12/11/2006

Trying to bring my husband's sisters to the USA

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hello,

I am a USC and my husband is a LPR. I am interested in bringing his sister's to the United States to either visit or live here permanently from Jamaica. Is this possible because I will be the one filing for them? How long does this usually take and what are the required forms to complete? I'm really lost at this whole process but I would really like them to be here with us. Any suggestions or comments are helpful and appreciated. Thank you

AOS Package 2008

Married JANUARY 5 2008.......AWWW

Civil Surgeon 2/24 results 2 days later

Mailed AOS 3/1 YAYYYYYYYY!!!!

V. Bustmante signed in receipt of package 3/3

check cashed !!!!!!!!!!!3/10

Received receipt notice in the mail for AOS & EAD 3/12

RFE on 485 stating I 94 card front and back 3/24 (already enclosed) :(

Sent RFE back 3/27

Lees MO received RFE 3/31

change of address online 4/1 (hopefully it doesn't confuse things)

CASE TRANSFERRED to CALIFORNIA 4/10

Biometrics 4/29

EAD APPROVED--Card production ordered 5/5

Received EAD card 5/10

Mailed AP application 5/12....home sick :(

Received AP document in mail 6/27...YAY!!! :)

Card production ordered via website 7/7 Yea baby yea!!!

Green Card in Hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 7/16

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS 2010:

Mailed I751 Application 4/2

USCIS Received Monday 4/5

Received NOA (12 mos extension) 4/9

Biometrics letter received 4/26...scheduled for 5/12

APPROVAL letter received!!!!!! 6/25

Hello,

I am a USC and my husband is a LPR. I am interested in bringing his sister's to the United States to either visit or live here permanently from Jamaica. Is this possible because I will be the one filing for them? How long does this usually take and what are the required forms to complete? I'm really lost at this whole process but I would really like them to be here with us. Any suggestions or comments are helpful and appreciated. Thank you

You can't file for them as you're not related to them in any way. Once your husband has his citizenship certificate in hand, he can file I-130 for his sisters, not sooner.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello,

tourist visa is the most obvious short term answer.... if approved, it will allow them up to a 6 mos. visit. There is no current permanent immigration solution (short of the green card lottery) until such time as your husband is a USC... and even then it is another 10 years after that.

A USC cannot petition for permanent immigration for "in-laws" of any kind. A resident can petition for spouse and children.. A USC can petition for spouse, children, parents and siblings.

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.