venassa

Proof of ties to Canada

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello once again...

I went to see my fiancee a week ago and just told the customs people I was going to visit friends (we still havnt received NOA2 so I didnt think it was a big deal. However, Im going to see him again in September, by then we should have our NOA2 and if were lucky Ill have package 3! So im going to have to tell the customs the whole deal and show paperwork right?

What paperwork do I show them? And does anyone know what kind of letter my boss should write for me to state im under contract with them (work is my only tie to Canada). Is there an example writen somewhere that I havnt found?

Many thanks and God Bless

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello once again...

I went to see my fiancee a week ago and just told the customs people I was going to visit friends (we still havnt received NOA2 so I didnt think it was a big deal. However, Im going to see him again in September, by then we should have our NOA2 and if were lucky Ill have package 3! So im going to have to tell the customs the whole deal and show paperwork right?

What paperwork do I show them? And does anyone know what kind of letter my boss should write for me to state im under contract with them (work is my only tie to Canada). Is there an example writen somewhere that I havnt found?

Many thanks and God Bless

You have to tell CBP whatever they ask. If you start offering information or documents without being asked you'll probably find yourself in secondary inspection rather quickly. They get suspicious when someone is too quick to prove their innocence when they haven't been accused of anything yet.

Because entry is at the discretion of the CBP officer, they can ask practically anything they want. They can also be as strict or loose with the "ties" evidence as they want to be. It depends on the particular CBP officer, what they think of you, and even what side of the bed they woke up on.

If they ask why you're visiting the US, be honest - you're visiting your fiance. If they know about the approved K1 petition then any other answer might seem dishonest (unless you travel to the US regularly for business, etc.).

There is anecdotal evidence that having documentation for the K1 visa helps avoid a presumption that you will marry and attempt to adjust status while you're in the US. If you decide to bring this documentation, bring only what is necessary to prove you have an approved petition (a copy of the NOA2, for example). Don't bring a copy of the entire petition package, and definitely don't bring all of the documents and evidence you'll be bringing to the interview. This would only make it look like you have everything you need to marry and file for AOS while you're in the US. If they ask for anything like that (birth certificate, divorce decree, whatever) make it clear that those documents are staying in Canada because you'll need them at your K1 interview.

The letter from your employer should state that you are employed by the company, and that you are expected to return to work on xx/yy/zzzz date. If the CBP officer is genuinely suspicious of your intentions then a letter from your employer probably won't be nearly enough to persuade them otherwise. If that's all you've got, then just hope the CBP officer is in a good mood. :blush:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Basically what JimVaPhuong said.

I brought copies of whatever immigration forms I had, along with a letter from my employer saying I was employed until X date(if you don't know a date, pick one you're expecting to work till, then re-do one if the date passes).

I was honest when visiting my fiance, stating so.

I was never asked for my ties.

I answered their questions as short as possible, not offering any other information.

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Basically what JimVaPhuong said.

I brought copies of whatever immigration forms I had, along with a letter from my employer saying I was employed until X date(if you don't know a date, pick one you're expecting to work till, then re-do one if the date passes).

I was honest when visiting my fiance, stating so.

I was never asked for my ties.

I answered their questions as short as possible, not offering any other information.

Which crossing did you use? Just curious because my fiance is also in Michigan and I'm moving to Ontario next week (will be living near the Blue Water Bridge).

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

Timeline

Which crossing did you use? Just curious because my fiance is also in Michigan and I'm moving to Ontario next week (will be living near the Blue Water Bridge).

I always used the Ambassador Bridge in Windsor, cause I lived near it.

Good luck in your move! I also moved near the Michigan border & lived there for over a year just to be closer.

Your fiance is in Ann Arbor right? (if I remember right, hehe)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Good luck in your move! I also moved near the Michigan border & lived there for over a year just to be closer.

I was detented before and was allowed to enter again. I bought my employment contract, paystubs, bank statement, car insurance, return ticket, and interview letter with US Consultate. If you have a lease or mortgage you can bring that with you too. I don't have one so I just bring my car insurance. I was crossing YVR airport. Hope this help.

Our AOS Journey started:

Nov 06, 2010: CS & CQ got married in Las Vegas

Nov 26, 2010: AOS-EAD-AP package sent out

Nov 29, 2010: Package delivered at 1:12pm

Dec 10, 2010: Received text messages from USCIS regarding receipt numbers for AOS, EAD, and AP

Dec 14, 2010: Received three I-797C from mail

Dec 18, 2010: Touched

Jan 05, 2011: Received RFE for I-485 (email)

Jan 10, 2011: Received RFE for I-485 (hardcopy)

Jan 11, 2011: Sent response to RFE for I-485 (Fedex/UPS do not deliver to PO Box. Only USPS does and it takes 2 days even for Express Post)

Jan 13, 2011: Response to RFE delivered

Jan 14, 2011: Touched

Jan 15, 2011: Touched

Jan 18, 2011: Received Biometric Appointment letter in mail

Jan 21, 2011: Biometric Appointment (Walk-in Successful)

Feb 10, 2011: Biometric Appointment (Originally Scheduled)

Feb 12, 2011: Received 1st text/email for EAD card in production and AP was APPROVED

Feb 17, 2011: Received 2nd text/email for EAD card in production

Feb 18, 2011: Received 3rd text/email for EAD card has been mailed out

Feb 18, 2011: Received AP!!!! YAY!!!!

Feb 22, 2011: Received EAD!!!!

Feb 22, 2011: Received letter for 2nd fingerprints :(

Mar 17, 2011: 2nd fingerprints

May 02, 2011: AOS Interview Approved!!!!!!

May 07, 2011: Received "Welcome to America" letter

May 09, 2011: Received Green Card. Yay!!!!!

as1cHvOuM2B0010MDA3MjM5cHN8NDUyOTY1c3xIYXBwaWx5IE1hcnJpZWQ.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey venassa

I am currently home visiting my fiance before our interview on August 9th, and was very nervous crossing the border, you have no idea! I was here for 6 months last time and thought they would make a big deal out of it -which they almost did! But here's my advice if it can help!

1- NEVER lie to the officer, and tell him/her straight up that you are visiting your fiance. You are not doing anything illegal here by doing that, so why lie.

2- Answer questions shortly and to the point. I gave him more details to questions when he seemed to ponder in his mind what I was saying. But I kept it short, no life stories required.

3- Fly there, then you have a return ticket to show that you're coming back.

And here's what I had with me to show ties, and what I actually needed:

- Letter from employer

- 2 months worth of pay stubs

- NOA2, NVC letter, P3 letter

- 2 months worth of Visa bills

- Loan agreement documents

- 2009 Income Tax documents

- Return flight info

Overall it went pretty well, apart from the guy's foul mood at the border. I was so happy he let me in I didn't even care after!

Good luck!

For our detailed K-1, AOS and ROC journey, see the "about me" page on our profile!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

That's right. I'm moving back to Sarnia (my hometown) so we can see each other more.

I've never crossed at the Ambassador Bridge or the tunnel. Did you ever use the tunnel? I imagine at some point I'll be crossing via one or the other. I'll probably get sick of driving the I-94 all the time, haha.

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

Timeline

That's right. I'm moving back to Sarnia (my hometown) so we can see each other more.

I've never crossed at the Ambassador Bridge or the tunnel. Did you ever use the tunnel? I imagine at some point I'll be crossing via one or the other. I'll probably get sick of driving the I-94 all the time, haha.

I've crossed the tunnel a few times, but on the US side, it leads you to the downtown Detroit area...& unless I was going there specifically(rarely), I always used the bridge.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I had my paper work checked a number of times..

Always have return info - this is critical.

Proof of employment

Proof of address (used my phone bill)

All immigration paperwork to prove you are going through the process

The letter I would use was always on company letterhead.

Here is what it would say..

To whom it may concern,

Please accept this letter as confirmation that Shelley XXX is an active employee within the "Department" at "Employer". She is employed as a Business Analyst.

Shelley will be returning to work on Tuesday February 16, 2009.

Sincerely,

Manager's signature

Manager Name

Manager's Title

Manger's contact number

Manager's Department

My financee has crossed 5-10x at the Ambassador bridge since we've been engaged and has had no issues. She has had next to zero proof of ties to Canada as well. (Just finished school, no job, lives with parents, etc.). A few times she was asked what point she was at in the K1 process but they never asked to see any proof.

Timeline

Bring what you have and answer truthfully. I have crossed 5 times in the last month and have never had to show them any paperwork... and I have no ties to Canada (I even brought my cat for a visit last time). Just be confident in the fact that you are doing nothing wrong and answer their questions with simple answers and never lie. Having the Visa on the go shows good intentions, so it's on your side.

Good luck and don't worry!

T

See profile for our K-1 Visa/AOS story from 2010-2011Apparently we love USCIS/NVC so much we left and are doing it again! This time giving IR-1 a whirl. Rock on immigrators.

07/09/2014 sent in IR-1 packet to Chicago Lockbox

07/16/2014 NOA1

07/17/2014 check cashed by USCIS

10/01/2014 found out we are expecting baby #2 June 2015!

12/15/2014 NOA2

12/30/2014 Case received by NVC

03/23/2015 Received Case and Inv # from NVC after many calls and bogus excuses.

03/24/2015 AOS payment accepted by NVC

04/09/2015 IV payment finally accepted by NVC after the set the wrong fee and took weeks to correct it.

*many more delays thanks to the agency processing my fingers prints to the RCMP and the post office losing our mail*

05/20/2015 Packet sent to NVC via UPS, eta May 28.

06/16/2015 Baby #2 due - homebirth in Scottsdale, AZ

Timeline

Pretty much boils down to the POE officer! 1 can have all the evidence in the world, and they can stil deny u! I traveled monthly to DC and never had one problem! Just be honest, dont lie and keep ur answers short!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello. I have questions for Canadians who visited their fiancee in the U.S. I dont have the NOA or P3 or any immigration forms yet. I filed for a I-129F form and my fiancee recieved the reciept which I have the number of. So can I visit him? What should I bring with me, other then usual documents to proof im coming back to Canada? Should I go to the us customs here in montreal at the airport and ask them advice? and if they say try it why not then do the ticket there? what do u advice me? thanks. and good luck to everyone and have a wonderful time with ur loved ones when u see them for a bit or forever :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you for the advice everyone! I crossed the border July 1st and the border guy was in the worst mood..he made me go to another officer who was really nice and all was good ;). I just stated I was visiting a friend (still waiting on Noa2)and then he asked me who paid for my plane ticket I said I did, and then said "oh no my freind did"...cause usually I do pay for my ticket! anyhow...my next visit is in September...and im flying to Vegas for a friends wedding and my fiancee will be meeting me there...then we are flying to Denver (he paid for my 1 way las-den)and from Denver im flying back home on my American Airlines points...so im a little nervous....again lol

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.