hundertwasser

What's my Alien Number??? (URGENT!)

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Slovenia
Timeline

Upon Entry to the US, an immigration officer hand wrote my alien number on the top of my I-94. However, I am having difficulty reading the number.

As I see it, it could have 8 or 9 digits - either a "1 and 0" close together or a "9" on its own.

Is there any resource for finding out exactly what this number is? Somewhere to call, or some other document to view (I didn't have an alien number while applying for the K-1)?

Do A #s typically have 9 or 8 digits?

Your help on this is most appreciated!!!

Upon Entry to the US, an immigration officer hand wrote my alien number on the top of my I-94. However, I am having difficulty reading the number.

As I see it, it could have 8 or 9 digits - either a "1 and 0" close together or a "9" on its own.

Is there any resource for finding out exactly what this number is? Somewhere to call, or some other document to view (I didn't have an alien number while applying for the K-1)?

Do A #s typically have 9 or 8 digits?

Your help on this is most appreciated!!!

hi - if you look on your K1 approval letter it should have the number on there under beneficiary. It starts with an A...... mine was 9 digits long. I hope this helps.

event.png

Timeline

hi - if you look on your K1 approval letter it should have the number on there under beneficiary. It starts with an A...... mine was 9 digits long. I hope this helps.

Ok - we found the NOA with the A number, your post was extraordinarily useful!

But now we have a new challenge:

The immigration officer who transcribed the A number onto the I-94 actually left out a number - the first number, which is a zero (0). Do you - or does anyone - suggest that we add a 0 to that A number (on the I-94), or just leave things alone given that we'll have to send along both the copy of the I-94 and the copy of the NOA2 with the correct A #?

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Ok - we found the NOA with the A number, your post was extraordinarily useful!

But now we have a new challenge:

The immigration officer who transcribed the A number onto the I-94 actually left out a number - the first number, which is a zero (0). Do you - or does anyone - suggest that we add a 0 to that A number (on the I-94), or just leave things alone given that we'll have to send along both the copy of the I-94 and the copy of the NOA2 with the correct A #?

Thanks!

Here's a qn for you, is the number 01, any different to the number 1? No. They're the same number. Doesn't matter whether you have 0 in front or not.

Timeline

Here's a qn for you, is the number 01, any different to the number 1? No. They're the same number. Doesn't matter whether you have 0 in front or not.

While the mathematical equivalency raises an interesting point, the empirical difference between having and not having the 0 in the A Number seems to me quite consequential. In practice, it boils down to entering an 8 digit A# on our forms vs. entering a 9 digit A#. And with all the A#s out there, my intuition tells me that there is a significant difference between, say, A 012345678 and A 12345678.

Timeline

While the mathematical equivalency raises an interesting point, the empirical difference between having and not having the 0 in the A Number seems to me quite consequential. In practice, it boils down to entering an 8 digit A# on our forms vs. entering a 9 digit A#. And with all the A#s out there, my intuition tells me that there is a significant difference between, say, A 012345678 and A 12345678.

Normally I would agree however I filed my forms putting NO zero at the front, my forms returned WITH the zero added. So I don't claim to know about their process, or how they figured it out, but like I said, on some of my forms I put the zero on there, others I didn't, either way my NOA's came back with the zero on it.

Interesting. This is the last I'll belabor the point - did the A number you filled into the forms have 8 digits only (and then returned with 9 after the 0 was added on the NOA)?

Thanks again

My NOA2 has the 0 (+ 8 digits), while the A number on my K1 visa skipped the 0 and has only 8 digits in total. I am not sweating over it, but I will make sure to include the 0 on any forms from now on, just in case...

Our Love Story's 1st page: June 15, 2008

K 1: 98 days!
May 11 - August 17, 2010 APPROVED!!!
POE: September 14, 2010 Chicago, IL
Wedding Day: September 22, 2010

AOS from K1: 96 days!
November 19, 2010 - February 24, 2011 APPROVED!!!
November 19, 2010: AOS, EAD & AP applications mailed
December 20, 2010: Biometrics (day 31)
January 18, 2011: case transfered to CSC (day 60)
February 10, 2011: EAD & AP approved! (day 83)
February 24, 2011: GC production ordered! (day 96)

Removing conditions: 5 months and 30 days!
December 6, 2012: package mailed
December 10, 2012: NOA 1 (day 4)

June, 5, 2013: APPROVED!!!

June, 10 2013: 10 yr GC received

event.png

an1cHsW0g410610MjAwMTU1bHwyNTY0MzkxbGF8d

My NOA2 has the 0 (+ 8 digits), while the A number on my K1 visa skipped the 0 and has only 8 digits in total. I am not sweating over it, but I will make sure to include the 0 on any forms from now on, just in case...

I agree.. personally i'd add the zero. I'm sure and hope they would be able to work it out either way but you never know. All mine had 9 digits. The funny thing is I didnt even realise it was written on the I-94 sheet :-)

event.png

Timeline
Interesting. This is the last I'll belabor the point - did the A number you filled into the forms have 8 digits only (and then returned with 9 after the 0 was added on the NOA)?

9 digits once the 0 was added.

The IO at the POE wrote my A number on my I-94 and ignored the 0.

The A number on my visa as 8 digits (without the zero), it's written under annotation on my actual visa

I don't have my NOA2 in front of me but I assume it has the 0 in front. All my USCIS documents added the 0, except my visa... weird.

• 1 month later...

My A# starts with a 0. I always include the complete number (with the zero in front) in all my paperwork. The officer at the POE wrote it on my I-94 without the zero. I didn't sweat it...had my I-130 NOA2 attached to my AOS application and it has a zero in front, so I am not too worried about it.

Be smart, have a plan, and hang on to the people you love. - Chris Gardner

N-400 Timeline

02-23-2018: Sent N-400 Application online

02-23-2018: Date on NOA, retrieved from online account

02-23-2018: Date on Biometrics Appointment Letter (Biometrics Appointment at Jacksonville ASC on March 13, 10:00 a.m.)

03-08-2018: Biometrics complete

04-05-2018: Case status updated - Interview Scheduled on May 10, 2018, 10:15 a.m. :D

05-10-2018: Citizenship Interview - Passed English and Civics Tests, Recommended for Approval! :D 

06-19-2018: Received email and text notification: Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled; waited for letter to be uploaded on online account - it has been set on Wednesday, July 25, 3:00 p.m.

07-25-2018: I am now a U.S. Citizen!

K3-K4 Journey.txt

• 1 year later...
Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone :D

I hope someone can help me, with my concern.

I was reading on this thread, and I am not sure what is the correct information. I am planning to book a flight for a vacation back in the Philippines, and I just wanted to know if there will be any discrepancy if my GREEN CARD as per my A# has a (0) on it?

I have been trying to research for information but out of luck, I haven't found one yet. :wacko:

I will appreciate your reply.

Thank you.

I-130 Sent : 2010-08-16

I-130 NOA1 : 2010-11-29

I-130 Approved :2010-12-22

Receive IV Bill :2010-09-17

Pay IV Bill : 2010-11-03

Packet 4 Received :2011-05-26

Interview Date :2011-07-08

Interview Result :Administrative Review

Visa Received : 2011-08-16

Port of Entry : Chicago

POE Date :2011-12-11

Filed SSN : 2011-12-16

Received SSN Card: 2012-01-04

Filed State Card : 2012-01-05

Received Greencard : 2012-01-09

***To God be the Glory***

Vanessa

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

No, you should have no problems if the Green Card has the A0##.. - that is correct.

You will be fine.

oh, okay...thank you..

I-130 Sent : 2010-08-16

I-130 NOA1 : 2010-11-29

I-130 Approved :2010-12-22

Receive IV Bill :2010-09-17

Pay IV Bill : 2010-11-03

Packet 4 Received :2011-05-26

Interview Date :2011-07-08

Interview Result :Administrative Review

Visa Received : 2011-08-16

Port of Entry : Chicago

POE Date :2011-12-11

Filed SSN : 2011-12-16

Received SSN Card: 2012-01-04

Filed State Card : 2012-01-05

Received Greencard : 2012-01-09

***To God be the Glory***

Vanessa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.