mumof2

F2B PD about to be current in 2mos, mom became USC. What to do?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

HELP please. am new here. this is my case:

Mom applied F2B last 2004, I was 26yo then. She became USC 2007 or 2008. I didn't know anything about automatic conversion of visa category until last year. I asked her if we should inform the embassy but said not until my PD is about to be current. Sep 2008 I bore a child and after 8mos was pregnant again for my second child (born January 2010). Am still not married. Per September bulletin, it will only be about 2 more months before my PD is up (if the trend stays that way - 1year per month).

Questions: 1) Am I late to inform them that I want to retain my old category? 2) What should I include in the letter? 3) How will I update them that I now have 2 sons that I wish to be included in my paper? 3) Can I bring my sons with me? CSPA may not be applicable as I was 26yo when my mom applied.

Appreciate if anybody can give me complete or detailed steps to take. Thank you very much.

Edited by mumof2

Filed: Timeline

mumof2, it's unlikely that the trend will carry on to October and November bulletins. September marks the end of the fiscal year 2010, whereas historically the cut-off date jumps tend to slow down at the beginning of a new FY. If you jump a category to F1, your PD will be current at once. You should probably contact the agency that has your case for that (either USCIS or NVC if your mother's petition was approved and forwarded there).

You can probably still include your children in DS-230.

Edited by oui

Mom applied F2B last 2004, I was 26yo then. She became USC 2007 or 2008. I didn't know anything about automatic conversion of visa category until last year. I asked her if we should inform the embassy but said not until my PD is about to be current. Sep 2008 I bore a child and after 8mos was pregnant again for my second child (born January 2010). Am still not married. Per September bulletin, it will only be about 2 more months before my PD is up (if the trend stays that way - 1year per month).

Questions: 1) Am I late to inform them that I want to retain my old category? 2) What should I include in the letter? 3) How will I update them that I now have 2 sons that I wish to be included in my paper? 3) Can I bring my sons with me? CSPA may not be applicable as I was 26yo when my mom applied.

Appreciate if anybody can give me complete or detailed steps to take. Thank you very much.

Mumof2,

I think your mom just messed up your case. When she became a USC your VISA catergory automatically change from F2B (daughter/son of unmarried LPR) to F1 daughter/son of unmarried USC).And the bad news is you have to wait a bit more longer. If you check the September 2010 VISA bulletin, for F1 category they are currently processing a PD of 1997, meaning you got 8+ yrs more to go.

Sending them letter wont help in retaining your previous category either; and about your sons advise your petitioner to send a letter to NVC and have them included in your petition as your derivative beneficiary.

Timeline

If you jump a category to F1, your PD will be current at once. You should probably contact the agency that has your case for that (either USCIS or NVC if your mother's petition was approved and forwarded there).

thanks for the reply, oui. but september bulletin's current date for F1 (Philippines) is 01 Jan 1997. F2B on the other hand is 01 Aug 2002.

that will make my waiting longer if i'll stick with F1, right?

mumof2, it's unlikely that the trend will carry on to October and November bulletins. September marks the end of the fiscal year 2010, whereas historically the cut-off date jumps tend to slow down at the beginning of a new FY. If you jump a category to F1, your PD will be current at once. You should probably contact the agency that has your case for that (either USCIS or NVC if your mother's petition was approved and forwarded there).

Your got your information wrong, being an F1 category doesnt mean your PD will be current.

Waiting time period for F1 even gets longer.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

regardless of when yer priority date becomes 'current' -

i think you'll have some problems with the DS-230, as they'll check yer mother's immigration status whilst doing the NVC intake. (namechecks are a backroom operation, another check is done on the petitioner once the casefile hits NVC).

Good luck, though, however it turns out.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

dear i cant explain to you everything but this thread will be helpful... dont worry its not too late for you to ask for opt out regarding automatic conversion. BTW, were on the same category, i'll see you in this forum...

http://***removed***/forum/showthread.php?t=8198

Edited by lynie12

Timeline

mumof2, send a photocopy of birth certificates of your kids at the NVC and write a letter asking to add your kids as derivatives on your petition. Dont worry too much, thats what i did when i add my son as my dreivatives.

With regards to your opt out letter.. check the link that i sent you awhile ago. There are f2b members discussing that matter and they share their info and sample letter. Goodluck.

Timeline

Mumof2,

I think your mom just messed up your case. When she became a USC your VISA catergory automatically change from F2B (daughter/son of unmarried LPR) to F1 daughter/son of unmarried USC).And the bad news is you have to wait a bit more longer. If you check the September 2010 VISA bulletin, for F1 category they are currently processing a PD of 1997, meaning you got 8+ yrs more to go.

You got it all correct but there is such a thing as an OPT OUT which you are not aware of!

Sending them letter wont help in retaining your previous category either; and about your sons advise your petitioner to send a letter to NVC and have them included in your petition as your derivative beneficiary.

Sending opt out letter will RETAIN her priority date. And registering derivatives should be done by the applicant not the petitioner.

Edited by lynie12

Lynie12,

Your right she can do an OPT OUT letter, But is that a 100% approval or is it case to case bases only? .

Im the petitoner and im the one who made the requst, i guess either one can make the request then.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Lynie12,

Your right she can do an OPT OUT letter, But is that a 100% approval or is it case to case bases only? .

Im the petitoner and im the one who made the requst, i guess either one can make the request then.

Hi Raymon,

Yes, it is a 100% approval.

Here is the quote I got from US embassy manila website.

"For F2B applicants (unmarried son/daughter of a permanent resident), their F2B petitions are automatically converted to the F1 category retaining the original priority date when their petitioners naturalize. Because of unique circumstances, the waiting period for the F1 category is longer than the F2B category in the Philippines. However, under Section 6 of the Child Status Protection Act (CSPA), the applicant (not the petitioner) can request exemption from the automatic conversion of the visa category from F2B to F1 by submitting to the Department of Homeland Security/U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (DHS/USCIS) a written statement that he/she elects to have such conversion revoked. The applicant may send the written request for retention of his/her F2B category to the DHS/USCIS office in Manila by fax at 301-2208 (Attn: Field Office Director) or by mail: DHS/USCIS, U.S. Embassy, 1201 Roxas Blvd., Ermita, Metro Manila 0930."

My Journey

Oct 21,1997: Priority Date F2B

May 25,2009: POE LAX

Aug 29,2009: Wedding in PI

F2A for Wife and Daughter

I-130 Track

Feb 04,2010: I-130 Sent

Feb 07,2010: I-130 Received by USCIS

Feb 12,2010: NOA1

Aug 13,2010: Case Touched

Aug 14,2010: Case Touched

Aug 19,2010: Case Touched

Aug 30,2010: Case Approved

Sept 2,2010: NOA2 Received

Sept 15,2010:NVC assigned Case No.

Sept 22,2010:Received AOS Fee Bill and DS-3032. Paid AOS fee online.

Oct 05, 2010:Paid IV Fee Bill online.

Oct 25, 2010:Send package IV to NVC

Oct 27, 2010:NVC Received Package IV

Oct 28, 2010:Send AOS to NVC

Nov 01, 2010:NVC received AOS

Nov 22, 2010:Case Complete

Interview Date : July 17,2012. Passed Interview.

Timeline

Lynie12,

Yes it is 100% approval. check the us embassy site in manila.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Kung inapply ka ng mom ng hindi pa sya US Citizen, still you will be categorized under F2B which is you can still apply for an opt out. I know someone na ganun ang case....They applied for an opt out..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.