ace203

Bringing mother & 2 brothers, younger than 21yrs

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hello everyone, I'm sure this question is asked hundreds if not thousands of times on this forum already but for some reason I feel that I should ask it again for my satisfaction before I let it go. :innocent: I have to say that this forum is a real help regarding everything to do with immigration.

I'm USC, want to sponsor my mother which I know shouldn't be any problem. I've two brothers, 17 & 19 years old, at first I though as they'll get the visa along with my mother since they are not 21 years yet but by going through several postings on this forum, I realized that it is not true since they are not considered as my instant family. I can sponsor them and they'll fall in Category 4 which can take around 10 years for Pakistan and if I wait for my mother to sponsor them once she gets here, it'll fall into Category 2, it pretty much gets down to the same time frame because I can sponsor them right now and she needs to wait until she gets here by getting her own visa first. And if sons turns 21 and get married, she needs to wait to become citizen before she could sponsor them whereas I can do the same thing right now?

Any input will be greatly appreciated to confirm these thoughts. Thank you in advance.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone, I'm sure this question is asked hundreds if not thousands of times on this forum already but for some reason I feel that I should ask it again for my satisfaction before I let it go. :innocent: I have to say that this forum is a real help regarding everything to do with immigration.

I'm USC, want to sponsor my mother which I know shouldn't be any problem. I've two brothers, 17 & 19 years old, at first I though as they'll get the visa along with my mother since they are not 21 years yet but by going through several postings on this forum, I realized that it is not true since they are not considered as my instant family. I can sponsor them and they'll fall in Category 4 which can take around 10 years for Pakistan and if I wait for my mother to sponsor them once she gets here, it'll fall into Category 2, it pretty much gets down to the same time frame because I can sponsor them right now and she needs to wait until she gets here by getting her own visa first. And if sons turns 21 and get married, she needs to wait to become citizen before she could sponsor them whereas I can do the same thing right now?

Any input will be greatly appreciated to confirm these thoughts. Thank you in advance.

You seem to have a good understanding of the situation... what is your question?

YMMV

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

You seem to have a good understanding of the situation... what is your question?

Just making sure/double-checking that I'm not missing anything when believing that even though my brothers are younger than 21yrs, there is no way they can accompany my mother who will be getting visa in a few months hopefully once I file a petition for her.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Just making sure/double-checking that I'm not missing anything when believing that even though my brothers are younger than 21yrs, there is no way they can accompany my mother who will be getting visa in a few months hopefully once I file a petition for her.

correct, the age of your siblings doesn't matter, siblings aren't derivatives son they are filed on a separate petition than parents.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Correct anyone who is considered an immediate relative of the USC petitioner, is not eligible for derivative benefit

YMMV

@payxibka & @aleful - Thank you so much, you guys are definitely making a big difference helping others in need, saving time and money, keep it up!!!

my friend has the same predicament but worse, hehe and she is asking me what's best for her to do...she recently became a citizen last july 2010. she plans to petition her mother and sister.. the problem is the sister will be 21 on November. she wants to know what to do, will she petition just her mom first and once mom is here petition the sister? but then mom will just be a green card holder and it will take her a long time too...please help because im not familiar with the process...thank you!

1997- met in Highschool (philippines)

2004 - andrea migrated to U.S.

2005 - visited then b.f.

2007 - MARRIED

2008 - visited now husband in philippines

jULY 24, 2009 - andrea got her U.S. Citizenship

july 30,2009- I130 received

august 2009- VISITED hubby

sept 14, 2009- I130 approved

november 12, 2009 -case complete

december 14, 2009- interview -APPROVED!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.