Kikay K

Can I keep my passport after medical exam at St. Luke's?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi! Is there a possibility of retaining my passport after my medical exam at St. Luke's? I know that they keep the passport and they forward it to USEM for the interview. However, are there exceptions? Here are the details:

[1] I want my medical exam done this week (Aug. 2) while I am on leave from work.

[2] I have a professional exam the following week, and the only id they accept is the passport.

[3] I am expecting a 2-month sputum culture exam because of my lung scar.

[4] I live far from Manila so I need to go there with a concrete idea as to how things will go with my passport, etc. However, I've been trying to call SLMC for a week now, but I can't get to talk to an operator :-(

Any ideas and related experiences? Thanks!

Yes. You can tell them that you need to keep your passport and it will be OK. My wife (fiancee at the time) needed to keep her passport after medical in order to pick up her police clearance from the Japanese embassy in the event it came early. It was no problem. She just brought it with her during her interview. Good luck!

Please look at the "About Me" page in our profile for our complete K-1 and AOS processing timeline.

AOS
Packet sent: 11 May 2010
Transferred to CSC: 08 June 2010
AP Received: 30 July 2010
EAD Received: 02 Aug 2010
AOS Approved / Card production ordered: 02 Nov 2010
Greed Card Received: 08 Nov 2010

ROC
Packet Sent: 3 Oct 2012
NOA Date: 9 Oct 2012
Biometrics: 6 Nov 2012
ROC Approved: 23 April 2013

Card Received: 26 April 2013

^^^ Agreed. You can keep your passport. Just explain your circumstances to them. St. Lukes also will return passports to those who have their interview a very short time after their medical.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you! With the help of your messages, I had more courage to go to SLMCEC. I confirmed with them before the start of my medical exam that I can keep my passport if I really want to (with or without medical findings).As expected though, based on my lung history, I'll undergo the 2-month sputum exam, so I'll be really keeping my passport after all :-)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.