AZSUN

Kiev Apartment

57 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I do not question that this happens, and I think most Americans in Ukraine are paying something like 3 times what they should for just about everything, and it can be worse if a Ukrainian "helps" you :rofl: As Alla says "Everyone has to eat" The best defense is simply knowing what the going rate should be (preferably you do not get information from soneone that paid 3 times too much) and refusing any offers of more. Prices are VERY negotiable.

For the record, my MIL tells me the same thing when I follow her to the market to carry her bags of groceries. My first few days in Odessa, maybe a week or so, I DID get "misled" by some local Ukrainians of the female persuasion (imagine that) who would tell me the cab fare to where we were going was 100 UAH, etc. "OK" :bonk: It was only when I took nearly the identical ride alone a few days after being there that I discovered the fare was 30 UAH. :huh:

Live and learn. :lol:

This is some good advice. You simply have to know what it should cost. The foreigner thing just gives everyone the impression that you don't know. But taxi drivers will do the same thing to Russians that they know aren't local. Let them know that you know and you can probably work things out. After all, they still want to do business.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

This is some good advice. You simply have to know what it should cost. The foreigner thing just gives everyone the impression that you don't know. But taxi drivers will do the same thing to Russians that they know aren't local. Let them know that you know and you can probably work things out. After all, they still want to do business.

True, I think tourists can be taken advantage of anywhere. If you do not know how far it is from Point A to point B, and you do not know local cab fares, you are ripe for picking and they WILL pick you. Whether it is Kiev or Miami. People around here rent cabins on the lake for $700-$1000 per WEEK! :rofl:

In Ukraine, I have found that everyone is an entrepeneur. They ALL want to make money. If you are renting an apartment from anyone BUT the owner, you are paying a fee for service. The cab driver gets a fee to bring you there, the renting agent gets a fee to rent it to you and the owner gets his price and YOU foot the bill. Going as direct as possible is the best bet.

The main question is, "Are you getting what you agreed to pay for?" If the answer is "Yes" then be happy and enjoy yourself. I paid 100 UAH for some 30 UAH cab rides but it was in the company of some pleasant companionship...who's complaining? I got home, just as promised.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Renting a flat at the airport can be done, nearly any of the drivers know of places (and get "commissions" for bringing you there) It is as reliable as any other method, especially for short stays when they really won't reserve a particular apartment anyway. I never worried about internet, because...well, I just don't worry about internet, anything on the internet will be here when I get back...but internet in Ukraine is anything but reliable. we have ful service internet at our flat in Donetsk, paid a year in advance, and when Alla arrived there in May...no internet. It took her several days, and being told more than once that she "would probably not have internet ever again" :lol: Finally after about a week, and several vists by "service men" she got it turned back on. Hopefully it will work for you.

Maybe so, but I still wouldn't rent that way. My rationale is this; why land at the airport and try to work out a rental when there are easily a half dozen companies (recommended by vjers who used them) that have everything you need?

As to the internet, the internet cafes are everywhere in central Kiev, and cheap too. Last time I was there I went often to the cafe above the post office (across the street from that huge mall on Kruschatik). I managed to work from there and everything - although it got pretty hot in there.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

Maybe so, but I still wouldn't rent that way. My rationale is this; why land at the airport and try to work out a rental when there are easily a half dozen companies (recommended by vjers who used them) that have everything you need?

As to the internet, the internet cafes are everywhere in central Kiev, and cheap too. Last time I was there I went often to the cafe above the post office (across the street from that huge mall on Kruschatik). I managed to work from there and everything - although it got pretty hot in there.

Agreed. I do not recommend getting the apartment from the driver at the airport, I was only coinfirming it can be done. The drivers can hook you up with just about anything. B-)

Gary And Alla

Maybe so, but I still wouldn't rent that way. My rationale is this; why land at the airport and try to work out a rental when there are easily a half dozen companies (recommended by vjers who used them) that have everything you need

Thumbs up.

There are places in the world I'd go without reservations... none of those places are in Eastern Europe.

drivers can hook you up with just about anything. B-)

Herpes is forever.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Herpes is forever.

That's what I was thinking. I had this image of the driver taking orders like a kid at McDonald's - "so that'll be an order of herpes, with a side of crotch crickets? - comin' up!!".

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

That's what I was thinking. I had this image of the driver taking orders like a kid at McDonald's - "so that'll be an order of herpes, with a side of crotch crickets? - comin' up!!".

Brad, these are Ukrainian women we are talking about. Though related, they are not EXACTLY the same as Russians. :P

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Brad, these are Ukrainian women we are talking about. Though related, they are not EXACTLY the same as Russians. :P

You probably won't get anywhere with that. VV is on "hiatus"

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

I'm taking my ball(s) and I'm going home. No more UA postings for me.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Way to go Gary, nothing like stirring the pot. I'll admit I'm biased towards Ukrainian women but I'm not going to stretch it too far. There are a lot of very good Russian women and many men in this country will testify to that fact.

Let's just say we went east for a better woman than what was available at home. :thumbs:

Timeline

Way to go Gary, nothing like stirring the pot. I'll admit I'm biased towards Ukrainian women but I'm not going to stretch it too far. There are a lot of very good Russian women and many men in this country will testify to that fact.

Let's just say we went east for a better woman than what was available at home. :thumbs:

Awwwwwwwwwwww, I think they know I'm kidding.

Gary And Alla

Not stirring at all, Noooooo!

Awwwwwwwwwwww, I think they know I'm kidding.

Liar

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Is there a noticeable difference between "Ukrainian Russians" and "Russian Russians?" I know you guys with more Ukraine experience have probably made some personal observations... what stands out for you?

As for me, I have a little experience with Russians from Russia, Kyrgyzstan, Belarus and Lithuania. I have seen a distinct difference between ethnic Russians (older, former FSU ethnic Russians) from Lithuania and Lithuanians from Lithuania. The folks from Kyrgyzstan seemed to be pretty Russified whether they were ethnic Russian or ethnic Kyrgyz. The Belarussian girls I got to know a little seemed just like the Russian girls I knew but I didn't get to know them well enough to spot differences.

Русский форум член.

Timeline

Is there a noticeable difference between "Ukrainian Russians" and "Russian Russians?" I know you guys with more Ukraine experience have probably made some personal observations... what stands out for you?

As for me, I have a little experience with Russians from Russia, Kyrgyzstan, Belarus and Lithuania. I have seen a distinct difference between ethnic Russians (older, former FSU ethnic Russians) from Lithuania and Lithuanians from Lithuania. The folks from Kyrgyzstan seemed to be pretty Russified whether they were ethnic Russian or ethnic Kyrgyz. The Belarussian girls I got to know a little seemed just like the Russian girls I knew but I didn't get to know them well enough to spot differences.

In my experience and opinion based on that experience, Ukrainian women are slower to use the "sting", but most definitely still have it. Alla claims they are better at keeping house, cleaner. Not in personal hygiene, but in how they keep their living place. I really do not have enough knowledge to comment on that. I never was involved or interested in women from the central asian republics and nly from Moldova and now we have one friend from Moldova. Moldovans have the reputation of not being so clever...like Arkansas or West Virginia people, but I cannot say it is true from my experience (very limited)

Gary And Alla

we have one friend from Moldova. Moldovans have the reputation of not being so clever...like Arkansas or West Virginia people, but I cannot say it is true from my experience (very limited)

I knew a girl from Moldova and she was sharp as a tack. My wife was surprised because, like you said, they're supposed to be dumb. She was easy on the eyes too.....

Русский форум член.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.