jken

aos/eda/ssn

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I expect to p.o.e. Dec 1 and to marry Dec 18th in US. After marrying, next step would be to file for aos, right? Think I got that much straight...now is when it gets cloudy however! I am opening an unemployment claim before I leave Canada...and when i marry i will fax them a copy of my marriage certificate...now....having said that...i believe i have to wait until i get my ead and ssn before i can start getting any money from my ei, as i wont be ready willing and able to work until then...anybody chime in...! Do i need both my ssn and ead? Any Canadians been thru this process???

tx

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes...you will need to fax EI both your SSN and EAD card. My EAD card is in production so just waiting. I had to file my EI right away when I left Canada. I have lost 12 weeks of EI just waiting.

Your EI is not banked. They can backdate your EI if when you get your EAD card its effective date corresponds with weeks you already sent in and they processed an EI card.

Even though you don't have your EAD card yet, you should still send in your cards even though your not getting any money. This keeps your account active. They don't treat your file the same until you get your EAD - meaning, they are slow in processing your EI cards, etc. This is OK. Once you get your information and fax everything, all will be fine. You could also not send in your cards and your EI claim will be suspended and once you get your EAD it can be reopened which, from what I was told, wouldn't take long. I don't do this, I waste a stamp and send the card to keep it active.

Removal of Conditions

10.15.2012 ROC package sent to California Service Center

10.18.2012 Package received

10.19.2012 Check cashed (it never ceases to amaze me how fast the gov't cashes a check!!)

10.29.2012 NOA received dated 10.18.2012

10.29.2012 Biometrics appt received

11.14.2012 Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.