The_Dude

Widespread Support For Banning Full Islamic Veil in Western Europe

24 posts in this topic

I think a specific banning sends a different message than disallowing an exemption. It seems to me that the proposed banning is due to a growing desire to encourage European Muslims to assimilate and discourage future immigration from Muslim countries.

That is one spin on it, to be sure. However, when one understands that there is no religious requirement to wear a full veil as a Muslim, then questions should be raised as to why an exemption should be made for people to wander around with their heads completely covered in public places. It's not as if there is a hoarde of Darth Vader wannabes trying to wear masks in public places for us to be sure that this would not be an issue, which to be honest, I suspect it would be.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

That is not to say that from the 'public's' perspective there isn't an element of nationalism present in the desire to have these things banned when people are asked about it in a poll. I am quite sure there is but that does not mean that a government that seeks to ban something that completely covers the face is a bad thing per se and 'religious' reasons have no weight in a secular government.

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I think the European countires who are doing it should at least be honest about their intentions. I think this poll reveals the undercurrent of resentment that people have regarding immigrants who refuse to become a part of, or assimilate in any way to the society in which they are immigrating to.

I think the European countires who are doing it should at least be honest about their intentions. I think this poll reveals the undercurrent of resentment that people have regarding immigrants who refuse to become a part of, or assimilate in any way to the society in which they are immigrating to.

The poll reveals very little really - I suspect that some are motivated by nationalism but I doubt everyone is but what it does not tell us at all is the motivation of whichever governments are implementing such laws - so I am not sure how one can be sure that they are not being honest about their intentions - perhaps they are?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Well, if they get to wear a veil, I should be able to wear my pants with my balls hanging out. That is after all, my new religious belief gangster look.

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

I can't get excited aboout this, except for the fact that the title is misleading. There is not much "Islamic" about niquab or the burqa. They are cultural affectations and not required by Islam. A lot of knowledgable Muslims consider them to be extreme, and Islam calls for moderation. A lot of the Muslim women, however, are caught between a rock and a hard place when it comes to modernity and culture, for, in most cultures, the behavior of women is considered to be the epitome of local tradition and gender norms.

safety schmafety. guns are used every single day in the u.s. to carry out crimes. the right to bear arms though is guaranteed by the constitution. does this mean every non-criminal gun owner not using their guns to commit crimes should have their guns taken away from them? i certainly don't think so. why should non criminal face veil wearing women be any different? in the state i live in, if i have a concealed carry permit for a gun there's nothing illegal about me carrying a concealed weapon into a bank, provided i'm not using it in furtherance of a crime. a face veil is no more worrisome.

at any given time here, walking down the street with my family, i could be in close proximity to someone carrying a concealed weapon. some of them could be legal, some of them not. i still manage to go about my business in public without living in constant fear of psychokillers with guns surrounding me, and i don't see why random women with a piece of cloth over their faces should be any scarier. but yet there are people crapping their pants at the idea of it,like, OMG these women are just terrifying. it's ridiculous. newsflash, there's already been piece of sh!t criminals dressed up in niqabs and whatever to rob places. but it's such a freaking random, isolated, statistical anomaly that it hardly warrants a public safety threat. yr more likely to be struck by lightning than be a victim of some niqab wearing criminal. do the same people railing about public safety when there are niqabis around pee their pants every time there's a thunderstorm too? because the latter is a whole lot more common...

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Then I guess I would say that the veil should not be treated any differently.

Why do they have to ban the veil specifically if it's a safety issue? If it is purely a safety thing (which it is not) I would think that not exempting it from whatever regulations apply to masking oneself would be sufficient.

No use the "Force" young Paswan. Use the "Force".

It is our religieous belive that the higher beings have given us a higher Midi-Chlorine count in our blood to be able to use the "Force" whether for good or evil.