The_Sage1

A big communication barrier

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife and I in the US cannot find any reasonably affordable way to talk to her family back in the Philippines. It seems everything is a rip off. I'm not willing to spend a bunch of money just to chat on the phone especially since we already have phone bills anyway. My localphone account, which acts like a calling card is 12 cents a minute, which is way too much. My original communication plan fell flat on the ground. I bought her family a netbook and set up their skype account for 3 dollars a month unlimited calling to the US and payed for them to have internet and phone. I found out later they stopped paying their internet bill so their service was cut off, so there's no use in trying that now. How can we call their cell phones and not get charged a fortune?

$0.12/minute is best I have found that works all the time to a cell phone.

Internet really is the only cheap way to go. If they are going to spend the money

you send on internet for something else then I would just tag it as their loss.

Only other option would be if the internet provider will take a years payment in advance

and then you pay directly. I paid my inlaws cable bill for a whole year. What a bargain.

$70.00 to install and provide service for the year.

April 24, 2010: Married in Butuan City
May 23, 2010: Submitted I-130
May 28, 2010: NOA-1 Received
October 19, 2010: NOA-2 Received
October 26, 2010: Case Number Assigned
October 28, 2010: IIN Received
November 3, 2010: AOS paid
November 5, 2010: AOS status "PAID". Sent AOS packet
November 6, 2010: DS-3032 email received. Emailed DS-3032
November 8, 2010: IV paid, DS-3032 accepted
November 10, 2010: IV status "PAID". Sent IV packet
November 15, 2010: IV received at NVC
November 22, 2010: False Checklist for missing DS-230
November 29, 2010: AOS + IV entered into system
December 4, 2010: SIF, Case Completed
December 6, 2010: Interview Scheduled
December 27-28, 2010: Passed Physical
January 6, 2011: Interview @ 0830 Approved
January 14, 2011: Visa received
January 31, 2011: CFO seminar completed
February 11, 2011: POE- LAX

Removal of Conditions
January 8, 2013: Mailed I-751
January 10,2013: NOA1
February 6, 2013: Biometrics Appoint.

June 4, 2013: Received I-797 NOA removal of conditions

Filed: Country:
Timeline

My wife and I in the US cannot find any reasonably affordable way to talk to her family back in the Philippines. It seems everything is a rip off. I'm not willing to spend a bunch of money just to chat on the phone especially since we already have phone bills anyway. My localphone account, which acts like a calling card is 12 cents a minute, which is way too much. My original communication plan fell flat on the ground. I bought her family a netbook and set up their skype account for 3 dollars a month unlimited calling to the US and payed for them to have internet and phone. I found out later they stopped paying their internet bill so their service was cut off, so there's no use in trying that now. How can we call their cell phones and not get charged a fortune?

Are there internet cafes where she lives? My wife has internet in her house, so we just do skype to skype calls, which are entirely free, but sometimes she goes to an internet cafe, which costs like 80 cents a minute, to call me skype to skype. Maybe that is not an option there.

If they are not responsible enough to pay the internet bill every month (what P995) then it's thier own fault if they can't talk to ya'll

alternative method is to get a globe internet account and pay it yourself online wired or wireless PhP995 per month and you can do automatic credit card payments online :unsure:

2007-08-21Met through dating site

2007-10-12Hubby's first visit/met me and picked him up in Davao International Airport

2007-10-17Officially engaged to my one and only love hubby & formally proposed in front of my family

2007-10-22Flew back to the US

2008-02-022nd visit of my hubby and picked him up at Cebu International Airport

2008-02-04Went into the US embassy Cebu to get his certificate of legal capacity

2008-02-05Flew back together into Davao City and drove to Tagum City

2008-02-27Our awaited precious moment the WEDDING DAY!!!!

2008-03-04Hubby Flew back to the US

2009-05-013rd visit of my hubby and picked him up at Hong Kong International Airport

2009-05-02We went to Hong Kong disneyland (pretty amazing)

2009-05-03Flew back together into Manila and got his balikbayan visa to stay here with me for one year

2009-12-24First time we celebrate together the Christmas Eve (very much awesome!)

2009-12-31First time we celebrate together the New Years Eve (very much happy)

2010-01-07We celebrate together on his Birthday!

2010-01-15Celebrate together on his cutie wifey Birthday!

2010-01-25Sent I-130

2010-01-27Manila consulate received

2010-03-31I-130 approved(66 days)

2010-04-15NOA2 received

2010-04-22Packet 3 received(YaY)

2010-04-24DS230I & DS2001 Sent

2010-04-26Manila consulate received

2010-05-06Packet 4 received(Yepeyy)

2010-05-26-MEDICAL 7:00am(Passed)

2010-06-17-INTERVIEW 7:00 AM VISA APPROVED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you Lord !!!

2010-06-19 Recieved passport with visa via Air21 so fastttttt !!

2010-07-16 POE Detroit

2010-07-26 Recieved SS card

I havnt tried it yet but give these a try.

--http://evaphone.com/

--http://www.tel3advantage.com/content/triple.jsp?countryid=203&agentnumber=828781&campaignid=12427&campaignpageno=163&

--http://www.nobelcom.com/phone-cards/calling-Philippines-from-United-States-1-227.html&nm=4&nh=1&clkt=160&jca=1954? ef_id=1211:3:c_b6f5cb431760548e8ab3d4ecec93bd43_2877201241:TDptEwqoEEQAAFyClB4AAMO6:20100712011707

Timeline

I just spoke to a user here about Magic Jack and he explained to me how it works. It's an excellent deal but I can't force my wife's family to pay their internet bill to use it. The globe internet account is a wonderful idea though. If I can pay it myself, then I can hook them up with Magic Jack.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I use Skype on a yearly subscription with phone number. About $72/year. I purchase credits in $10 chunks to call China which is about 2 cents/min. I'll call China for 30-40 minutes at a time, can't even feel it. To save my cell minutes I use Skype a lot for daytime domestic calls. If you go with Skype yearly subscription, be forewarned, they will automatically renew your subscription and email you a notice to this effect. You can cancel at any time, but it will not go into effect until after your current subscription expires. Anyone else have a cheaper plan? I'm always game for saving money! But I don't want to sacrifice voice quality as my Skype is pretty decent.

Oh yes, I also do video chat with voice too. That's free. Most, if not all laptops/desktops sold these days have the camera and mic already built in. If you can set it up on both sides you'll have unlimited voice/video chat at no cost--assuming the equipment is already in place. And you can still type to your hearts content if you like.

UPDATE: I now see Skype is pretty expensive for the Philippines. Don't know why. Sorry. I'll leave the post here though as the info may be helpful to someone else.

Note:  I am the U.S. citizen sponsor.  All info below applies to my immigrant wife.

______________________________________________________________________________________

I-130 (CR1)

April 13, 2011: Married in China.
February 2, 2012: Interview 09:30 a.m. APPROVED!!!
March 2, 2012: POE JFK
March 17, 2012: Received SSN card.
April 5, 2012: 2-yr Green Card in hand

I-751 (ROC)

December 15, 2013: I-751 mailed to USCIS

June 9, 2014: ROC Approved per I-797C received 6-13-2014

June 17, 2014: New 10-yr Green Card in hand!

N-400
March 29, 2017:  N-400 mailed to USCIS
March 31, 2017: N-400 Received by USCIS per I-797C
April 27, 2017:  Biometrics completed
September 23, 2017:  Received I-797C for interview!

October 24, 2017:  Interview, passed all tests but "decision cannot yet be made"

October 30, 2017:  Received email that Oath ceremony has been scheduled, letter to follow with date and other info. 

USCIS case status updated w/same message as email.

November 2, 2017:  Oath ceremony letter received scheduled for Nov. 7, 2017.

November 7, 2017:  Oath Ceremony, Certificate of U.S. Naturalization in hand!!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi

Using MagicJack,she can call you from everywhere.

She just need to go with the device to a place with internet like a cyber,a friend home, any job.

Is the best way to get in touch. You just need the device ( this is an small devive ) plus an headphone with microphone.

It should work for you both to keep in touch and talk about everything you want it.

Timeline

There is a big money saving loop-hole to skype though. You can set up the person in the Philippines' account on skype to be a US account and then put your card information in for $3.00/month unlimited US/Canada plan and the person in the Philippines can call any landline/cell phone in the US for nothing but the 3 dollars a month that you pay. The downside is that you still don't have the benefit of calling them, unless they are on skype that is.

I checked Globe's website and they have a 1 megabyte per second plan for 995 pesos a month. Is this sufficient in speed?

Hi, i am sorry, i misunderstood you, thats why i told you my las reply.

there are many kinds of calling cards, that are really cheap and based on the country you can find some useful card. that combined with a flat phone plan you can save a lot of money.

you can budget how much money you are allowed or willing to pay because normally those calling cards advice about how much money and time is still available in the card and you can calculate how log it last. so it is easy for you to follow a budget and fix limits to that expenses.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I am not sure if VonageWorld includes where they live. But, I use it, it's $25 a month you can get on your cell or landline. If you get it on your cell, it has to be a iphone or blackberry.

J1 Waiver: April 24, 2009 -- October 1, 2009
K1: October 6, 2009 -- April 29, 2010
AP: April 29, 2010 -- July 28, 2010
Visa: August 03, 2010
POE: August 19, 2010
AOS: September 13, 2010 -- November 10, 2010
Received GreenCard: November 17, 2010

ROC: Mailed packet: 8/10/2012
NOA1: 8/14/2012
Check Cashed: 8/16/2012
Biometrics Appt: 9/10/2012
RFE: 4/08/2013. Request to RFE sent: 4/19/2013
GC Approval Letter Received: 5/03/2013
GC Received: 00/00/00

event.png

Filed: Country:
Timeline

I am not sure if VonageWorld includes where they live. But, I use it, it's $25 a month you can get on your cell or landline. If you get it on your cell, it has to be a iphone or blackberry.

No it doesn't include the Philippines.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife has been using Yahoo Msgr to talk to her family and friend via a web cam and rarely if ever uses the phone. If her family has trouble paying the internet bill, I'd recommend setting up an account in your wife's name and pay the service yourself. You'll save a ton of money in the long run. Be sure to get them decent internet service with a high enough speed for video conferencing. According to my wife, the cost could be $20 to $40 a month, which is way more affordable than calling them directly, even using phone cards.

http://www.pinoytawagunlimited.com has unlimited calling to PH for $40 a month. I've been thinking about changing to this for a while. Right now I just use my normal phone service which is 16 cents a min and too much.

K1 timeline :

1/11/10 - I-129F sent to California Service Center

1/19/10 - NOA1

2/18/10 - moved and changed address on USCIS site

2/19/10 - touched

3/10/10 - touched

3/10/10 - NOA2, hardcopy recieved 3/12

3/16/10 - Left NVC, recieved MNL case #

3/22/10 - USEM recieved

4/19/10 - Passed Medical

4/28/10 - Interview - Approved

4/30/10 - Picked up Visa and completed CFO

5/5/10 - POE - Honolulu, Hawaii

5/6/10 - married in Hawaii

AOS timeline:

7/8/10 - received SSN Card

7/16/10 - reported US marriage for RP records

10/18/10 - AOS delivered in Chicago

10/25/10 - NOA1

11/04/10 - Biometrics Letter Received

11/23/10 - Biometrics Completed

11/24/10 - touched

11/26/10 - touched

02/14/11 - AOS approved at Interview, GC ordered

02/22/11 - GC arrives in mail

ROC Timeline:

12/17/12 - I-751 sent to California Service Center

12/20/12 - NOA1 arrives in mail

1/14/13 - Biometrics appointment

4/11/13 - RC Approved at Interview

4/22/13 - 10 Year Green Card arrived in mail

event.png

Always Thankful for God's blessings on our lives..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.