bumblebeetuna

Social security number required for marriage license?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

My fiance has her K-1 visa stamped in her passport and she'll be arriving in NY in November. We're planning on going to the city office to get the marriage license the day she arrives so I don't have to take an extra day off of work.

Will we be able to get a marriage license with her passport and her birth certificate translated into English? Will she need a social security number first? I've read that we would need to wait about 2 weeks before we could even apply for a SS# and then it would take another week or two to actually get the card. Is this accurate?

If we don't need to get her a SS# in order to obtain the marriage license, when should we apply for her SS#? After the AoS is approved and the employment authorization is approved?

Thanks for any help.

You don't need a SSN in New York. My fiancee came and we married 4 days later. First, you have to go to the borough/county courthouse marriage office and get a marriage license. You have to wait at least 24 hours and then come back to the office for the ceremony. The ceremony lasts literally 3 minutes. You will need to bring one person with you to witness. If you want pictures, have that person take them. The room is really small, so I don't know how many people they will allow inside. Have your witness videotape it for your families. Our witness recorded ours holding the camera sideways. (He was trying to use 2 cameras at the same time.) :bonk:

Edited by Eric-Pris

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You should not need a social security number anywhere in the US to get a marriage license. Congrats!

AOS (from tourist w/overstay)

1/26/10 - NOA

5/04/10 - interview appt - approved

ROC

2/06/12 - NOA date

7/31/12 - card production ordered

N-400

2/08/13 - NOA date

3/05/13 - biometrics appt

6/18/13 - interview - passed!

7/18/13 - oath ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

You don't need a SSN in New York. My fiancee came and we married 4 days later. First, you have to go to the borough/county courthouse marriage office and get a marriage license. You have to wait at least 24 hours and then come back to the office for the ceremony. The ceremony lasts literally 3 minutes. You will need to bring one person with you to witness. If you want pictures, have that person take them. The room is really small, so I don't know how many people they will allow inside. Have your witness videotape it for your families. Our witness recorded ours holding the camera sideways. (He was trying to use 2 cameras at the same time.) :bonk:

Thanks for the reply.

Which office did you go to, if you don't mind me asking? I'm from Long Island and we're probably going to get the license at the city office in Islip and then do the actual ceremony in Manhattan a couple of weeks later.

Also, I read through your timeline and I was wondering what "folder" your fiance was carrying when you went through immigration at JFK?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Serbia
Timeline

My fiance has her K-1 visa stamped in her passport and she'll be arriving in NY in November. We're planning on going to the city office to get the marriage license the day she arrives so I don't have to take an extra day off of work. - YOU CAN DO IT

Will we be able to get a marriage license with her passport and her birth certificate translated into English? -YES Will she need a social security number first? -NO

Read here: Getting Married in New York State

I've read that we would need to wait about 2 weeks before we could even apply for a SS# and then it would take another week or two to actually get the card. Is this accurate?

If we don't need to get her a SS# in order to obtain the marriage license, when should we apply for her SS#? After the AoS is approved and the employment authorization is approved? You don't have to wait for AOS. Read here: When should we apply for Social Security? and here: Step-by-Step Guide to getting a Social Security Number (SSN)

Thanks for any help.

N-400: filled online on May 8th, 2021

Biometric Reuse Notice: May 8th, 2021
Interview: May 10th, 2022 - Interview De-Scheduled

Interview rescheduled on May 11th, 2022

New Interview: Jun 27th, 2022 - Approved 🥳

Oath Ceremony: July 14th, 2022

Which office did you go to, if you don't mind me asking? I'm from Long Island and we're probably going to get the license at the city office in Islip and then do the actual ceremony in Manhattan a couple of weeks later.

Queens (On Queens Blvd in Kew Gardens, close to the Van Wyck Expressway). FYI-I'm not sure if you can get the license in one office and have the ceremony somewhere else, but you should check into that. Plus, the Manhattan office is probably a lot busier too, so the wait may be longer.
Also, I read through your timeline and I was wondering what "folder" your fiance was carrying when you went through immigration at JFK?

She wasn't carrying a folder. She only brought the big manila envelope that they gave her at the embassy. When she gets to immigration, they will open the envelope and put the forms into a folder and she'll take the folder to another room (secondary processing).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.