neilsyweilsy

credi card debt

30 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

About the wait for interview date. The bangkok embassy has a backlog they say. The official statement is that it will take them 8 to 10 weeks to schedule an interview. I'm waiting for a little over 4 weeks myself now.

03/03/2010 - I129F Sent

03/10/2010 - NOA1

03/22/2010 - Touched

05/01/2010 - Touched

05/03/2010 - Touched

05/04/2010 - NOA2

05/11/2010 - NVC Sent Case to Embassy

05/12/2010 - Embassy Received

06/17/2010 - Packet 3 received (1st one lost in the mail)

06/30/2010 - Packet 3 sent to Embassy

07/02/2010 - Embassy received Packet 3

08/20/2010 - Packet 4 and Interview Date received

09/14/2010 - Interview.....Approved

09/21/2010 - Visa received

12/27/2010 - Entry into the USA. POE Los Angeles

Hello again, fellow filers. I'd love to allay fears my dear Ann has right now. Do any of you good people have knowledge as to how much scrutiny is paid to outstanding credit card debt? Thanks for any light you can shed.

Separately, it's been 5 weeks now since Packet 3's been sent back and received. Should anything be read in, it seeming like quite a bit of time now for her to receive her Packet 4.

Neilsy

Not to worry about CC debt; I have a lot but my income & assets offset that.

I don't think a credit check is part of the process.

I would contact the consulate about the 2nd question; be advised that BKK

would most likely have an unrest-related backlog that wasn't present last

October when we got packet4 in about 2 days. The backlog is probably not

focused on the packet4 returns but in other areas that demand manpower

on the part of the consulate staff.

I think that because they are doing other things they may be slacking off

on the packet4 returns (must be a huge backlog in interviews).

5 weeks does seem like a lot for that.

Edited by thongd4me

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Timeline

Recent cases in BKK have taken longer than before because of the backlog due to events in the past few months. Your timeline isnt unusual at this point. I think there is still a link on the embassy web site where they display upcoming interview dates. Find it & use your case number to see if yours is schedualed. When it is you can then request a different date but will be subject to the existing schedual at that time.

Additionaly your fiance can buy a special pin number at the post office that will allow her X number of calls to a direct line inside the embassy. Its about 500 baht.

In my case for example we never recieved a P 3. The P 4 arrived at my address in Thailand after I was in the USA!

Yes, Ning. Thanks for your reply. Sure, we've noticed the upcoming-interview-dates pdf on the web site and to our dismay there are only 5 pages worth of cases for August versus 10 for July. Hmm, not enough manpower, resources, to handle as many interviews this month?

Timeline

Not to worry about CC debt; I have a lot but my income & assets offset that.

I don't think a credit check is part of the process.

I would contact the consulate about the 2nd question; be advised that BKK

would most likely have an unrest-related backlog that wasn't present last

October when we got packet4 in about 2 days. The backlog is probably not

focused on the packet4 returns but in other areas that demand manpower

on the part of the consulate staff.

I think that because they are doing other things they may be slacking off

on the packet4 returns (must be a huge backlog in interviews).

5 weeks does seem like a lot for that.

Hello, fellow New Yawker. I was unclear about the debt. Yes, I have a bit but my fiancee is thinking that they might hold it against her that she has some credit card debt. So, what do you say ThongD, can I tell her that she can rest assured?

Neilsy

Timeline

Yes, Ning. Thanks for your reply. Sure, we've noticed the upcoming-interview-dates pdf on the web site and to our dismay there are only 5 pages worth of cases for August versus 10 for July. Hmm, not enough manpower, resources, to handle as many interviews this month?

Yeah, very frustrating for me. Five and I decided to postpone sending in our packet 3 by a month because we were worried we'd get the interview date too soon (we didn't want july or even early august). It turned out to be a bad move..:(

Most people were getting their interviews 6 or at the most 7 weeks after they had sent in the packet 3. Looks like we're looking at longer if what they say is true about having to wait 8 to 10 weeks before scheduling.

03/03/2010 - I129F Sent

03/10/2010 - NOA1

03/22/2010 - Touched

05/01/2010 - Touched

05/03/2010 - Touched

05/04/2010 - NOA2

05/11/2010 - NVC Sent Case to Embassy

05/12/2010 - Embassy Received

06/17/2010 - Packet 3 received (1st one lost in the mail)

06/30/2010 - Packet 3 sent to Embassy

07/02/2010 - Embassy received Packet 3

08/20/2010 - Packet 4 and Interview Date received

09/14/2010 - Interview.....Approved

09/21/2010 - Visa received

12/27/2010 - Entry into the USA. POE Los Angeles

Timeline

About the wait for interview date. The bangkok embassy has a backlog they say. The official statement is that it will take them 8 to 10 weeks to schedule an interview. I'm waiting for a little over 4 weeks myself now.

Thanks Jordi. FWIW, did you notice how last month's schedule was twice as large as this month's?

Regards.

Hello, fellow New Yawker. I was unclear about the debt. Yes, I have a bit but my fiancee is thinking that they might hold it against her that she has some credit card debt. So, what do you say ThongD, can I tell her that she can rest assured?

Neilsy

Absolutely.

The reason being that they do not look at the credit card debt of the beneficiary at all.

They want to see if the beneficiary has bank accounts, but none of that (even if substantial)

is considered in the question of whether the petitioner can support the beneficiary.

My wife also had considerable credit card debt; she was putting a son through

the best university in Thailand (Chulalongkorn) and now he has a great job.

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Timeline

Absolutely.

The reason being that they do not look at the credit card debt of the beneficiary at all.

They want to see if the beneficiary has bank accounts, but none of that (even if substantial)

is considered in the question of whether the petitioner can support the beneficiary.

My wife also had considerable credit card debt; she was putting a son through

the best university in Thailand (Chulalongkorn) and now he has a great job.

Thanks for your feedback, P. And congratulations to you and J on her green card.

Regards,

Neilsy

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

The interview dates you see give you some indication of the work load at the time you expect to interview. Again my case never showed up on that schedual at all so it isnt a perfect system to follow your case. You can try to see how the dates line up & draw some conclusions about the spread.

Family based interviews are or at least were only done two days a week. The other days are spent on students or other types of visa that they issue. I was asked to come to the embassy on a Monday just to pick up some papers only to find 300 Thai students waiting outside to be interviewed for student visas. This may help you understand why there is such a time delay.

Timeline

Are IRS Debts of the petitioner questioned if you're in a payment plan with the IRS and currently in good standing except for monthly payment agreement?

These matters may be handled differently by the embassy in Bogata. In BKK one member had to prove to them where he stood on this exact issue. He did a good job & got the visa but it took additional time.

You may avoid a similar delay by preparing to present the documents required if the issue comes up.

Timeline

I forgot to say BKK sees about 700 cases per month. They are usually very busy at this time of the year.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

These matters may be handled differently by the embassy in Bogata. In BKK one member had to prove to them where he stood on this exact issue. He did a good job & got the visa but it took additional time.

You may avoid a similar delay by preparing to present the documents required if the issue comes up.

Hello Ning

Thank you for your reply

I am attempting to contact the IRS to get a letter showing that I am in good standing... Is there anything else I need?

Timeline

Hello Ning

Thank you for your reply

I am attempting to contact the IRS to get a letter showing that I am in good standing... Is there anything else I need?

Most people submit tax transcripts. These are easily obtained by requesting on line or by phone. They will mail or fax as you wish. Mail takes 2 to 3 weeks. The most recent year or two should be enough for a K 1. Again this may be done slightly differently at your embassy so make sure you check. Follow the instructions for the submission of the 134 support document & you should be fine.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.