The_Dude

Mongolian neo-Nazis: Anti-Chinese sentiment fuels rise of ultra-nationalism

67 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Mongolian neo-Nazis: Anti-Chinese sentiment fuels rise of ultra-nationalism

Their right hands rise to black-clad chests and flash out in salute to their nation: "Sieg heil!" They praise Hitler's devotion to ethnic purity.

But with their high cheekbones, dark eyes and brown skin, they are hardly the Third Reich's Aryan ideal. A new strain of Nazism has found an unlikely home: Mongolia.

Once again, ultra-nationalists have emerged from an impoverished economy and turned upon outsiders. This time the main targets come from China, the rising power to the south.

Groups such as Tsagaan Khass, or White Swastika, portray themselves as patriots standing up for ordinary citizens in the face of foreign crime, rampant inequality, political indifference and corruption.

But critics say they scapegoat and attack the innocent. The US state department has warned travellers of increased assaults on inter-racial couples in recent years – including organised violence by ultra-nationalist groups.

Dayar Mongol threatened to shave the heads of women who sleep with Chinese men. Three years ago, the leader of Blue Mongol was convicted of murdering his daughter's boyfriend, reportedly because the young man had studied in China.

Though Tsagaan Khass leaders say they do not support violence, they are self-proclaimed Nazis. "Adolf Hitler was someone we respect. He taught us how to preserve national identity," said the 41-year-old co-founder, who calls himself Big Brother.

"We don't agree with his extremism and starting the second world war. We are against all those killings, but we support his ideology. We support nationalism rather than fascism."

It is, by any standards, an extraordinary choice. Under Hitler, Soviet prisoners of war who appeared Mongolian were singled out for execution. More recently, far-right groups in Europe have attacked Mongolian migrants.

Not all ultra-nationalists use this iconography; and widespread ignorance about the Holocaust and other atrocities may help to explain why some do.

Tsagaan Khass points out that the swastika is an ancient Asian symbol – which is true, but does not explain the group's use of Nazi colours, the Nazi eagle and the Nazi salute; or the large picture of the Führer on Big Brother's cigarette case.

Nor does it seem greatly relevant, given their unabashed admiration for Hitler's racial beliefs.

"We have to make sure that as a nation our blood is pure. That's about our independence," said 23-year-old Battur, pointing out that the population is under three million.

"If we start mixing with Chinese, they will slowly swallow us up. Mongolian society is not very rich. Foreigners come with a lot of money and might start taking our women."

Big Brother acknowledges he discovered such ideas through the nationalist groups that emerged in Russia after the Soviet Union's fall; Mongolia had been a satellite state. But the anti-Chinese tinge is distinct and increasingly popular.

"While most people feel far-right discourse is too extreme, there seems to be a consensus that China is imperialistic, 'evil' and intent on taking Mongolia," said Franck Billé of Cambridge University, who is researching representations of Chinese people in Mongolia.

Hip hop tracks such as Don't Go Too Far, You Chinks by 4 Züg – chorus: "shoot them all, all, all" – have been widely played in bars and clubs. Urban myths abound; some believe Beijing has a secret policy of encouraging men to have sex with Mongolian women.

Yet Tsagaan Khass claims it welcomes law-abiding visitors of all races, and Big Brother can certainly be hospitable.

Enthusiastically shaking hands, he says: "Even though you are a British citizen, you are still Asian, and that makes you very cool."

He says the younger members have taught him to be less extreme and the group appears to be reshaping itself – expelling "criminal elements" and insisting on a good education as a prerequisite for membership. One of the leaders is an interior designer.

But critics fear ultra-nationalists are simply becoming more sophisticated and, quietly, more powerful. Tsagaan Khass say it "works closely" with other organisations and is now discussing a merger.

"Some people are in complete denial … [but] we can no longer deny this is a problem," said Anaraa Nyamdorj, of Mongolia's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Centre.

The US state department has noted increased reports of xenophobic attacks since the spring. The UN country review cites a recent vicious assault on three young transgender women. When one of the victims publicly blamed an ultra-nationalist group – not Tsagaan Khass – death threats quickly followed.

"They are getting more support from the public," added Enkhjargal Davaasuren, director of the National Centre Against Violence, who fears that ultra-nationalists are growing more confident and victims too scared to come forward. She pointed to a YouTube video posted last year, showing a man roughly shaving a woman's long hair. The victim's face is buried in her hands, but her hunched body reeks of fear.

Others in Ulan Bator suggest the movement is waning and suspect the groups' menacing stance and claims of 3,000 members are bluster. Billé thinks there is "a lot of posturing".

"We have heard of instances [of violence]. They are not necessarily all right or all wrong," said Javkhlan, a Tsagaan Khass leader. But the group is simply a "law enforcement" body, he maintained: "We do checks; we go to hotels and restaurants to make sure Mongolian girls don't do prostitution and foreigners don't break the laws.

"We don't go through and beat the ###### out of everyone. We check our information and make sure it's true."

They rely on police and media pressure to reform such businesses, he added. And if that failed? "We try to avoid using power," he said. "That would be our very last resort."

Source

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Interesting and weird. I don't have much to go on, I just know that while I was in India I heard anti-Chinese sentiment from a couple of relatives there. I'd say to the point of racism, calling Chinese "ching chongs", and referring to Chinese things as ching chong...like "ching chong movie", a "ching chong person". -_- And not said in an innocent way.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Timeline

The Mein Kampf is a best seller in India, too. Hitler's quite popular among right-wing Hindu circles. I don't think this phenomenon is limited to Mongolia.

I find it quite odd that people whom Hitler would have despised and undoubtedly plotted to kill, now use his ideology to support their nationalist, xenophobic agenda. I wonder if they understand what he stood for and are just applying the overall dogma, or if they really don't understand what he was really about.

Filed: Timeline

I find it quite odd that people whom Hitler would have despised and undoubtedly plotted to kill, now use his ideology to support their nationalist, xenophobic agenda. I wonder if they understand what he stood for and are just applying the overall dogma, or if they really don't understand what he was really about.

Hindu right-wingers who like Hitler do so because Hitler "had the courage" to do what was necessary for his country, even though he knew it meant he'd be demonized and reviled by the world. I lived in India for a few years growing up and had a neighbor who was totally into this.

Interesting and weird. I don't have much to go on, I just know that while I was in India I heard anti-Chinese sentiment from a couple of relatives there. I'd say to the point of racism, calling Chinese "ching chongs", and referring to Chinese things as ching chong...like "ching chong movie", a "ching chong person". -_- And not said in an innocent way.

Indians don't do PC.

The way I see it, ignorance is everywhere.

I have had several run-ins with neo-Nazis - from Palm Springs to the Baltic Sea (literally). None have every laid a hand on me, but if they did, it would have been a fight to the finish. :bonk:

Ken y Leidys’ Timeline

May 1, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-1)

Aug 4, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-2)

Oct 7, 2009 - Bogota Interview

Oct 16, 2009 - Diomesa package arrived in downtown Barranquilla

Oct 20, 2009 - Leidys took bus to Diomesa Office to pick up Visa/Passport package because ("We don't deliver to your Barrio").

Nov 22, 2009 - POE (30 min.) Los Angeles, Intl.

Dec 27, 2009 - Wedding

March 8, 2010 - AOS NOA

April 8, 2010 - AOS BIO (in Riverside, CA)

May 11, 2010 - AOS AP

May 24, 2010 - AOS Interview

May 27, 2010 - AOS EAD May 27, 2010

Jun 18, 2010 - Green Card Received!

Apr 07, 2012 - ROC Filed

Oct 11, 2012 - ROC RFE

Jan 08, 2013 - CONDITIONS REMOVED!!!

VicFrndz.jpgBAQ+Taxi.jpgclubberz.jpgCumbiaz.jpg

Timeline

The way I see it, ignorance is everywhere.

I have had several run-ins with neo-Nazis - from Palm Springs to the Baltic Sea (literally). None have every laid a hand on me, but if they did, it would have been a fight to the finish. :bonk:

Well of course you run into them Ken, your living in 909. :rofl:

Well of course you run into them Ken, your living in 909. :rofl:

We have had Neo-Nazi protests literally blocks from where I live. So, this is true.

blog_NAZI25mzo.jpg

20090927_pblog_nazi.jpg

Neo-Nazis protest at Riverside synagogue

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/dec/20/local/la-me-nazis20-2009dec20

Neo-Nazis Met by Heavy Opposition in Riverside Rally

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-neo-nazi-rally,0,6518101.story

A fight ensues when Neo-Nazis try to take an Israeli flag from counter demonstrators. (KTLA / September 26, 2009)

49505120.jpg

Ken y Leidys’ Timeline

Oct 20, 2009 - Leidys took bus to Diomesa Office to pick up Visa/Passport package because ("We don't deliver to your Barrio").

Dec 27, 2009 - Wedding

March 8, 2010 - AOS NOA

May 11, 2010 - AOS AP

Apr 07, 2012 - ROC Filed

Oct 11, 2012 - ROC RFE

Timeline

We have had Neo-Nazi protests literally blocks from where I live. So, this is true.

blog_NAZI25mzo.jpg

20090927_pblog_nazi.jpg

Neo-Nazis protest at Riverside synagogue

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/dec/20/local/la-me-nazis20-2009dec20

Neo-Nazis Met by Heavy Opposition in Riverside Rally

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-neo-nazi-rally,0,6518101.story

A fight ensues when Neo-Nazis try to take an Israeli flag from counter demonstrators. (KTLA / September 26, 2009)

49505120.jpg

They get even more violent when you head north into the high desert. Areas like Hesperia have neo-nazi gangs who are waging war against the police. What is sick is that they are leaving traps for officers and fire departments. They do things like call in a home invasion robbery call, and leave a nail bomb with a motion sensor trigger.

I once had 3 neo-Nazi's (one proudly wearing his Skrewdriver t-shirt) all stare me down and follow me on a ferry from Marienhamm to Helsinki. I stood up to them, and all they could do was walk to the bar, drink, and stare back at me. :rofl: 3 Overgrown Wimps

Ken y Leidys’ Timeline

Dec 27, 2009 - Wedding

March 8, 2010 - AOS NOA

May 11, 2010 - AOS AP

Apr 07, 2012 - ROC Filed

Oct 11, 2012 - ROC RFE

They get even more violent when you head north into the high desert. Areas like Hesperia have neo-nazi gangs who are waging war against the police. What is sick is that they are leaving traps for officers and fire departments. They do things like call in a home invasion robbery call, and leave a nail bomb with a motion sensor trigger.

I have unfortunately heard of these problems. Just be aware of your surroundings, and be ready to fight if one is staring you down. Never play the victim.

Ken y Leidys’ Timeline

Dec 27, 2009 - Wedding

March 8, 2010 - AOS NOA

May 11, 2010 - AOS AP

Apr 07, 2012 - ROC Filed

Oct 11, 2012 - ROC RFE