spookyturtle

Toy guns will have to be licensed in Queensland under new firearms laws

63 posts in this topic

ANY ITEM that looks like a gun will have to be licensed under several changes to the Weapons Act being considered by the Queensland State Government.

Even guns made out of materials as unlikely as soap or plastic may have to be kept under lock and key if they could "reasonably be taken to be a weapon".

The draft act says an imitation is a "reasonable copy" of a weapon that is not capable of causing death or injury.

"If it looks like a gun and feels like a gun, it will have to be licensed," said a government source.

"We just want to know where they are."

It is unclear how the draft affects toy guns.

Failure to license an imitation weapon will carry a maximum $4500 fine under the proposals and incorrect storage carries a penalty of $750.

The proposed changes will also impose restrictions on the ownership of laser pointers, tougher penalties for selling items such as crossbows, bullet proof vests and knuckledusters without the appropriate licence, and stricter rules on firearm storage. In certain circumstances, religion will be a lawful excuse for carrying a knife and police who take their service-issue firearms home will be exempted.

A discussion draft of the Act will be available on the Queensland Police website today and Police Minister Neil Roberts encouraged responses.

But firearm owners' groups have condemned the measures as cumbersome and misguided.

Christopher Ray from the Law Abiding Firearms Owners said legitimate owners were being "regulated out of existence".

"We just wanted some of the burden, some of the bureaucracy and some of the paperwork taken off our backs," Mr Ray said. "Instead, they're complicating it further for law-abiding people. If we make a single minor mistake we can lose our (gun) licence for five years."

He said LAFO was also opposed to police being given "free rein" to take their guns home and leave them on the bedside table.

Geoff Jones, state president of the Sporting Shooters Association, said the crackdown on imitation weapons risked making "otherwise law-abiding people into criminals".

Mr Roberts said a requirement for permanently deactivated public monuments such as weapons on display in RSL buildings to be registered or licensed had been removed from the draft act.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/toy-guns-will-have-to-be-licensed-in-queensland-under-new-firearms-laws/story-e6frfku0-1225900889228

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like freedom to me.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

For all their tough talk and macho posturing, Aussies seem awfully scared of toy plastic guns.

:rofl:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Yeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaa! Too bad Aussies have been denied weapons so long they can't tell a real one when they see it. It is the low population density of Australia that causes so much crime also. I guess they are still trying to get their crime rate down. It is SOOO high compared to Vermont. More than 10 times the homicide rate of Vermont where everyone can carry guns (real guns with real bullets)

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm guessing you could find a few towns in Aus where there hasn't been a murder in 20, 30 or 40 years. Could always extrapolate that across the entire country and compare it with the USA, because that would be a totally fair comparison.

Vermont is not representative of the USA.

I'm guessing you could find a few towns in Aus where there hasn't been a murder in 20, 30 or 40 years. Could always extrapolate that across the entire country and compare it with the USA, because that would be a totally fair comparison.

Vermont is not representative of the USA.

You can find many towns in the US without a murder for decades too.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

You can find many towns in the US without a murder for decades too.

Like which ones?

"If it looks like a gun and feels like a gun, it will have to be licensed"

Doesn't take genius to realize what they are trying to prevent with this move.

Edited by Heracles

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Dover, Medfield, Wrentham, Newton, Weston, just to name a few in MA. There are thousands like this across the country.

Dover has 6,000 people in it, with 0.4% being a minority. In other words, by US standards, it's an extreme. Otherwise why not use the rate of Ballarat, CA.

Take Chicago's Jan to Apr 2010 rate, which was higher than those killed in an entire year in Australia, and then come talk to me about safety.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Dover has 6,000 people in it, with 0.4% being a minority. In other words, by US standards, it's an extreme. Otherwise why not use the rate of Ballarat, CA.

Take Chicago's Jan to Apr 2010 rate, which was higher than those killed in an entire year in Australia, and then come talk to me about safety.

I merely made a factual statement that there are many towns in the US that rarely see a murder. I listed several in my area which answered your question. But of course you have to take it in another direction after I gave you examples. When you are given facts to refute your wild, blanket claims, you change the subject, as you always do.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

The murder rates are interesting and all but the story is about toy guns. Register a squirt gun? Amazing.

April 24, 2010: Married in Butuan City
May 23, 2010: Submitted I-130
May 28, 2010: NOA-1 Received
October 19, 2010: NOA-2 Received
October 26, 2010: Case Number Assigned
October 28, 2010: IIN Received
November 3, 2010: AOS paid
November 5, 2010: AOS status "PAID". Sent AOS packet
November 6, 2010: DS-3032 email received. Emailed DS-3032
November 8, 2010: IV paid, DS-3032 accepted
November 10, 2010: IV status "PAID". Sent IV packet
November 15, 2010: IV received at NVC
November 22, 2010: False Checklist for missing DS-230
November 29, 2010: AOS + IV entered into system
December 4, 2010: SIF, Case Completed
December 6, 2010: Interview Scheduled
December 27-28, 2010: Passed Physical
January 6, 2011: Interview @ 0830 Approved
January 14, 2011: Visa received
January 31, 2011: CFO seminar completed
February 11, 2011: POE- LAX

Removal of Conditions
January 8, 2013: Mailed I-751
January 10,2013: NOA1
February 6, 2013: Biometrics Appoint.

June 4, 2013: Received I-797 NOA removal of conditions

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Do they realize how stupid this law is, where you one will have to register suirt gun? Do they realize how cumbersome this process could be?

Well to the person who think Aus does not have any murder, you have wrong info, Aus has enough murder and they are openly racist.

And guns dont kill ppl, there are other ways to kill ppl like in UK they use knife.... com on get real.