salamat

citizenship certification

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

i have a brother who came to us at the age of 10 he is 17 now he has an american passport and he was born outside how can he apply for a citizenship certificate and what form should he use for that .should my dad apply or he can do it on his own since he is a minor

thanks for any kind of help

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

A US passport is full proof of US citizenship. He shouldn't actually need anything else in normal day-to-day life.

To get a Certificate of Citizenship, he would need to file a form N-600 with USCIS.

If your brother qualifies for citizenship under section 320 of the Immigration and Nationality Act, the form must be filled out by your Dad, since your brother is still a minor.

Under the new section 320, children automatically derive U.S. citizenship at the time that they satisfy all of the following three conditions: (1) at least one parent of the child is a U.S. citizen, whether by birth or naturalization; (2) the child is under 18 years of age; and (3) the child is "residing in the United States in the legal and physical custody of the citizen parent pursuant to a lawful admission for permanent residence."

http://www.nilc.org/immlawpolicy/natzcitzshp/nc035.htm

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=a936cac09aa5d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Edited by HeatDeath

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

A US passport is full proof of US citizenship. He shouldn't actually need anything else in normal day-to-day life.

To get a Certificate of Citizenship, he would need to file a form N-600 with USCIS.

If your brother qualifies for citizenship under section 320 of the Immigration and Nationality Act, the form must be filled out by your Dad, since your brother is still a minor.

http://www.nilc.org/...tzshp/nc035.htm

http://www.uscis.gov...00045f3d6a1RCRD

Wondered about this, is it actually a certificate of citizenship and not a certificate of naturalization? Seems like the latter is appropriate, but too bad they just can't change the place of birth on the birth certificate. Would imagine if that foreign country place of birth is on his US passport, may run into problems like we did in returning into that place of birth country. Are they also considered a citizen of the country they were born in?

Should be a large big red letter warning sign to warn parents where their kids are born at. Can lead to all sorts of complications.

Filed: Other Timeline

Of the about 308,700.000 US citizens living in the US, 250,000,000 do not have a Certificate of Citizenship. The CoC is needed to the THE FIRST US passport. Thereafter, the first passport serves to get another one, and another one, and another one.

Since the US Passport is proof of US citizenship, why would your brother want to spend hundreds of Dollars on a piece of paper that has no value other than getting a passport?

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

Of the about 308,700.000 US citizens living in the US, 250,000,000 do not have a Certificate of Citizenship. The CoC is needed to the THE FIRST US passport. Thereafter, the first passport serves to get another one, and another one, and another one.

Since the US Passport is proof of US citizenship, why would your brother want to spend hundreds of Dollars on a piece of paper that has no value other than getting a passport?

I don't know why, isn't your birth certificate and the birth certificate of your USA parent evidence that you are a US citizen?

Isn't the above the only proof you have to supply to get either a US passport or a USCIS certificate, what else do they need to verify US citizenship?

And if the above is true, what about other governmental agencies, like the DMV, SS, and voters registration, shouldn't both birth certificates suffice?

We don't make the laws, but I sure like to ask questions. Speaking of questions, why is your place of birth put on your US Passport? And when I talked to the DOS doesn't know why, it's just what they do, can't even find a law on this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I don't know why, isn't your birth certificate and the birth certificate of your USA parent evidence that you are a US citizen?

Isn't the above the only proof you have to supply to get either a US passport or a USCIS certificate, what else do they need to verify US citizenship?

And if the above is true, what about other governmental agencies, like the DMV, SS, and voters registration, shouldn't both birth certificates suffice?

We don't make the laws, but I sure like to ask questions. Speaking of questions, why is your place of birth put on your US Passport? And when I talked to the DOS doesn't know why, it's just what they do, can't even find a law on this.

It's in case you try and run for President. Your place of birth confirms your status as a second class citizen who is not equal to those born here.

Me and Arnie are hard done by.

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I seem to recall reading in a thread here way back when: somebody was complaining loudly about the passport "Country of Birth" requirement, as she was a Canadian citizen [and newly minted US citizen] but her country of birth was some undisclosed third-world hellhole she hadn't been to since infancy and wanted no part of, and she resented having it listed in her US passport. Not entirely unreasonable.

Anyway she chased getting that info changed fairly high up the US Passport powers-that-be hierarchy, and ended up getting a reply that they'd be perfectly happy to not include it, but it's an international treaty obligation to have it and they're stuck with it.

Edited by HeatDeath

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I seem to recall reading in a thread here way back when: somebody was complaining loudly about the passport "Country of Birth" requirement, as she was a Canadian citizen [and newly minted US citizen] but her country of birth was some undisclosed third-world hellhole she hadn't been to since infancy and wanted no part of, and she resented having it listed in her US passport. Not entirely unreasonable.

Anyway she chased getting that info changed fairly high up the US Passport powers-that-be hierarchy, and ended up getting a reply that they'd be perfectly happy to not include it, but it's an international treaty obligation to have it and they're stuck with it.

Lancashire perhaps ? We spent our last year there before emigrating and it was like a North Korean Prison (I reckon)

Edited by Alan the Red

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

Lancashire perhaps ? We spent our last year there before emigrating and it was like a North Korean Prison (I reckon)

Best they would do for us is to change the name of the country to the name of the city you were born in. But how many Bogota's are in this world? Could only find one, and that is in Colombia.

There is one in NJ, wouldn't be bad if they added the NJ after that city, but they won't do that.

Timeline

Best they would do for us is to change the name of the country to the name of the city you were born in. But how many Bogota's are in this world? Could only find one, and that is in Colombia.

There is one in NJ, wouldn't be bad if they added the NJ after that city, but they won't do that.

Timeline

US passport puts down place of birth, USCIS certificate of naturalization puts down country of naturalization. In my wifes' case, two different countries. Different agencies can't even be consistent.

(Tried to edit my post to add the above line, wouldn't let me do that, but posted the same post again.)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.