RKM5112

Police cert prior to interview

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Myanmar
Timeline

My fiance has received the packet from my embassy in her country (Myanmar) asking her to gather the appropriate documents and forms. Most of them are quick and easy things, but I'm worried about the police certificates. Her police record is completely clean, just the wait time has me worried. She will need to gather certificates from two countries, each with a return time of ~2-3 weeks. With how slow her country's mail system is we're probably looking at 4 weeks before she gets the certificates.

My question is should she send the rest of the documents in before receiving the certificates and just note that they will arrive in a few weeks? Should we wait another month to month in a half until we get the certificates and then turn the documents in to schedule the interview?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Normally the Thai Embassy (I am assuming you are using the Thai Embassy for Myanmar) was scheduling appointments about 2 weeks out before the political unrest with the red shirts. They now seem to be scheduling about six weeks out with maybe one to two weeks of notice by mail. It is hard to say.

No matter what, it is still best to have the Police Certificates in hand before mailing in the checklist or DS-2001. You are signing that you have ALL of the documents.

Good luck.

Naturalization N-400

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

moving to:

US Embassy and Consulate Discussion

This is the place to post your experiences or questions related to this last step before moving to the US. Topics relating to I-134's, packets sent from consulate and medical & police certificates should be posted here.

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bolivia
Timeline

Your best bet is to contact the Consular in country with your question. We had a somewhat similar situation in which we had to submit all of our documents at least 10 days prior to our interview date.

Shortly after their arrival, I received a confirmation email of Lizeth's interview date and time with a list of more documentation needed. Everything that they asked for was sent in the mail but after contacting them they explained it was standard procedure. One of the things they asked for was her police certificate. I called them to ask why they needed it and they said that the one we submitted was not generated on a "national" level (although it clearly stated that on her first record). The man on the phone was very polite and said that the certificate we need can take as much as 30 days to process but that Lizeth should still show up to her interview. It was explained to me that if an approval is determined on the day of her interview, they would generate her visa when the new police certificate arrives.

Here's the email information for the Myanmar Consualte: consularrangoo@state.gov

Response times can take up to 24 hours. Try to keep your questions brief since they receive a lot of questions.

b935d5d962.png

K-1 TIMELINE

Feb 22, 2010 - I-129F sent to Vermont

Mar 03, 2010 - Arrived at CSC

Mar 08, 2010 - NOA-1

Mar 09, 2010 - Touched

May 25, 2010 - NOA2 (Approved in 83 days from NOA1 date)

Jun 17, 2010 - Packet 4

Jun 30, 2010 - Medicals & Vaccinations

Jul 15, 2010 - Interview Date (221g "Pending Approval-Police Certificate)

Sep 15, 2010 - Visa adjudicated, printed, & Mailed via DHL

Sep 17, 2010 - Visa pick-up date

?? - POE USA

?? - Apply for SSN

?? - Marriage

?? - Start AOS process

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.