brykit

Parental consent document

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

My fiance's son, who I included on the original I-129F application, will either join my fiance when she enters with her K-1 visa or he may follow my fiance a few months later. Will he need a parental consent document from his biological father? If so, does it need to be notorized? Any suggestions on what his father's letter should state if it is needed?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi,I have also been researching this very thing! Here is what I have found out (we are also dealing with fiancee in & kids in Mexico)

If other parent is on birth certificate of your fiancee's child you will need permission to allow the child to travel for immigration to USA. This should be a paper written by someone professional, maybe a lawyer or possibly you may write it & have it notarized. We have a lawyer friend who will write it, the other parent will sign & it will be notarized, with a photo of the other parent (maybe a copy of voter card photo, or curp)

You will need to translate it also,easy enough. You will need this paper at consulate in Cd. Juarez, but not for original petition.

We are trying to bring 2 kids, we have not filed K1 yet, we are waiting until after a visit in Sept. I am best friend of both Mexican fiancee & her future husband here in the USA. I am also trying to do most of the papers since I am the organised one, LOL!

If the other parent is not named on Birth Certificate, you don't need anything. Either way you need the other parent to sign on Mexican passport, both parents go together to passport office & sign for a minor child. Passports are aprox. 3 years $65 USD, 5 years $100 USD. You can get passport easily in about 5 days. We are working to bring fiancee & 2 boys aged 9 & 13 from Cozumel Island Yucatan, Mexico.

Timeline

I was just in Cozumel last week! My fiance's biological father's name is on the birth certificate so he will need to sign a consent document. Any idea what the document should state? Getting his father to sign it will be a challenge. I think I came upon one of your posts about needing the fiance to go to CDJ for the visa interview. Yes, all immigrants must go through CDJ and enter the warzone to get their visas. It's a long way from Cozumel.

Timeline

Yes we have resigned ourselves to going through CJ. I am gonna make it a fun adventure for the kids! I have 2 close friends who have already gone thru with husbands, but was hoping fiancee visa would be easier! Lets start a letter writing campaign to get us thru Merida Yucatan, nice safe city!!! LOL!

Lupita is getting a document that states the boys dad is willingly signing & allowing the boys to immigrate to USA in the custody of their mother who will make all future decisions on the children. It will be signed with a photo copy of dad's Curp or voter card or drivers license picture & notarized.

Our biological father wants the best for the boys tho' he has been out of their lives pretty much forever, he was not even listed as father on 2nd child since he abandoned mom before he was even born, basically 2 young kids with kids. Dad did feel sad about them leaving the country but mom pointed out they would thank him some day.

I travel several times a year to Cozumel, it is the best place on earth. Love it & Yucatan. I am hoping Cd. Juarez resolves some of the issues by early next year when I anticipate all of us going thru the consulate there. I am even going along (talk about a good friend huh? Or maybe crazy)I will keep future bride & groom relaxed since CJ is so freakin scary & just help out with the kids since we all ned to hang around for at least a week while waiting on the boys TB test results.

Keep in touch, it is nice to know someone else going thru the same place!

Kim

Timeline

We'll definetly be returning to Cozumel one day, it was awesome.

The medical will take four days for children 14 yrs. and younger. My fiance's visa interview was back in May 2009 and was denied for an inadmissability but her waiver was approved on July 2. Now we are waiting for an open appointment for her to return to get the visa. Her son Eduardo was at the first visa interview, had his medical but I think we will need to redo everything for him because it was more than one year ago. The good thing is that he is now 15 and won't need to wait four days for his medical results. I'm not sure if he will join my fiance when she enters or if he will wait to join later. I wonder if he waits to join us later, within a year of her visa, will he need to travel to CDJ for his K-2 visa? If so, we would need to make another trip to CDJ for his visa.

For our two previous visits to CDJ we have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express and when we return for her open appointment next month we will stay there again. I felt very secure there and the consulate was within walking distance.

Timeline

Oh you have lots of experience with CJ! yes the 4 day thing is gonna kill us financially, we need 2 rooms at hotel lots of airfare & lots of travel & food money plus the boys are coming across to El Paso immediately to USA cuz yep, we don't want to go thru CJ any more often than necessary!!!

We thought we should go on Sunday, be first in line monday for medicals & hope they give us all the visa's on friday so we can get out of dodge so to speak! If not ready on friday it will mean a weekend sitting on non-work days. We also considered arriving thursday, Dr. on friday,wait the TB results over the weekend Monday back to dr. and that would give us all week in front of us to get visa interview & visas...any suggestions with your past experience?

I lived a couple years in the jungle on Cozumel, I miss the color of the water sitting here in Wisconsin :o)

Timeline

Just be sure to check the consulate website for any days the consulate closes before you make your travel plans and verify with the hotel that you'll have a room available when you get there. The consulate closes for all US and Mexican holidays. Your plan sounds good for arriving on a Thursday and getting the medicals on a Friday. Since it takes four days for the medical results, I don't think the weekend will add more delay for the results and as you said you'll have all week to recover if something doesn't work out the way as planned. I'm not sure but the visas may need to be delived via DHL, which could take a few more days.

For my fiances visa appointment last May we arrived on a Sunday, got in line early Monday for the medical, the medical results for her son was ready on Thursday afternoon. Friday morning my fiance and her son went to the visa interview but returned with a denial. Luckily she was eligible for a waiver and now thats approved. Now we are waiting for the open appointment date which should be the last week in August.

Edited by brykit

Timeline

Yes I was thinking Thursday flight into CJ (Holiday Inn express, reservations in advance thursday- tuesday)then friday medicals which means we can lay low for the weekend then monday go early to check the TB result and either get into visa interview same day or next day tuesday...I think with approval they may still not do visas same day, but that gives us the rest of the week for DHL. I see no reason for Lupita & kids to be denied, she was never married, they have a very real relationship & kids really like fiance! I have my fingers crossed for all of them!

Were you on a vacation to Cozumel? Isn't it nice??? American fiance & I will fly to Cozumel, pack up Lupita & kids, go to Cancun, fly to DF then onto Cd. J...eventually crossing at El Paso and flying to Minnesota...yipes now THAT is a trip!

Sounds like you have had a long waiting process for your fiancee as well...best wishes! I have a question for you, was she ever married? and if not, did you need to prove that since she had a child? I am wondering if we need to show proof of Lupita never marrying the kids dad.

Timeline

We were in Cozumel from July 17-24. We stayed in a small complex I thik called President Condo's. We we within walking distance to "The Money Bar". It was a great vacation. It rained early in the week everyday and it wasn't too hot until the last couple of days.

Wow, that's lots of miles and time waiting for your transportation. You forgot to add in the ferry back to Playa del Carmen.

Maria was married before and I have all the divorce papers with translations as well as the BC's of her and Eduardo. Lot's of paper work! That's going to be touch to prove that the fiance was nevered married, I can't advice you there. Do you think they will ask her to prove that she nevered married?

Timeline

ahh yes the money bar, I used to run a little mayan art shop down the beach from there!

Yes I know we need to pay for Ferry ride to Playa del Carmen as well, used to be $4usd now it is like $15usd...woaaaa! Our Lupita used to work on the ferries so she has a nice dicount anyway :)

I think she may need to get a certificate at the palacio saying she never married, should not be a problem since she has lived on Cozumel all her life. It is a nice little island & easy to get all the documents, however that is what makes traveling to Cd. Juarez so dang scary!

Any hints for us about proving the relationship? What was your snag last time you went, if you don't mind sharing? I am trying to absorb as much info as possible!

Kim

Edited by Kimchimex

Timeline

For proving our relationship I had keep everything I could during the two years we dated. I keep all kinds of receipts such as my airline flights, bus tickets, hotel receipts, phone bills, emails, IM's, and pictures.

Your friends shouldn't have any trouble, especially if the fiance that lives in Cozumel has never entered the U.S. Just be sure they answer everything as truthful as possible. I'd highly recommend keeping copies of everything sent in as it is sent and anything they receive because they'll need to refer to them again and again for information. Keeping a calendar and notes when something is sent and received is very helpful to remember when something was sent or received.

Our hang up came from 10 years earlier. This happened years before I met her. My fiance, Maria, got a visitors visa and was coming to the U.S. to visit friends. At the Houston airport POE she was charged with misrepresentation, the officer thought she was coming to the U.S. to work on a visitors visa. She was charged with misrep. because the office talked to her friends she was going to visit. The officer asked the friends "What will Maria do for you when she is staying with you?" Her friends were asked this again and again in different ways and one finally said "She will wash our dishes and do our laundry." That was considered coming to work and she was returned to Mexico immediately and given a life time ban. The waiver we just had approved waived her inamissibility and the life time ban and she has been pardoned for her mistake.

Timeline

For proving our relationship I had keep everything I could during the two years we dated. I keep all kinds of receipts such as my airline flights, bus tickets, hotel receipts, phone bills, emails, IM's, and pictures.

Your friends shouldn't have any trouble, especially if the fiance that lives in Cozumel has never entered the U.S. Just be sure they answer everything as truthful as possible. I'd highly recommend keeping copies of everything sent in as it is sent and anything they receive because they'll need to refer to them again and again for information. Keeping a calendar and notes when something is sent and received is very helpful to remember when something was sent or received.

Our hang up came from 10 years earlier. This happened years before I met her. My fiance, Maria, got a visitors visa and was coming to the U.S. to visit friends. At the Houston airport POE she was charged with misrepresentation, the officer thought she was coming to the U.S. to work on a visitors visa. She was charged with misrep. because the office talked to her friends she was going to visit. The officer asked the friends "What will Maria do for you when she is staying with you?" Her friends were asked this again and again in different ways and one finally said "She will wash our dishes and do our laundry." That was considered coming to work and she was returned to Mexico immediately and given a life time ban. The waiver we just had approved waived her inamissibility and the life time ban and she has been pardoned for her mistake.

Timeline

Ouch...I bet all of that was sacry & devastating! I am really happy it worked out! I have lots of Mexican friends living here all legal, got married in Cozumel etc...but this is the first fiancee visa, so everyone is nervous.

It feels especially scary because of the children, aged 9 & 13 coming to a foriegn country, not a whole lot of english (though they are learning) flying on airplanes the first time! I hope they don't freeze in our snow, we will need to get them snow boarding or something so they embrace it all.

If Rip & Lupita got turned down for any reason the kids would be super sad since I think they are happy & really like Rip for future dad!

we are sending in our package late Sept. after we return from a trip down so that Rip can offically propose to Lupita! Fun! He is bringing the ring, I am planning the party LOL!

Thanks for the information!

Timeline

Yes I was thinking Thursday flight into CJ (Holiday Inn express, reservations in advance thursday- tuesday)then friday medicals which means we can lay low for the weekend then monday go early to check the TB result and either get into visa interview same day or next day tuesday...I think with approval they may still not do visas same day, but that gives us the rest of the week for DHL. I see no reason for Lupita & kids to be denied, she was never married, they have a very real relationship & kids really like fiance! I have my fingers crossed for all of them!

Were you on a vacation to Cozumel? Isn't it nice??? American fiance & I will fly to Cozumel, pack up Lupita & kids, go to Cancun, fly to DF then onto Cd. J...eventually crossing at El Paso and flying to Minnesota...yipes now THAT is a trip!

Sounds like you have had a long waiting process for your fiancee as well...best wishes! I have a question for you, was she ever married? and if not, did you need to prove that since she had a child? I am wondering if we need to show proof of Lupita never marrying the kids dad.

It may take longer than a week now with K2s. My husband and my stepkids came through CJ in February. We had planned something similar time-line wise as you are planning, but their week in CJ turned into three. Thankfully they were staying with family!

When my husband (then fiance) went for medical with the kids, they only allowed him in and informed him that he has to have his visa approved before consulate will allow the kids to have their medical done and then their interview.

So, the first week was him getting his med. done and his visa interview, some days closed due to holidays the next week and the four day wait for the 13 yr old once my husband got his visa approval and a letter from the Consulate allowing the kids to have their medical the third week.

They got their visas at dhl on a wed. and crossed that night at 2am.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.