웃

Religious Beliefs - Fact or Fiction

142 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Oh wow, I didn't realize that smart people believe in God Steven. Now I will go out and read my bible. :lol:

:P What I meant is that it doesn't require a suspension of logic to believe in God.

There is no logic in religion. If there were, they would acknowledge the various falacies. I however subscribe to Pascal's challenge which essentially states that there may or may not be a god, in which case, there may or may not be a heaven. Why not passively accept god, and reap the benefits in the afterlife rather than actively deny god and potentially suffer. It takes a lot more effort to actively deny the existence of a higher being than it does to passively accept.

A belief in god is a fact, people do it, and in private life there is absolutely no reason why they should not. What I personally object to (and why I highlighted your post btw) is the imposition of ANY religious belief onto public life via the legal system and in facets of state and federal government. We as human beings are perfectly capable of creating laws and acceptable behaviours that are based on ethics that are applicable to everyone regardless of their faith. The problems occur when a law is based entirely on an interpretation of religious conformity that in fact impacts on people dependent on their particular beliefs as apposed to equality and fairness. Passive acceptance in these circumstances is wrong and to be condemned.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Well, I suppose they wouldn't if you believe adam and eve rode on dinosaurs :lol:

:lol: The Creationist's Museum?

Science and religion should never be in conflict with one another so long as that neither one tries to explain the other.

Edited by El Buscador

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Everybody's wonderin' what and where they all came from.

Everybody's worryin' 'bout where they're gonna go when the whole thing's done.

But no one knows for certain and so it's all the same to me.

I think I'll just let the mystery be.

Some say once you're gone you're gone forever, and some say you're gonna come back.

Some say you rest in the arms of the Saviour if in sinful ways you lack.

Some say that they're comin' back in a garden, bunch of carrots and little sweet peas.

I think I'll just let the mystery be.

Some say they're goin' to a place called Glory and I ain't saying it ain't a fact.

But I've heard that I'm on the road to purgatory and I don't like the sound of that.

Well, I believe in love and I live my life accordingly.

But I choose to let the mystery be.

- I. Dement

:lol: The Creationist's Museum?

Science and religion should never be in conflict with one another so long as that neither one tries to explain the other.

Not really true. Religion and a belief in a 'higher power' are not synonymous. Most scientific minds have a complete antipathy for the concept of a being that can actively engage in changing the human condition on a day to day basis. There is no evidence whatsoever for such an outside interference, even less so for an influence that is positive and negative without prejudice and in order to seek real answers as to the nature of the universe and our place in it, such concepts must be explored and invalid notions rejected.

Oh and Steve, philosophers are not scientists ;)

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Why not passively accept god, and reap the benefits in the afterlife rather than actively deny god and potentially suffer.

You would only "suffer" in the afterlife if you subscribe to the ridiculous notion that

"God is a jealous God" who will "punish" you for not believing in him/her/it. Seems a bit

petty for someone of God's stature, don't you think?

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Timeline
You would only "suffer" in the afterlife if you subscribe to the ridiculous notion that

"God is a jealous God" who will "punish" you for not believing in him/her/it. Seems a bit

petty for someone of God's stature, don't you think?

This has always been one of my greatest problems with organized religion.

God is so powerful that he created everything in existence.

God is so petty and insecure that he will punish you for all eternity if you don't worship him in a manner that he approves of.

Then look at how religion has impacted the "human condition" through out recorded history.

Religion has been used to control people.

Religion has been used to de-motivate people.

Religion has been used as a battle cry to kill people.

Honestly I prefer baked beans!

Nobody has been encouraged to accept their current misfortune because baked beans will make it alright after they die.

Nobody has been forced (at the end of a weapon) to accept baked beans into their life.

Yep, I prefer baked beans...

fixxored :thumbs:

I was raised Christian, was forced to go to church at a young age. My mom used to go into her closet and "speak in tongues", she used to read the bible all the time, countless devotional books, probably at least tithed $70,000 throughout her life. Entire family are Christians, my uncle owns a church about 10 minutes from where I live. Not a lot of people attend but he is a pastor. So I don't have that bias that your friend has.

"my uncle owns a church "

if you were really raised as a Christian, you sure would know that churches are "owned" by pastors.

Religion is not about "logic", God is not about "logic" GOD is about FAITH and certainly faith is something really hard to explain to people who had never experienced it.

Maher

Removing Conditions

12/30/2009: I-751 sent

12/31 2009 receieved at Vermont Center.

1/05/2010 check cashed

1/04/2010 NOA1

1/15/2010 Biometrics appoint. ( Feb. 3th)

4/12/2010 Aproved! Card production ordered!

4/20/2010 Card received

Finally over!!! no more uscis until naturalization.

Thank you LORD!!!!!!!

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me"

The bottom line is whether Christian, Muslim, or Jew, or any other CULT, if you believe in a Deity you lack common sense. It is very elementary to realize that God was created by man. If you do not realize this then you have been brainwashed so thoroughly that there is a 99.9% chance you will never figure out the truth.

Who created God? He was here forever? That doesn't even make sense. The answer is man did. If you do not realize this then a part of your brain is shut off to logical reason when it comes to religion

How did something come from nothing? How is the universe able to expand if there is nothing beyond it? There is things that we as humans cant comprehend.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

How did something come from nothing? How is the universe able to expand if there is nothing beyond it? There is things that we as humans cant comprehend.

So what you're saying is that whatever I don't have specific expertise in is the work of god? :wacko:

Maybe you have problems with this but I don't have any issues with my comprehension of this at all...

kp7cnfvctuzu.png