ruttiz84

Please HELP! Anyone...

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Hey there,

I'm an Aussie who entered the US on a B1-B2 visa that expires in 2019. I've been living with an Uncle in Chicago since Feb 2010 and just recently re-entered the US after a scary encounter with immigration in Phoenix. I want to extend my stay in the US for a couple of reasons. While 12 months was all I had planned for originally, I decided early on in my stay that I would like to extend my stay if at all possible. I've also met someone who I care for deeply. I don't want to go the "get married and get a Greencard" route so I'm looking at my options for getting a work visa or comething similar that will allow me to stay in the US past 12 months.

I guess I just need to know what my options are. What kind of visas can I get that will allow me to work? Can I apply for a work visa while I'm still in the states or do I have to leave and then apply? If I already have a company that wants to sponsor me does that help expediate the process? How long should I expect to wait for the applications to be processed?

Can anyone help me out?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, depending on what kind of work you want to do you have several options on getting a work visa. There is a J visa for apprenticeships, like a work experience program. Those will be given to you relatively fast if you have a company that will sponsor you for work. Then there is an H1-B visa, this may take longer to process and I believe, though I could be wrong, that they only take applications in April and then you must wait to get approved. You will need a sponsor for that too. If you are in the entertainment industry there is the O visa. That is for talent and assistants to talented individuals. Then, there is the F1 student visa option if you want to go to school here. It all depends on what you want to do, and you do not need to leave the country to switch to one of these visas, just don't overstay on your current one. Good luck.

AOS Timeline

06-28-2010 AOS Packet Sent

07-07-2010 Check Cashed $1010 Ugh!

07-09-2010 NOAs received (I-485,I-130,I-765)

07-14-2010 Biometrics appointment letter received

07-14-2010 RFE (I-864)

07-22-2010 Biometrics appointment

08-20-2010 Submitted RFE Reply I-864

08-24-2010 RFE material received

08-26-2010 Email from USCIS EAD Card Approved

09-03-2010 EAD card received!!!

09-08-2010 Notification of interview date (Oct 12th, 2010)

10-12-2010 Interview-Approved!!!!!

10-26-2010 Green Card Arrived!!!!!!!!

No USCIS till 2012. Wohoooooo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.