - sent off I-129F

March 27 2010 - Vermont receives package :)

April 3 2010 - Informed through mail that cheque is cashed NOA1

May 28 2010 - RFE notification ( yeah Im online checking alot >.< )

June 5 2010 - RFE hardcopy received

June 18 2010 - RFE returned ( had done it June 7 - but USPS returned grrrr )

--- case says we should hear from them in 60 days from June 18 ---

June 23 - Touched

Aug4 - Email notification of NoA2 :)

Aug. 10 - NOA2 Hardcopy received

Sept. 13 - Faxed off Package 3

Sept 14 - Interview notification set for Oct. 5

Oct. 5 2010 Interview Passed

March 17 2011 POE Canadian/US border

April 1 2011 Marriage

Mailed AOS June 1

Chicago Lockbox confirms delivery June 3

Check cashed through bank - notification June 9

Yes. Tying money to your crotch is a fail-safe system. Isn't that what people do essentially when going to countries with lots of pick-pockets? I heard people put the money inside the sock and then wear the sock. Some put it under Dr. Scroll's foot pad, giving a whole new meaning to I'm jellin' like a felon. Whatever you do, don't put your wallet or monies inside your butt-packet. Also don't put all of your money, how the say proverbially, in the same basket. Separate the monies into different wads and place each wad in separate places. Wife transfer is also a a good method. Or by CD's in Australia that matures at different time and bring the monies to America slowly over time. I'm sure your spouse will be going back to Aus. now and then.

N400 CITIZENSHIP STAGE

23-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form mailed to Dallas, TX Lockbox (USPS EXPRESS)

27-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form delivered/picked up by USCIS

01-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form fee check cashed by USCIS

04-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form received per NOA1

09-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 notice date

14-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 on hand through USPS

30-JAN-2017 -:- N400 fingerprint taken

01-FEB-2017 -:- N400 interview schedule process started

26-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview date set (01SEP2017)

29-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview letter on hand

01-SEP-2017 -:- N400 interview date - Interview passed

10-OCT-2017-:- N400 oath ceremony letter on hand (oath on 26OCT2017)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.