lynJer

Wot exactly does the K2 visa allow

3 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi...

I have my K1 visa in my passport and my 2 kids have their K2 Visa stamp in their passports....im booked ticketed and ready to leave for the USA in 2 weeks.

During my recent interview I asked the officer whats best to do for my 17 year old who intends to come visit me but is waiting his enlistment date for the defence force here in Australia. I didnt think the money was worth him obtaining the k2 visa...when he may be taking off for military training in the next month or two. However, she advvises that he has until he is 18 to get the k2 visa undermyself...otherwise the process is a lot more involved....He turns 18 march next year

So fairenough....im thinking now ill go get his police cert today...book his medical so thats all completed....then maybe he can fly over in a few weeks later...but my questions are....

If he fly's over

Question...1. Do i have to meet him at his POE (ill be on the East Coast...he will fly into LAX)...or is he ok to just go thru by himself under the K2 then get a flight accross to Philly later that day?

Question 2. If he only stays for a month at this first visit...is his K2 visa after he is admitted still valid? Or does it need renewing. does the K2 require the kids to live in the USA too, or is it given due to their biological mothers residential address and the kids can come and go as they please...Not sure if this is true - but I did hear he cant be out of the country for more than 12 mths to keep its validity;.

Question 3. When I get married...and I change my status from K1 to whatever it is...do I have to file a seperate application for the kids?....or are they just automatically adjusted...

Question 4. If im married and have 2 kids living with us in the states...their status changes....but what about my eldest son who is living in Australia who not yet has any visa? should he then apply for another visa considering we are married?

Sorry.....not sure if anyone else has had such a complex situation..or if anyone here has had anything similiar....so need to get some assistance.

Thanks.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Question...1. Do i have to meet him at his POE (ill be on the East Coast...he will fly into LAX)...or is he ok to just go thru by himself under the K2 then get a flight accross to Philly later that day?

Question 2. If he only stays for a month at this first visit...is his K2 visa after he is admitted still valid? Or does it need renewing. does the K2 require the kids to live in the USA too, or is it given due to their biological mothers residential address and the kids can come and go as they please...Not sure if this is true - but I did hear he cant be out of the country for more than 12 mths to keep its validity;.

Question 3. When I get married...and I change my status from K1 to whatever it is...do I have to file a seperate application for the kids?....or are they just automatically adjusted...

Question 4. If im married and have 2 kids living with us in the states...their status changes....but what about my eldest son who is living in Australia who not yet has any visa? should he then apply for another visa considering we are married?

1) no meeting required... he can travel to final destination by himself

2) no, one time use no renewing. No coming and going as they please until you get advance parole or greencard

3) each requires separate I-485 for greencard including fee payment

4) eldest has no status... he can arrive for a short term as a tourist or a brand new petition for immigration if that is what is wanted...

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

1) no meeting required... he can travel to final destination by himself

excellant

2) no, one time use no renewing. No coming and going as they please until you get advance parole or greencard

Ok...so is advance parole requested from the mother or for the particular child and how long does this take? And can he then go live in Australia as he will then be a defence force member and more than likely sent to be living in a tent in afganistan

3) each requires separate I-485 for greencard including fee payment

Isnt that the form I need to file after I get married and it costs $1010...so that means ill be payng $3k?

4) eldest has no status... he can arrive for a short term as a tourist or a brand new petition for immigration if that is what is wanted...

OMG Im shocked...ive already paid an absolute fortune thus far....aagggghhhh

Im thinking we should have just got married here in Australian then applied for residency that way, as it would have been cheaper? I really confused on what to do?

Any ideas?

I just wanted my three kids to have the choice once they are old enough to make informed decisions thats all...besides I wasnt leaving them with their father who took off and lives two states away 6 years ago...

thank goodness I dont have the same issues migrating the Cat!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.