Aleksandra 84

Staying in the US after divorce, please help!

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

Hi. I got married 2 months ago in the US. my husband is a US citizen. Everything was fine until just a couple of days ago when he started abusing me and suddenly abandoned me. I do not know where he is now. I started thinking he might have some mental issues. I am going to file for divorce in the next few days or so. I would like to ask if anyone of you knows if there is a chance for me to stay here, in the US, after divorce? I dont even have a green card yet. Obviosuly the marriage fell apart due to no fault of my own, so please, if you have any information or any ideas, dont hesitate to share... I really am confused. We have been together for 3 years but it was a long distance relationship, that is probably why i didnt even expect such extreme behavior.

Thank you for your help.

If you have not adjusted your status yet and it is still pending and you file divorce, you will not be eligible for permanent resident status and as such will be required to go back to your home country, unless you have documented proof such as police reports etc regarding the abuse, then you may be able to start a VAWA case.

"It is Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all" - Some smart dude

-------------------------------------------------

K Visa Timeline

-------------------------------------------------

Visa Journey

3/20/2008: I-129F Sent

8/6/2008: Approval Notice

10/14/2008: VISA Approved!

10/24/2008: POE

--- AOS ---

4/14/2009 - Interview with USCIS... APPROVED! Day 92 since receipt of USCIS AOS

-- I-751 Waiver Application ---

1/18/2011 - I-751 Waiver Application mailing to cSC

3/23/2011 - I-751 Divorce Waiver Approved - 10 Year Card in the mail!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

If you still have a valid visa (tourist visa, student visa, work visa....)- yes, you may explore ways to adjust status here, but keep in your mind that you will not be eligible to adjust status based on marriage if you file for a divorce. You might also read about WAVA but as far as I know - you need serious documentation in that regards.

Edited by juliava

My N-400 Journey

06-02-2017 - N-400 package mailed to Dallas Lockbox

06-06-2017 - Credit card charged; received text and email confirming that application was received and NOA is on its way

06-10-2017 - Received NOA letter from NBC dated 06-05-2017

06-16-2017 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 06-28-2017

01-19-2018 - Interview Letter sent

02-27-18 - Interview and Oath Ceremony. Finally US CITIZEN! 

My ROC Journey

03-08-2012 - I-751 package mailed to VSC

03-10-2012 - I-751 package delivered

03-14-2012 - Check cashed

03-15-2012 - NOA received, dated 03-12-2012

04-27-2012 - Biometrics appointment

11-23-2012 - ROC approved

11-28-2012 - Approval letter received

12-06-2012 - 10 years Green Card received

My AOS Journey

04-17-09 I-130&I-485&I-765 received by USCIS

04-19-10 AOS Approved

04-29-10 Green Card received

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

You're not eligible for permanent residence status if you haven't even filed for AOS post-marriage to USC.

There is no basis for you to adjust your status and you have to return to your home-country if you get divorced.

Did you enter on the VWP?

Edited by sachinky

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Wow! In only two days you've gone from "everything was fine" to:

1. Abused.

2. Abandoned.

3. Think he's got mental issues.

4. Filing for divorce in a couple of days.

5. How can I stay in the US?

I can see you've been extremely busy in the last couple of days! :blink:

First, what sort of visa did you enter the US with? Did you and your husband ever submit a green card application? What sort of evidence do you have to prove he abused you?

You can adjust status on your own based on abuse using VAWA, but you need some serious evidence that the abuse occurred. Also, be careful about divorce. A VAWA self-petitioner can be divorced, but you have to be able to demonstrate that the abuse was the cause of the divorce. If you live in a no-fault divorce state that doesn't allow divorce "for cause" then you might be better off postponing the divorce until after you've dealt with the green card issues.

There are some additional things I'm thinking here, but I won't say them out of courtesy, and also out of the possibility that my gut instincts may be wrong. :whistle:

OP's profile indicates joining TODAY... what other posts and why does it make you think something is up?? (not that I have not had similar thoughts

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Wow! In only two days you've gone from "everything was fine" to:

1. Abused.

2. Abandoned.

3. Think he's got mental issues.

4. Filing for divorce in a couple of days.

5. How can I stay in the US?

Well, as someone WITH mental issues, I guarantee that things can change from one instant to another. And I'm sure that my hubby would agree. ;)

we met: 07-22-01

engaged: 08-03-06

I-129 sent: 01-07-07

NOA2 approved: 04-02-07

packet 3 sent: 05-31-07

interview date: 06-25-07 - approved!

marriage: 07-23-07

AOS sent: 08-10-07

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 09-14-07

AOS approved: 11-19-07

green card received: 11-26-07

lifting of conditions filed: 10-29-09

NOA received: 11-09-09

lifting of conditions approved: 12-11-09

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

OP's profile indicates joining TODAY... what other posts and why does it make you think something is up?? (not that I have not had similar thoughts

I was going to respond, but I think it's better if I just keep my mouth shut for now. :blush:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

thank you for all your replies.

I really feel sorry for those of you who think i might have made it up. i really do not wish that on anyone. my husband has never been an angel but i loved him and i didnt marry him just to stay in the us. i didnt even say i wanted to stay here. i just asked for your opinion on this matter. I feel lost and thought you guys wouldnt judge me. the fact is that my husband is nowhere to be found and i know that in the past he had some mental issues, like depression etc. I am meeting a lawyer tomorrow so we will see what my opitons are. i entered on b2 visa, didnt plan on getting married. it was a spontanious decision. this is not my first time in the us. i have travelled to the us 12 times before i got married. so obviosuly if i really cared about the green card only, i would have gotten married a long time ago. so do NOT judge. if you have nothing positive to say, do NOT say anything.

thank you.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

well guys keep it down...on a long distance relationship if u see each other just 2 weeks all 4-5 month u can play a good fake game

my husband abused me too and i would lay both of my hands in fire that he is not the type of guy...he was always the charmest nicest guy and he is so manipulativ that i did not even get it in the beginning....and if someone what asked me do u think he could ever hurt u i would say "my husband never ever" until i had a hand in my face and a table on my body..and after that i still couldnt believe it....so people with mental problems are able to fake really good for month even years...and then they get a blackout...read the book why does he do that to me...i had many hours with a psychologic person to even really understand what went wrong so fast...our relationship went from amazing to nitemare in one week...so dont judge...

alex the chances are not that great u need a lot proove...but i hope it works out for u with a lawyer

but honestly when u in the beginning not even wanna stay here...why u are not moving home?its hard here alone trust me..i know what iam talking abt...

good luck and god bless u

AOS Timeline

08/13/08 AOS sent
08/18/08 NOA1
08/22/08 Appointment Biomentrics
09/10/08 Biometrics done
09/11/08 RFE
09/18/08 Case transfered to NBC
10/16/08 EAD approved
10/24/08 EAD approved again
10/27/08 EAD in Mail
10/28/08 applied for SSN (not verified)still waiting:-(
12/18/08 got my SSN today YEAHHHHH
12/30/08 passed my TX DL today YIPPIEEEEEEE
03/03/09 Interview ,approved...thanks god:-)
03/09/09 Welcome letter in Mail.Juhuuuuuuuu
03/16/09 Green Card in Mail:-)))))

02/02/10 I-751 Waiver to VSC
02/08/10 NOA1
02/17/10 Check cashed
04/15/10 Biometrics
07/26/10 Interview
08/06/10 Approved ,thanks god juhuuuuuuuuuuuu
08/16/10 Greencard in Mail,done for ten years:-))

N-400 here we go in the last round

12/09/2013 N-400 to Dallas

12/13/2013 NOA1

12/18/2013 check cashed

01/03/2014 Biometrics

02/04/2014 in line for Interview

04/11/2014 Interview& Oath

Filed: Other Country: Cameroon
Timeline

thank you for all your replies.

I really feel sorry for those of you who think i might have made it up. i really do not wish that on anyone. my husband has never been an angel but i loved him and i didnt marry him just to stay in the us. i didnt even say i wanted to stay here. i just asked for your opinion on this matter. I feel lost and thought you guys wouldnt judge me. the fact is that my husband is nowhere to be found and i know that in the past he had some mental issues, like depression etc. I am meeting a lawyer tomorrow so we will see what my opitons are. i entered on b2 visa, didnt plan on getting married. it was a spontanious decision. this is not my first time in the us. i have travelled to the us 12 times before i got married. so obviosuly if i really cared about the green card only, i would have gotten married a long time ago. so do NOT judge. if you have nothing positive to say, do NOT say anything.

thank you.

Many people do make it up....Here goes WAVA again.....$170,000,000.00 of our tax dollars down the drain again...

I wonder if a real americain as in born american woman would try to use WAVA if she would get denied? I would think that ..umm..yes...because it seems like MOST of people who are using WAVA are people who comes in the country and not waisting time to make a claim with WAVA, WAVA is a warranty for a green card...Whats amusing, men who are coming to his country, will do self inflictions and make a claim with WAVA to be issued a green card....People wake-up...

as I said: $170,000,000.00....that is why I hate paying taxes....I have no benefice, well, except watching others using it.... :bonk::bonk:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

well guys keep it down...on a long distance relationship if u see each other just 2 weeks all 4-5 month u can play a good fake game

my husband abused me too and i would lay both of my hands in fire that he is not the type of guy...he was always the charmest nicest guy and he is so manipulativ that i did not even get it in the beginning....and if someone what asked me do u think he could ever hurt u i would say "my husband never ever" until i had a hand in my face and a table on my body..and after that i still couldnt believe it....so people with mental problems are able to fake really good for month even years...and then they get a blackout...read the book why does he do that to me...i had many hours with a psychologic person to even really understand what went wrong so fast...our relationship went from amazing to nitemare in one week...so dont judge...

I don't doubt anything you've said. In fact, I've seen the same thing happen in a couple of other relationships (not ones that I was involved in).

However, think about this... Everything was going fine, and then one day your husband cracked without warning and got violent. I'm sure there was an awful lot going through your mind over the next few days, and probably a lot of things you needed to work out. Two days after that first incident, would you have been on an internet forum asking how to get a green card? :whistle:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

the thing is that....my first thought was also damn i gave everything up in germany i dont have anything there anymore..i builded up an existenz here with a job and friends and a house..what if i have to leave...

that are the things which ran through my mind...but when i got seperatet ive been here one and a half year so thats a long time...2 month is not..and there is the problem..iam still not approved for my removal and i was married almost 2 years...with not even a greencard yet i see there chance almost zero to stay here....

i know from cases where AOS was filed and it needed really long and people got deployed and died in war...these people got the greencard because they stayed that long in the states and uscis failed to process aos within 12 month...but in this case here..i dont thing so ...

i would go back home or try to work things out with the husband..go see a counselor and try to make ur marriage work...

AOS Timeline

08/13/08 AOS sent
08/18/08 NOA1
08/22/08 Appointment Biomentrics
09/10/08 Biometrics done
09/11/08 RFE
09/18/08 Case transfered to NBC
10/16/08 EAD approved
10/24/08 EAD approved again
10/27/08 EAD in Mail
10/28/08 applied for SSN (not verified)still waiting:-(
12/18/08 got my SSN today YEAHHHHH
12/30/08 passed my TX DL today YIPPIEEEEEEE
03/03/09 Interview ,approved...thanks god:-)
03/09/09 Welcome letter in Mail.Juhuuuuuuuu
03/16/09 Green Card in Mail:-)))))

02/02/10 I-751 Waiver to VSC
02/08/10 NOA1
02/17/10 Check cashed
04/15/10 Biometrics
07/26/10 Interview
08/06/10 Approved ,thanks god juhuuuuuuuuuuuu
08/16/10 Greencard in Mail,done for ten years:-))

N-400 here we go in the last round

12/09/2013 N-400 to Dallas

12/13/2013 NOA1

12/18/2013 check cashed

01/03/2014 Biometrics

02/04/2014 in line for Interview

04/11/2014 Interview& Oath

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.