The_Dude

Widespread Support For Banning Full Islamic Veil in Western Europe

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Widespread Support For Banning Full Islamic Veil in Western Europe

Most Americans Disapprove

12089-1.png12089-2.png12089-3.png

On July 13, members of the lower house of the French parliament are expected to vote on a bill that would make it illegal for Muslim women to wear full veils – those that cover all of the face except the eyes – in public places. A survey by the Pew Research Center’s Global Attitudes Project, conducted April 7 to May 8, finds that the French public overwhelmingly endorses this measure; 82% approve of a ban on Muslim women wearing full veils in public, including schools, hospitals and government offices, while just 17% disapprove. 1

Majorities in Germany (71%), Britain (62%) and Spain (59%) would also support a similar ban in their own countries. In contrast, most Americans would oppose such a measure; 65% say they would disapprove of a ban on Muslim women wearing full veils in public places compared with 28% who say they would approve.

In the four Western European countries surveyed as well as in the U.S., support for a ban on Muslim women wearing a full veil is more pronounced among those who are age 55 and older, although majorities across all age groups in France, Germany and Britain favor a ban. For example, 91% of French respondents age 55 and older approve of restrictions on Muslim women covering their face, compared with 81% of those ages 35 to 54 and 72% of those younger than 35.

In Spain, where 70% in the older group and a narrower majority (55%) of those ages 35 to 54 favor a ban on full veils, younger respondents are closely divided; 49% of those ages 18 to 34 approve of such measures and 47% disapprove. In the U.S., about one-third (35%) of those in the oldest age group say they would welcome a ban on veils that cover the whole face except the eyes, while 28% of those ages 35 to 54 and just 22% of those younger than 35 say the same.

Opinions about banning Muslim women from wearing a full veil do not vary along gender lines in any of the five countries where the question was asked. In France, Britain and the U.S., views on this matter are also similar across education and income groups. However, in Spain and Germany, those in higher income groups are more likely than the less affluent to approve of such a ban; for example, a slim majority (51%) of low-income respondents in Spain favor a ban on full veils, compared with 62% of those in the middle-income range and 68% of those with high incomes.

Ideologically, those on the right in France, Britain and Germany are more likely than those on the left to approve of a ban on women wearing the full Islamic veil in public places, but majorities across the political spectrum in these countries endorse such a ban. In France, 87% of those on the right support prohibiting women from wearing full veils in public, and 75% of those on the political left agree. Spain is the only Western European country surveyed where those on both ends of the ideology scale express nearly identical views; 59% of those on the right and 57% of those on the left approve of a ban on Muslim women wearing veils that cover the whole face. Ideological differences are also insignificant in the U.S.

Source

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was a little shocked at the support against banning the burqa and other face coverings in the U.S.. Maybe freedom of religion does extend beyond christianity and judaism.

Timeline

clearly, we are not Europe.

I'd support a ban on the full head to toe veil.

I think we should take a purely secular stance in this country. No rational reason to base so much on a best selling fiction novel.

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

I believe it's more about safety and identification than whether your religious views should be honored or not unless the people are just really anti-Islamic.

I am not sure what I think about it. I bet many Americans don't approve because they know if governments start making rules against people's religious beliefs, like covering your face except for eyes, what will they outlaw next in relation to religion? I am not meaning harmful acts in a religion.

Edited by chri'stina

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Timeline

We cannot ban it here because of our freedom of religion. If it isn't hurting someone else, and it isn't, then we have no right to ban it.

Just wait until someone dresses up in one and robs a store. Then it is hurting someone, and it is a public safety matter, and we will broach this subject seriously at that point.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

You should have to take it off in circumstances that require it - for safety reasons. But I really can't think of many instances where that would really be an issue.

If I wanted to dress like Darth Vader every day just because I really like Star Wars, should I not be able to?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
:)

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

You should have to take it off in circumstances that require it - for safety reasons. But I really can't think of many instances where that would really be an issue.

If I wanted to dress like Darth Vader every day just because I really like Star Wars, should I not be able to?

I doubt you would be allowed in any banks or public buildings with any kind of costume mask on whether or not such a thing is specifically banned.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Timeline

I doubt you would be allowed in any banks or public buildings with any kind of costume mask on whether or not such a thing is specifically banned.

Then I guess I would say that the veil should not be treated any differently.

Why do they have to ban the veil specifically if it's a safety issue? If it is purely a safety thing (which it is not) I would think that not exempting it from whatever regulations apply to masking oneself would be sufficient.

Then I guess I would say that the veil should not be treated any differently.

Why do they have to ban the veil specifically if it's a safety issue? If it is purely a safety thing (which it is not) I would think that not exempting it from whatever regulations apply to masking oneself would be sufficient.

The difference is that people use their religious faith as the reason that they must flout the rules - thus requiring a specific banning.

Or perhaps more properly put disallowing the exemption even on religious grounds.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Timeline

The difference is that people use their religious faith as the reason that they must flout the rules - thus requiring a specific banning.

Or perhaps more properly put disallowing the exemption even on religious grounds.

I think a specific banning sends a different message than disallowing an exemption. It seems to me that the proposed banning is due to a growing desire to encourage European Muslims to assimilate and discourage future immigration from Muslim countries.

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

I think it's extreme to ban it in all public places. As for security reasons being discussed, of course if a place doesn't allow someone in with their face covered, the rule should be followed. If someone isn't willing to take off a mask to go inside a bank, then they should get someone else to do it for them. If they can't, then I don't know the answer but I don't think someone will take it off simply for that reason if they strongly believe they should wear it.

Edited by chri'stina

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord