neilsyweilsy

credi card debt

30 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello again, fellow filers. I'd love to allay fears my dear Ann has right now. Do any of you good people have knowledge as to how much scrutiny is paid to outstanding credit card debt? Thanks for any light you can shed.

Separately, it's been 5 weeks now since Packet 3's been sent back and received. Should anything be read in, it seeming like quite a bit of time now for her to receive her Packet 4.

Neilsy

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

To be honest, I don't know for sure. However, I am compiling my packet with the I-134 and all of my financial information and nowhere does it ask about credit card debt, so, I'm assuming it doesn't matter.

I-129F package sent: Jul 7th 2010

Package received at CSC: Jul 9th 2010

NOA1: Jul 16th 2010

NOA2: Nov 30th 2010

Packet 4 letter received: Dec 27th 2010

Medical done: Jan 3rd 2011

Interview: Jan 24th 2011 - APPROVED!!

Passport with K-1 visa received: Jan 29th 2011

POE: Feb 2nd 2011 in Houston, TX - cleared without problems :-)

Married!: May 2nd 2011

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello again, fellow filers. I'd love to allay fears my dear Ann has right now. Do any of you good people have knowledge as to how much scrutiny is paid to outstanding credit card debt? Thanks for any light you can shed.

Separately, it's been 5 weeks now since Packet 3's been sent back and received. Should anything be read in, it seeming like quite a bit of time now for her to receive her Packet 4.

Neilsy

Generally, only publicly enforceable debts would be considered, like tax liens or unpaid court ordered child support. Private debts, like credit cards, would not be considered. They don't run a credit check on the petitioner. Some consulates do pull a Lexis Nexis report on the petitioner for information on employment and prior residences, and that report may contain credit information if a credit report was recently requested by an employer, landlord, or insurance company. In other words, it's possible they may find out about some private debts (though not very likely), but there is no provision in either law or Department of State policy that requires or allows them to consider it.

For your other question, send an email to the consulate asking for confirmation that they received the response to packet 3 and whether they've scheduled an interview.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

To be honest, I don't know for sure. However, I am compiling my packet with the I-134 and all of my financial information and nowhere does it ask about credit card debt, so, I'm assuming it doesn't matter.

Thank you MJ for your response. May your hopes turn in to reality. You know, I should have proofread for ambiguity! I'm concerned on the part of my Thai fiancee who has some small credi card debt. To what extent, if at all, is that looked at as a negative, I'm wondering. All the best to you.

Timeline

Generally, only publicly enforceable debts would be considered, like tax liens or unpaid court ordered child support. Private debts, like credit cards, would not be considered. They don't run a credit check on the petitioner. Some consulates do pull a Lexis Nexis report on the petitioner for information on employment and prior residences, and that report may contain credit information if a credit report was recently requested by an employer, landlord, or insurance company. In other words, it's possible they may find out about some private debts (though not very likely), but there is no provision in either law or Department of State policy that requires or allows them to consider it.

For your other question, send an email to the consulate asking for confirmation that they received the response to packet 3 and whether they've scheduled an interview.

Thank you JVP for your extensive and, it seems like, sage advice! Ahh, but the debt is on the part of my fiancee. How much sleep should she lose thinking that this is cause for concern?

Continued happiness to you.

Neilsy

Timeline

Neilsy

Fellow filers, oopsy on the ambiguity of my query. The debt (less than $2000) is on the part of my Thai fiancee, not myself. To what extent should she lose sleeping harping on this (non-?)issue?

Timeline

Hello again, fellow filers. I'd love to allay fears that my dear Ann has right now. Do any of you good people have knowledge as to how much scrutiny is paid to outstanding credit card debt on the part of our overseas fiancee? Maybe a couple of grand, tops. Thanks for any light you can shed.

Neilsy

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

re: packet 3/interview date/packet 4 - call DOS Hotline (# in my profile), inquire for case status.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Hey Neilsy!

As long as your SO has enough efficient income right now to sponsor you on the Affidavit of Support I wouldn't worry! :)

• March 2007 we first met
  • 09-26-2009 married <3
  • 05-19-2010 filed I-130 DCF
  • 07-10-2010 RFE...duh
  • 07-10-2010 sent back required document
  • 07-28-2010 Interview - approved :)
  • 07-30-2010 sent in missing document
  • 08-07-2010 Visa received
  • 09-07-2010 moving to our new home

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello again, fellow filers. I'd love to allay fears that my dear Ann has right now. Do any of you good people have knowledge as to how much scrutiny is paid to outstanding credit card debt on the part of our overseas fiancee? Maybe a couple of grand, tops. Thanks for any light you can shed.

Neilsy

No scrutiny to overseas fiance(e) credit situation

moving to consulate forum

YMMV

Timeline

Hey Neilsy!

As long as your SO has enough efficient income right now to sponsor you on the Affidavit of Support I wouldn't worry! :)

Be, thank for your response. I'm petioning for my fiancee in the Land of Smiles. Looks like Payxibka is assuring me that I have no concerns in that regard.

regards,

Neilsy

Timeline

re: packet 3/interview date/packet 4 - call DOS Hotline (# in my profile), inquire for case status.

D, I'll put your advice to good use, thanks. Can I actually REQUEST that a specific date be set up for my fiancee to go to the embassy?

Regards,

Neilsy

Be, thank for your response. I'm petioning for my fiancee in the Land of Smiles. Looks like Payxibka is assuring me that I have no concerns in that regard.

regards,

Neilsy

Oh! I'm sorry, I thought you were beneficiary :blush: and you usually can't schedule the date for her interview...once they know you have all documents they want or you have sent all documents they want they will schedule you.

I was wondering. We applied for my CR1 through DCF. On one check list you were supposed to enter you preferred travel date. Do you have to do that somewhere too?? Because as far as the embassy here is concerned, they try to schedule interviews close enough from that...

• March 2007 we first met
  • 09-26-2009 married <3
  • 05-19-2010 filed I-130 DCF
  • 07-10-2010 RFE...duh
  • 07-10-2010 sent back required document
  • 07-28-2010 Interview - approved :)
  • 07-30-2010 sent in missing document
  • 08-07-2010 Visa received
  • 09-07-2010 moving to our new home

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Neilsy

Recent cases in BKK have taken longer than before because of the backlog due to events in the past few months. Your timeline isnt unusual at this point. I think there is still a link on the embassy web site where they display upcoming interview dates. Find it & use your case number to see if yours is schedualed. When it is you can then request a different date but will be subject to the existing schedual at that time.

Additionaly your fiance can buy a special pin number at the post office that will allow her X number of calls to a direct line inside the embassy. Its about 500 baht.

In my case for example we never recieved a P 3. The P 4 arrived at my address in Thailand after I was in the USA!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.