gnasa

How to expedite re-entry permit processing?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi, my wife just received her letter that her adjustment from student to green-card was approved yesterday! :dance:

She had an advanced parole document, that I assume is now void b/c she is a legal permanent resident now.

We now need to apply for an expedited re-entry permit, b/c were moving to Europe for a few years for my job (intra-company transfer) on August 23rd. This has been all quite sudden and I really didn't expect the GC processing to be approved before our departure.

Anyone have any experience of sending in I-131 expedited and getting the biometrics done in less than 2 weeks? Is our reason a valid one for expediting? Or am I wasting my money ($385)?

My list for expedited re-entry permit (please double-check for me, did I miss anything):

1. $385 check made out to "US Dept. of Homeland Security"

2. completed I-131 (note that we don't have the green card yet, only approval letter with A# on it)

3. copy of permanent residency granted approval letter

4. 2 US passport photos

5. 2 prepaid express mail envelopes (addressed to my brothers house nearby)

6. letter requesting expedited processing/biometrics before 8/23 explaining our departure on 8/23 for my job relocation, include email address

7. copy of my job offer letter (was supposed to start July 1)

8. copy of my job transfer letter (states length of transfer = 24 months)

9. copy of airline e-tickets showing 8/23 departure

10. write "EXPEDITE" on outside of express mail envelope I send everything to them in

We live in CA so I send this to (as per I-131 instructions):

USCIS

Attn: AOS - Re-entry Permit

1820 E. Skyharbor Circle S

Suite 100

Pheonix, AZ 85034

Can anyone confirm this is the best place to send expedited Re-entry permit application?

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline

I think, and don't quote me on this because I am not sure, that you can obtain a stamp in her passport before her green card arrives which allows for international travel without an AP. I also believe, and again don't quote me, that once her status is adjusted, it will reflect in her #A number, as it doesn't change from status to status.

At least mine didn't on my GC, or on my EAD.

Timeline

Yes, once permanent residency status is approved you can go to USCIS infopass appt. and get a stamp in your passport. Advanced Parole document is now null and void with PR granted. We'll get the green card in mail at some time in the future, I'm not worried about that.

For the Re-entry permit application, we can provide them with a copy of approval letter with A#...

Timeline

Well, it has been 1 week now, and no news from USCIS and no checks cashed. This is not surprising at all to me. Unfortunately, we depart the US on 8/23, I just don't think you can get a re-entry permit in 2 weeks... We tried calling USCIS's info, but you have to wait at least 10 business days after they receive an application to inquire about anything.

Edited by gnasa

Timeline

Well, it has been 1 week now, and no news from USCIS and no checks cashed. This is not surprising at all to me. Unfortunately, we depart the US on 8/23, I just don't think you can get a re-entry permit in 2 weeks... We tried calling USCIS's info, but you have to wait at least 10 business days after they receive an application to inquire about anything.

I spoke too soon... USCIS cashed my check but didn't expedite anything (except cashing the check as a ETF). I learned this through my bank and when we received the receipt notice for the I-131 application via regular mail (not sent in either prepaid express mail envelope that were included), thanks to the USPS for delivering regular mail in an efficient way! So I got on the horn to my congressional representative, they inquired into the case and asked why our re-entry permit application wasn't expedited.

Result = faxed biometric appt. notice for the day after we depart US (but that doesn't matter, we'll just go to get biometrics done today or tomorrow).

Apparently you can get the required processing for a re-entry permit done in ~2 weeks (with your congressman's help)! I hope that this info can help someone in the future...

Edited by gnasa

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

hmmm. can I suggest something else?

Since you have 'notice of approval' on the AOS case - set up infopass appointment -

go in with this notice, they should be able to give a I-551 stamp IN the passport. The I-551 stamp will have a 1 year duration on it.

infopass appointment - https://infopass.uscis.gov/info_en.php

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Country:
Timeline
We now need to apply for an expedited re-entry permit, b/c were moving to Europe for a few years for my job (intra-company transfer) on August 23rd. This has been all quite sudden and I really didn't expect the GC processing to be approved before our departure.

A few years is longer than 2 years right? Unless I misunderstand the re-entry permit isn't it for situation where you'll be out of the country for more than 1 year but less than 2 years? If that is the case how do you plan to preserve her residency?

Timeline

Darnell - yep, attended infopass and received I-151 stamp, my wife said they seemed reluctant and they specifically noted I-151 stamp only good for 6 months. When she later asked about expediting a re-entry permit before we leave, IO was unhelpful and told her she shouldn't leave the country, despite several attempts and rephrasing of questions. This IO made a judgment that as a new LPR, she shouldn't take extended trips abroad (which is correct) and would not help by giving any info on re-entry permits.... However, the IO in the booth nextdoor overheard the blatant misleading info my wife was being fed and specifically called her back to their window and gave instructions on where and how to expedite a re-entry permit. This infopass was in San Francisco.

Anyway, the actual green card arrived in our mailbox yesterday surprisingly, only ~2weeks after approval.

Bob_4_Anna - a re-entry permit is for when you'll be out of US for >1 year but less than 2. However, outside of US anytime > 6months and from what I've heard, you'll wish you had a re-entry permit. In addition, re-entry permits can be renewed/get another one 1 to 2 times. If it truly becomes impossible to maintain LPR, GC will be surrendered, and then we'll have to go through whole LPR application again when we return to the US. (note my company will handle all costs) I'm not sure how long I'll be abroad for work.

Timeline

ah - whew ! that's some good news then, got the I-551 stamp plus greencard in hand.

two less things to worry about. ok mon - i'm out - good luck with the expedited AP thingie.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Country:
Timeline
Bob_4_Anna - a re-entry permit is for when you'll be out of US for >1 year but less than 2. However, outside of US anytime > 6months and from what I've heard, you'll wish you had a re-entry permit. In addition, re-entry permits can be renewed/get another one 1 to 2 times. If it truly becomes impossible to maintain LPR, GC will be surrendered, and then we'll have to go through whole LPR application again when we return to the US. (note my company will handle all costs) I'm not sure how long I'll be abroad for work.

Well I guess if it comes down to it then you can always use DCF upon your return to the US. That process is quite a bit quicker. I would say that about 6 months prior to returning the US you should contact the local Embassy and see if she'll have any issues returning. They can guide you to either file DCF or whatever else you would need to do.

Timeline

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline

Regarding the part < we'll have to go through whole LPR application again when we return to the US. >

I think your wife needs to apply green card in her country then. no? I don't think she can enter the U.S. ( It may be faster to get GC in her country, not in US. I heard in Japan takes about 1-3months to get it )

I am applying for reentry permit in September ( if I can enter the US after 9months away...) I will try update how it goes...hopefully everything goes smoothly...

Hope you finish Biometrics by now. Good luck in Europe

• 10 months later...
Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi i have a questions about your re-entry permit.

im from california and im going back to philippines to take care of my dad who has medical condition, i am planning to apply for re entry permit cause i dont know how long am i staying in the philippines. i need to be in the philippines ASAP to be with my can i apply for expedite re entry permit? like yours. please help me! thanks :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.