HARIBOLOVER

DS-230 Q.33 Dropped out of high school

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hello everyone, I need help please!

I'm working on DS-230 part 1 and I'm having a problem with filling out question 33.

33. List all educational institutions attended.

Before I start, I have to say what I have done is wrong but I really need your help please.

I went to high school in Japan but dropped out and never gained a high school diploma. Here is what I did and I know this is wrong: I made a fake diploma to enter college in the U.S. and graduated with an AA degree.

My question is this. This is a rare case but is there anyone who has done the same or something similar? If there is, what did you put for the question? I came up with the following 2 ways to fill it out.

1. Put my educational background as it is. Start from elementary school and for high school, put the actual period I attended the high school under From/To and put "none" under Degree or Diploma.

This is honest but I wonder if it won't seem suspicious to graduate from college without a high school diploma. Will I get asked about this at the interview?

2. Just put the college information.

It says "List below all educational institution." so I don't have to lie but I'm not following the instruction.

I'm very worried and don't know what to put. Please someone kindly help me out.

Your answer will be very much appreciated!!! Thank you.

Edited by HARIBOLOVER

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I only filled out my highest education information which were college and university. I did not fill out any high school information and I had no questions ask.

Our AOS Journey started:

Nov 06, 2010: CS & CQ got married in Las Vegas

Nov 26, 2010: AOS-EAD-AP package sent out

Nov 29, 2010: Package delivered at 1:12pm

Dec 10, 2010: Received text messages from USCIS regarding receipt numbers for AOS, EAD, and AP

Dec 14, 2010: Received three I-797C from mail

Dec 18, 2010: Touched

Jan 05, 2011: Received RFE for I-485 (email)

Jan 10, 2011: Received RFE for I-485 (hardcopy)

Jan 11, 2011: Sent response to RFE for I-485 (Fedex/UPS do not deliver to PO Box. Only USPS does and it takes 2 days even for Express Post)

Jan 13, 2011: Response to RFE delivered

Jan 14, 2011: Touched

Jan 15, 2011: Touched

Jan 18, 2011: Received Biometric Appointment letter in mail

Jan 21, 2011: Biometric Appointment (Walk-in Successful)

Feb 10, 2011: Biometric Appointment (Originally Scheduled)

Feb 12, 2011: Received 1st text/email for EAD card in production and AP was APPROVED

Feb 17, 2011: Received 2nd text/email for EAD card in production

Feb 18, 2011: Received 3rd text/email for EAD card has been mailed out

Feb 18, 2011: Received AP!!!! YAY!!!!

Feb 22, 2011: Received EAD!!!!

Feb 22, 2011: Received letter for 2nd fingerprints :(

Mar 17, 2011: 2nd fingerprints

May 02, 2011: AOS Interview Approved!!!!!!

May 07, 2011: Received "Welcome to America" letter

May 09, 2011: Received Green Card. Yay!!!!!

as1cHvOuM2B0010MDA3MjM5cHN8NDUyOTY1c3xIYXBwaWx5IE1hcnJpZWQ.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

moving thread to:

US Embassy and Consulate Discussion

This is the place to post your experiences or questions related to this last step before moving to the US. Topics relating to I-134's, packets sent from consulate and medical & police certificates should be posted here.

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Whether you choose to list anything before college or not, be honest. Never intentionally lie about anything on an immigration form, even if it's not a "material fact" that would affect your eligibility.

Now, with that disclaimer out the way...

The US government does not care whether you actually finished high school, and there are many many people in the US who have gotten a college degree without ever obtaining a high school diploma. Even if the college absolutely requires that every student be a high school graduate (which most do), there are alternatives to actually graduating from high school. If you pass the GED test then you would have the equivalent of a high school diploma that would be acceptable at almost any college or university in the US. In California, there's a test called the California High School Proficiency Exam. If you pass this test, then you are admissible in any public college or university in the state. Many other states have similar exams. You don't have to attend any "educational institution" in order to take and pass one of these tests.

The bottom line is that it is not unusual to see someone who has a college degree, but did not finish high school. It won't look suspicious on your DS-230. If it comes up at the interview (which is unlikely) then you'll have to decide how to answer the question. :whistle:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

moving thread to:

US Embassy and Consulate Discussion

This is the place to post your experiences or questions related to this last step before moving to the US. Topics relating to I-134's, packets sent from consulate and medical & police certificates should be posted here.

Thank you payxibka. I'm new to this website. Thank you for your help!

Timeline

Whether you choose to list anything before college or not, be honest. Never intentionally lie about anything on an immigration form, even if it's not a "material fact" that would affect your eligibility.

Now, with that disclaimer out the way...

The US government does not care whether you actually finished high school, and there are many many people in the US who have gotten a college degree without ever obtaining a high school diploma. Even if the college absolutely requires that every student be a high school graduate (which most do), there are alternatives to actually graduating from high school. If you pass the GED test then you would have the equivalent of a high school diploma that would be acceptable at almost any college or university in the US. In California, there's a test called the California High School Proficiency Exam. If you pass this test, then you are admissible in any public college or university in the state. Many other states have similar exams. You don't have to attend any "educational institution" in order to take and pass one of these tests.

The bottom line is that it is not unusual to see someone who has a college degree, but did not finish high school. It won't look suspicious on your DS-230. If it comes up at the interview (which is unlikely) then you'll have to decide how to answer the question. :whistle:

Thank you Jim for your advice.

I'm thinking of taking the GED test when I go back to the US. But I'm relieved to hear that this is not that unusual and won't look suspicious. I think I'll just put my college info that way at least I don't have to lie. Thank you so much again!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.