justashooter

no convent at Auschwitz

43 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Anyone ever heard of the Battle of Arras ? On average, 4,200 British soldiers died there every day for a full 6 weeks in the spring of 1917

It was the deadliest battle in British history but nobody remembers it and it isn't even hallowed ground. My granddad is there - somewhere.

The 3,000 in New York would have just been a busy morning at Arras

Hope that puts it into context

no, it does not put it into context. it's apples and oranges. soldiers in battle in a declared war versus civilians at work, no war declared.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

Lives are lives. Apples and apples.

sure, if you wish to avoid the context.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

no, it does not put it into context. it's apples and oranges. soldiers in battle in a declared war versus civilians at work, no war declared.

My grandad was no soldier. He had 5 small children and he avoided the war. The govt found him and drafted him and he was butchered within weeks. He wasn't a volunteer soldier like the current crop - he was a civilian who was plucked from his family against his will and then killed like the other 160,000 at that place. If he had refused he would have been shot.

Makes no difference to the dead or the widows that war has been declared first - the result is the same.

Those 160,000 civilians forced into uniform are not remembered, but the 3,000 will be sung about in a thousand years time - albeit in Spanish

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

You can't relativise death

so there's no difference to you between soldiers dying in battle and civilians being killed in a terrorist attack?

My grandad was no soldier. He had 5 small children and he avoided the war. The govt found him and drafted him and he was butchered within weeks. He wasn't a volunteer soldier like the current crop - he was a civilian who was plucked from his family against his will and then killed like the other 160,000 at that place. If he had refused he would have been shot.

Makes no difference to the dead or the widows that war has been declared first - the result is the same.

Those 160,000 civilians forced into uniform are not remembered, but the 3,000 will be sung about in a thousand years time - albeit in Spanish

does england not have a day to remember those who fell in battle for the empire?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

so there's no difference to you between soldiers dying in battle and civilians being killed in a terrorist attack?

Soldiers were killed.

Civilians were killed.

Dead is dead.

does england not have a day to remember those who fell in battle for the empire?

Yes we do.

Timeline

160,000 civilians forced into uniform died at Arras in 6 weeks. How many people have ever heard of it ?

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

160,000 civilians forced into uniform died at Arras in 6 weeks. How many people have ever heard of it ?

I have not. I do know that losses by allied troops in that area were awful.

"civilians forced into uniform" are called draftees or conscripts and they are still soldiers.

My condolences and respect for your grandfathers service.

Give 'em hell Chuck!

My sentiments exactly

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Timeline

In English, a 'Scarborough warning' is no warning at all. eg a sucker punch.

Like when the German Battleship Derrflinger killed civilians in Scarborough early one morning. The shells arrived from the horizon with no sound and no warning.

Scarborough is a town on the coast of Yorkshire, England, France, Europe.

http://www.downyourway.co.uk/blog/?p=76

I am sure everyone remembers that

Edited by saywhat

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

Yes we do.

are those battlefield deaths then not part of that remembrance day?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

In English, a 'Scarborough warning' is no warning at all. eg a sucker punch.

Like when the German Battleship Derrflinger killed civilians in Scarborough early one morning. The shells arrived from the horizon with no sound and no warning.

Scarborough is a town on the coast of Yorkshire, England, France, Europe.

http://www.downyourway.co.uk/blog/?p=76

I am sure everyone remembers that

or when the British fleet opened fire on the Frenchafter France signed an amistice with Germany.

9/11 wasn't "genocide".

Why would anyone build a German cultural center in Poland?

So 9/11 was not about killing as many Americans as possible? Then what was it about?

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.