Lovebirds2009

what interest me the most...

26 posts in this topic

...is the question WHY MOST OF YOU ARE SCARRED of your spouse give a wrong answer during the interview on such a lame question like-what's your wife's fav color,what's your husband's fav food,what your/his/her family think of you etc,when none of the answers are written anywhere for embassy people to know the exact answer...YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN?

Let's say they ask my husb.what's my fav color...he can say red,he can say pink,he can say whatever he wants...how would they know which one is right one unless they ask me???? I understand if both of you have interview ,then there's way to find out and of course you have to be right..but if only one has interview(which is most of the time) there's no way to know what is the answer except what your spouse answers in that moment.So I think there's no need to be so affraid...they do not read minds :)

I still wanna hear your input on this...because maybe I should be scarred...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

They are looking for people to tell lies and not know much about their partner. Every question they ask is important so that is why my husband and I practice interview questions such as what is my favorite food and favorite color, etc. He even knows my favorite movie and actor in case they ask that. Really they can ask him anything they want and he'd better have an answer.

Reading other people's interview experiences is very important. One lady got denied because one of the questions they asked her was what city her husband lived in. She didn't know the answer. She didn't know the answer to a couple of simple questions they asked her and now she is paying the price. I would rather over-prepare my husband for his interview then take any chances. My husband even knows how much I pay for rent each month.

It's up to each couple to decide how to prepare for their interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Even if you do not have an interview at the same time, they might ask the USC the same questions later (especially in a borderline case), or know stuff about them that you don;t know they know, such as from interviewing friends and family or looking online for info.

That being said, I think in a lot of those questions, they either have made up their mind to deny already and are looking for an excuse, or they are looking not so much for the verbal answer, but for how the beneficiary reacts- do they need to think about the question, are they hesitant, do they look away etc.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

*** not interviewing for a K-3 visa - moving to US Embassy forum ***

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

they can ask the same question several times in different words looking to trip up the applicant... the truth is consistent.. lies vary...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

They are looking for people to tell lies and not know much about their partner. Every question they ask is important so that is why my husband and I practice interview questions such as what is my favorite food and favorite color, etc. He even knows my favorite movie and actor in case they ask that. Really they can ask him anything they want and he'd better have an answer.

Reading other people's interview experiences is very important. One lady got denied because one of the questions they asked her was what city her husband lived in. She didn't know the answer. She didn't know the answer to a couple of simple questions they asked her and now she is paying the price. I would rather over-prepare my husband for his interview then take any chances. My husband even knows how much I pay for rent each month.

It's up to each couple to decide how to prepare for their interview.

well ok,of course they know everything but maybe there are things we don't share to husbands or wifes because they're not important so this is kinda bad someone's is denied just because you haven't told your spause,not because he/she doesn't know...you know what i mean.I may never tell my husband what my fav color is..or how much money i make,just because i decided to like that,but then it's not his fault he doesn't know the answer.this was example only but also my point.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

...is the question WHY MOST OF YOU ARE SCARRED of your spouse give a wrong answer during the interview on such a lame question like-what's your wife's fav color,what's your husband's fav food,what your/his/her family think of you etc,when none of the answers are written anywhere for embassy people to know the exact answer...YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN?

Let's say they ask my husb.what's my fav color...he can say red,he can say pink,he can say whatever he wants...how would they know which one is right one unless they ask me???? I understand if both of you have interview ,then there's way to find out and of course you have to be right..but if only one has interview(which is most of the time) there's no way to know what is the answer except what your spouse answers in that moment.So I think there's no need to be so affraid...they do not read minds :)

I still wanna hear your input on this...because maybe I should be scarred...

Yeah, at the consulate stage you can probably get away with this approach for some trivial questions, but you better be darned sure they don't actually know the answer. For example, if they ask "Where did your husband go to High School?", do you think they know the answer to this question? After all, it's not on any of the forms he had to submit for the petition or visa application. In reality, a simple background check would probably reveal this, and a whole lot more about your husband. Even if they don't know, and you make up the name of a High School just to provide an answer, a quick Google search will determine if there really is a high school with that name in the town where he was living.

Ever heard of a Stokes interrogation? This is when they interview both petitioner and beneficiary separately and then compare answers. USCIS uses this technique for some adjustment of status cases, but some consulates also use it for visa interviews (yes, they actually demand the petitioner to come to the interview). If you happen to be subjected to a Stokes interrogation then you had better be able to match the overwhelming majority of your answers with your husband.

Even if there is no chance they'll know the answer to a question, and you aren't involved in a Stokes interrogation, you can answer a question much more confidently if you actually KNOW the answer than if you hesitate while making up an answer.

My personal opinion is that any answer is better than "I don't know". If you honestly don't know the answer, then give a related answer to show you at least have some knowledge of the subject. Don't know where he went to High School? Then say something like "I don't know the name of the school, but it was in Kalamazoo, and he studied biology there, which is why he wants to be a doctor."

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Even if you do not have an interview at the same time, they might ask the USC the same questions later (especially in a borderline case), or know stuff about them that you don;t know they know, such as from interviewing friends and family or looking online for info.

That being said, I think in a lot of those questions, they either have made up their mind to deny already and are looking for an excuse, or they are looking not so much for the verbal answer, but for how the beneficiary reacts- do they need to think about the question, are they hesitant, do they look away etc.

well i told my hubby the otjer day that i wish they look on interenet because if they do they'll see how much we love each other :) We are just all over the place with notes,pics,comments,name it...it would make us happy because i wouldn't have to look on how to prove that we are for real by printing calls and etc...I mean i know if i go just for a job inteview i am nervous and not myself,and not to mention someone who goes to get visa to finally be with loved one...it's like life and death situation...imagine someone deny you to be with your soulmate...it's nervwrecking...Anyway,thanx for the answers.Cannot wait to reunite with my love and put everything at ease and finally know we don't have to part any more.

Yeah, at the consulate stage you can probably get away with this approach for some trivial questions, but you better be darned sure they don't actually know the answer. For example, if they ask "Where did your husband go to High School?", do you think they know the answer to this question? After all, it's not on any of the forms he had to submit for the petition or visa application. In reality, a simple background check would probably reveal this, and a whole lot more about your husband. Even if they don't know, and you make up the name of a High School just to provide an answer, a quick Google search will determine if there really is a high school with that name in the town where he was living.

Ever heard of a Stokes interrogation? This is when they interview both petitioner and beneficiary separately and then compare answers. USCIS uses this technique for some adjustment of status cases, but some consulates also use it for visa interviews (yes, they actually demand the petitioner to come to the interview). If you happen to be subjected to a Stokes interrogation then you had better be able to match the overwhelming majority of your answers with your husband.

Even if there is no chance they'll know the answer to a question, and you aren't involved in a Stokes interrogation, you can answer a question much more confidently if you actually KNOW the answer than if you hesitate while making up an answer.

My personal opinion is that any answer is better than "I don't know". If you honestly don't know the answer, then give a related answer to show you at least have some knowledge of the subject. Don't know where he went to High School? Then say something like "I don't know the name of the school, but it was in Kalamazoo, and he studied biology there, which is why he wants to be a doctor."

of course questions like that..but I am strictly talking questions like FAVORITE this,FAVORITE that...questions that my parents after yrs and yrs of marrieage don't know about each other,hehe...All other ones are of course expected to be asked or answered..of course they are to be found in toyr documents.But my favorite color-not.In fact,I personally changed three colors to be my favs within last 2 yrs...so,that's why this is the type of questions I was asking...something that is not documented,that maybe isn't so important or so...But yes I get it what you'll saying :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

of course questions like that..but I am strictly talking questions like FAVORITE this,FAVORITE that...questions that my parents after yrs and yrs of marrieage don't know about each other,hehe...All other ones are of course expected to be asked or answered..of course they are to be found in toyr documents.But my favorite color-not.In fact,I personally changed three colors to be my favs within last 2 yrs...so,that's why this is the type of questions I was asking...something that is not documented,that maybe isn't so important or so...But yes I get it what you'll saying :)

If you end up in a Stokes interview then they WILL ask questions like "what is your favorite food" and "what is your favorite song". They'll ask both of you, in separate rooms by different interviewers at the same time. Then they'll swap interviewers and do it again. The whole process can take hours. Then the two interviewers get together and compare how well you both did. You won't find out how your husband answered the questions, nor will he find out how you answered the questions until it's all over.

They will also know things about the petitioner that is not contained in the any of the documents that were submitted. In addition to the US government databases, the consulates have access to the Lexis Nexis database. They can find out everywhere the petitioner has lived, everywhere they've worked, what kind of car they drive, who they buy insurance from, and a whole lot more.

In any case, questions like "What is his favorite color?" are generally not deal breakers for an visa interview. However, not knowing his bosses name might be, and it's possible they may know the answer to that question.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Honestly,I have no clue what was my husband's boss's name :)) Neither he knows mine,even though I mentioned him recently in our conversation...but this is something that neither him nor I am interested to know,hahaha..But I guess we may as well be now that you mentioned ;) Or maybe not,because while together,we didn't have bosses,those are from before we've met :)

I am being silly a little...but I guess sometimes it's worse when you look up here stories of other people because it makes you even more stressed out...that's why I should stick to someone's advice-EVERYONE'S CASE IS INDIVIDUAL,SO WAIT FOR YOUR TURN AND SEE HOW IT GOES...Thanx all for answers and for those who are still waiting like me-hopefully we'll be soon with our husbands and wives..living normal everyday life without skypes,yahoos and msns...GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
I am being silly a little...
Those of us who HAVE been through Stokes interrogations know exactly what Jim is talking about, and things can be even worse. Somber advice: The immigration process is dead serious, and it's hoped that those who take it lightly will not regret their cavalier attitude later.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

If I can piggy back on this post...

I am driving myself mad with the K1 process. I am normally not a nervous person at all--Scandinavian descent, cold-blooded and cool-headed. Nevertheless I'm so nerve-wracked as to get sick. My biggest doubt is the interview. You see, my fiancée applied for a tourist visa last year. I know this is a whole different ball game, but stick with me for a moment.

CO: Why do you want to go to the US?

(L) : To visit my boyfriend's family, here is the letter they sent me to invite me.

CO: Is he your "novio" [This is a low-down dirty trap. No matter what she answered, the CO could have run her in circles. "Novio" is ambiguous and can be translated as bf/gf or fiance.]

(L) : *stutters*

CO: Visa denied. NEXT!

Anyone who knew how shy, tender, pacient, and easily confused my fiance is would want to smack the CO or worse. Perhaps she never would have gotten the visa, but the handling of the situation left her, and me, upset, defrauded, and scarred.

My basic point is this. My fiancée and I have known each other for more than 2 years (and we're anxious to get married now). We could probably hit the ball out of the park on a Stokes interview (is that what it was called). But my fiancée is not a good interviewer, or communicator. Perhaps you know someone like this, her mind isn't like a cataloging system, things move around freely there, leading her to frequently confuse facts that she definitely knows. Sometimes this drives me crazy, but I wouldn't trade her for anyone in the world! After all this time, I would venture to say that we know each other better than most engaged couples.

Nevertheless there is the possibility that we get a CO who had a hair in his/her Frosted Flakes in the morning and is in a bad mood, looking for an excuse, setting traps, or trying to trip someone up in their words. Honestly, a 5th grader could probably get my fiancee tongue tied if he wanted to. Can anyone good me good advice for the interview? After $1k+ and six months of this, I don't want to have to continue with waivers, fees, and lawyers because we happen to get interviewed by an ingrate CO in a bad mood. :'(

Edited by Nibake

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
well ok,of course they know everything but maybe there are things we don't share to husbands or wifes because they're not important so this is kinda bad someone's is denied just because you haven't told your spause,not because he/she doesn't know...you know what i mean.I may never tell my husband what my fav color is..or how much money i make,just because i decided to like that,but then it's not his fault he doesn't know the answer.this was example only but also my point.

Hmmmm. While I can understand your point that they are not likely to know every single detail about us, as much as we think they might, it seems to me that this is a rather immature line of thinking. A simple question of "how was your day, or what did you do today," should bring up the answers to a lot of these simple questions. Why would you NOT tell your husband these simple things if you know it is something that might come up. Five minutes a day of trading small amounts of knowledge back and forth stops this problem, and lets you both get to know things about each other.

"You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the person you can't live without."

Mailed K-1 on 2-6-10

USCIS received packet on 2-8-10

NOA 1: Received 2-16-10

NOA 2: Approved 4-29-10 (72 Days)

NVC Forwarded Petition to London- 5-6-10

NVC Letter Received: 5-7-1010

London Received Packet: 5-14-10

London Mailed Packet to Rob: 5-18-10

Packet 3 Received by Rob: 5-22-2010

Packet 3 paperwork mailed to Rob 6-12-10

Medical- July 8, 2010

Everything mailed to Embassy 7-19-10

Interview Date: 9-14-10- Approved pending non-machine washed replacement passport.

Entry to US- 10-6-10 POE- Newark

Wedding- 10-23-10

AOS

Mailed AOS paperwork to the Chicago lockbox 1-7-11

Delivery Notification 1-10-11

Text stating application was received 1-20-11

Check Cashed 1-21-11

NOA 1 received 1-22-11

Biometrics letter received 1-29--11

Biometrics appointment 2-24-11

Received notice- I-485 has been transferred to the California Service Center 2-9-11.

3-11-11 - EAD production ordered

3-19-11- EAD Received

3-31-2011- AOS approved without interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.