^_^

Why would the Sierra Club oppose a power line upgrade?

44 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Opponents of a controversial 550-kilovolt power line that would traverse Pennsylvania and New Jersey said tonight at a public hearing they want the power companies to pull the plug on the plan.

"The only acceptable alternative is no action," said Leona Fluck of Robbinsville, who is a member of the Sierra Club’s New Jersey chapter and a river safety-patrol volunteer at the Water Gap park. "The Appalachian Trail and Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area are the most precious and pristine areas in the East. I want our natural resources, the forests, ancient waterfalls and glens, open space, endangered species, migratory bird pathways — all protected by the NPS."

No one spoke in favor of the power-line plan. But after the hearing, spokesmen for both utility firms said a "no-build" option is not on the table, as the issue of need has been decided by PUC and BPU approvals.

"Let’s face it, nobody wants power lines, but they all want their lights to come on when they flip the switch," PPL spokesman Paul Wirth said.

The existing line is 230 kilovolts, and adding 500 kilovolts is being required by PJM Interconnection, a consortium that distributes power to 51 million people in the northeastern quadrant of the country. The utilities say the upgrade is necessary to avoid future brownouts and blackouts on the regional grid.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/08/pseg_awaits_national_park_serv.html

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

The local chapter is not being reasonable. They need to offer a viable alternative that addresses the problem or make a convincing argument as to why the upgrade is not necessary.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

this type of thing happens out here sometimes. build a power plant and then ship the energy out of state. let the local residents deal with the negatives while a city far away is the intended beneficiary.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Opponents of a controversial 550-kilovolt power line that would traverse Pennsylvania and New Jersey said tonight at a public hearing they want the power companies to pull the plug on the plan.

"The only acceptable alternative is no action," said Leona Fluck of Robbinsville, who is a member of the Sierra Club's New Jersey chapter and a river safety-patrol volunteer at the Water Gap park. "The Appalachian Trail and Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area are the most precious and pristine areas in the East. I want our natural resources, the forests, ancient waterfalls and glens, open space, endangered species, migratory bird pathways — all protected by the NPS."

No one spoke in favor of the power-line plan. But after the hearing, spokesmen for both utility firms said a "no-build" option is not on the table, as the issue of need has been decided by PUC and BPU approvals.

"Let's face it, nobody wants power lines, but they all want their lights to come on when they flip the switch," PPL spokesman Paul Wirth said.

The existing line is 230 kilovolts, and adding 500 kilovolts is being required by PJM Interconnection, a consortium that distributes power to 51 million people in the northeastern quadrant of the country. The utilities say the upgrade is necessary to avoid future brownouts and blackouts on the regional grid.

http://www.nj.com/ne..._park_serv.html

Depends if the bolded is being threatened in a material way by the proposed expansion. If it is, then they have cause to be concerned. When you destroy your environment, even if it is in order to provide electricity, there are consequences. Sometimes those consequences bite you in the butt.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

this type of thing happens out here sometimes. build a power plant and then ship the energy out of state. let the local residents deal with the negatives while a city far away is the intended beneficiary.

as if rural america gives it away. you sell it.

Depends if the bolded is being threatened in a material way by the proposed expansion. If it is, then they have cause to be concerned. When you destroy your environment, even if it is in order to provide electricity, there are consequences. Sometimes those consequences bite you in the butt.

:rofl:

Sierra Club is an evil organization, and should be listed as public enemy number one.

+1

Sierra Club is an evil organization, and should be listed as public enemy number one.

More evil than mosque building muslims?

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

:rofl:

+1

Destroying things is not good land management. The planet needs biodiversity and so do we.

Yes.

More evil than Obama?

Timeline

not the point. rural america oftentimes may not own the power plant either - it's usually an extension of some city's power plant.

we get the pollution, the product is sent elsewhere.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

People like you want to throttle the supply of power and put a lid on growth.

Sorry, but once again, you lose.

Yes, I would like to change the economic model from exponential growth which is not a sustainable model to something that would be. Waste is more evil than the Sierra Club.

not the point. rural america oftentimes may not own the power plant either - it's usually an extension of some city's power plant.

we get the pollution, the product is sent elsewhere.

you get the tax revenues.

and besides, do you feel the same way about agriculture? large scale agriculture does a real number on ecosystems, do you mind that seeing how we city folk eat most of the food?

Yes, I would like to change the economic model from exponential growth which is not a sustainable model to something that would be.

So you are anti-growth. Understood, you need say no more.

Timeline

People like you want to throttle the supply of power and put a lid on growth.

Sorry, but once again, you lose.

so you love coal, doncha?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *