JacksonRy

Alternative to SSN to Open Bank Account?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

you not need to work, to be claimed as a 'spouse' on a 'joint return'.

but for the 'stimulus monies' to come in to you two, you BOTH must have a SSN - ie - ITIN holders are exempted in the computations. He'd be filing a 'joint return', amended, with the 1040X - Suggest PAPER RETURNS for the first submission, as there will not be any record of YOUR SSN at the IRS for 'usage' during your first year in the USA.

If you two married in 2009, or earlier, then there's at least 1 year for the 'amended return'. If you two married in 2010, then can file regular return in 2011, as 'married-filing jointly' - assuming yer IN the USA in 2011, with a SSN.

Going forward - hey ! it's a nice weekend homework assignment, yes? Do the forms on paper, to show new status, go back to the 'marriage year' , do some lookups, maths, computation, etc etc - and see if it both reduces his tax liability (it should, really) and what the stimulus money computation looks like. THEN, and only then, if it makes sense to 'do this' - then DO IT :D

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

To provide a bit more information, in case this may change your reply, Darnell:

1) I do not work, have no income, have not filed any taxes.

2) Husband's taxes, since our marriage, have been filed as "single". His taxes were prepared by others, most if not all individuals knew he was married but still filed as such.

I had read and been advised on VJ that my husband's taxes should be amended to "married, filing jointly" and that in doing so, my husband may receive money. My husband believes he owes money and that any money he'd otherwise would be getting would instead be swallowed by the government.

Stimulus money would be fantastic - and of course would go straight to covering the AOS fees. My main goal is for my husband's taxes to be correct as they will be required for AOS; if that means amending, we'll do that. We may lose out on stimulus money but I would be okay with that since a bigger goal is on the horizon.

Just want to jump in with a few points to consider....

A timeline or visa type would be good for you to add to your profile. It's hard to know if you were married in 2009. Did you come on a K visa and get married this year? Are you on K3 and married years ago?

Once your husband married, he can not file single. He can file "married filing separately". If he had a court document showing a legal separation pending a divorce, he might qualifiy to file single. That's not your case I'm sure. So if you want the taxes to be correct, then "Single" in any year in which he was married isn't correct .

You don't have to file taxes and he could file "married filing separately" and leave your name off. Or he could file "married filing jointly" even if you don't work. He should do both ways and see which one comes out in his favor. (Single isn't an option.)

The tax stimulus money was for tax years 2007 and 2008. If you were married to him in either of those years, and didn't file, then you missed out on some money.

Joint tax returns are good evidence for AOS and Removal of Conditions.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there, Nich-Nick!

I apologize for not having a timeline; that will be updated when my AOS package is prepared and sent off. In other threads I have participated in, I have stated a general timeline when relevant. I dropped the ball on this post, though.

I came to the US in 2005. We were married that year and I have lived here since; unfortunately I am an overstay. He was told to file as single all of these years, so he has some amending to do. By your explanation of the tax stimulus money, we did miss out. I certainly don't wish to wallow in the past, but I wish I had found VJ years ago; things would have been so different (for the better!) for my own immigration journey.

The more evidence we have for AOS and ROC, the better!

I believe I have a good grasp of what to do. I do apologize if any of my previous posts were confusing and above all else, I am thankful to everyone who took the time to read and reply with information and advice. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.