JacksonRy

Alternative to SSN to Open Bank Account?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Hello All!

I have looked at around 5000 pages a night it seems and I could have sworn that I read last night that there was a temporary alternative number that one could apply for at the SS office while the new SSN was bring processed. I believe it said something like, 'this does not give you the right to work, it's only for tax purposes' or something like that, but it said that it was a 9 digit number that could be used in place of a SSN for such things as opening a joint checking account with my fiance upon our arrival.

I normally bookmark such information but can't for the life of me find where it was.

I'm starting to think I dreamed it.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks.

Check out the "What if I need a number for other reasons" section at the following link. It discusses procuring an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number from the IRS.

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10096.html

Edited by TLJohnson

Met: 3/4/09

K-1 Visa AOS/EAD/AP
I-129F Sent: 6/22/10 Marriage: 12/17/10
I-129F Signed For: 6/25/10 AOS Packet Sent: 5/4/11
I-129F Received Date: 6/28/10 AOS Packet Signed For: 5/6/11
I-797 NOA1: 7/1/10 NOA: 5/31/11
Check Cleared: 7/7/10 AOS Transfer to CSC: 6/23/11
I-797 NOA1 Hard Copy Received: 7/8/10 EAD Approved: 7/8/11
Touched: 7/8/10 EAD/AP Combo Card Received: 7/16/11
Touched: 7/9/10 AOS Decision: 10/18/11
I-797 NOA2: 7/23/10 AOS Result: APPROVED!
NVC Received: 7/27/10 Card Production Ordered: 10/20/11
I-797 NOA2 Hard Copy Received: 7/30/10
NVC Sent: 8/9/10 (*AP)
CDJ Consulate Received: 8/9/10 ROC (VSC)
Interview Invitation Letter Sent: 9/2/10 I-751 Packet Sent: 7/11/13
Interview Invitation Letter Received: 9/16/10 I-751 Packet Signed For: 7/15/13
Medical Exam: 9/20/10 NOA: 7/15/13
Interview: 9/21/19 Check Cleared: 7/17/13
Interview Result: APPROVED! Biometrics Appointment: 8/14/13
Visa Received: 9/24/10
US Entry: 12/4/10

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Check out the "What if I need a number for other reasons" section at the following link. It discusses procuring an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number from the IRS.

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10096.html

Thank you for saving my sanity! Does anyone happen to know if this TIN can be used to secure a temporary state ID as well or is limited to simply financial issues?

Thanks again!

That is probably very state-specific. I know in Texas with all of the Real ID nonsense you can't even get an ID or driver's license with an actual SSN, so you will have to look up the laws of your state to know for sure.

Met: 3/4/09

K-1 Visa AOS/EAD/AP
I-129F Sent: 6/22/10 Marriage: 12/17/10
I-129F Signed For: 6/25/10 AOS Packet Sent: 5/4/11
I-129F Received Date: 6/28/10 AOS Packet Signed For: 5/6/11
I-797 NOA1: 7/1/10 NOA: 5/31/11
Check Cleared: 7/7/10 AOS Transfer to CSC: 6/23/11
I-797 NOA1 Hard Copy Received: 7/8/10 EAD Approved: 7/8/11
Touched: 7/8/10 EAD/AP Combo Card Received: 7/16/11
Touched: 7/9/10 AOS Decision: 10/18/11
I-797 NOA2: 7/23/10 AOS Result: APPROVED!
NVC Received: 7/27/10 Card Production Ordered: 10/20/11
I-797 NOA2 Hard Copy Received: 7/30/10
NVC Sent: 8/9/10 (*AP)
CDJ Consulate Received: 8/9/10 ROC (VSC)
Interview Invitation Letter Sent: 9/2/10 I-751 Packet Sent: 7/11/13
Interview Invitation Letter Received: 9/16/10 I-751 Packet Signed For: 7/15/13
Medical Exam: 9/20/10 NOA: 7/15/13
Interview: 9/21/19 Check Cleared: 7/17/13
Interview Result: APPROVED! Biometrics Appointment: 8/14/13
Visa Received: 9/24/10
US Entry: 12/4/10

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The Federal law requiring an identification number does not require that it be a social security number.

That is a matter of bank policy but also may depend on the state you are in.

We shopped for a bank that would accept my Wife's Passport number as the identification number, and found one. We had to press the management about it, and marched in there with the Federal Law to show them the tellers didn't know the law when they said it had to be a social security number.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

if you apply as a K1 visa holder before you adjust your status, they will give you a SSN that says "valid for work only with DHS authorization".

I applied for mine 2 weeks after entering the US and at first the front office lady at the SSA office didn't want to give me one because I don't have a work permit yet. then she went to ask her supervisor, and when she came back she said that it was ok anyway, because there is an exception to the work permit rule for fiance(e)s of US citizens, considered as potential immigrants.

all you need is your passport with your visa and your I-94.

as of bank accounts, I don't really know how it works because I haven't opened one yet. for the purpose of getting driver's license, many states require a SSN.

Thank you for saving my sanity! Does anyone happen to know if this TIN can be used to secure a temporary state ID as well or is limited to simply financial issues?

Thanks again!

You should check your local DPS office/website for the requirements to get a state ID. TIN or SSN is not the only thing they need.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The Federal law requiring an identification number does not require that it be a social security number.

That is a matter of bank policy but also may depend on the state you are in.

We shopped for a bank that would accept my Wife's Passport number as the identification number, and found one. We had to press the management about it, and marched in there with the Federal Law to show them the tellers didn't know the law when they said it had to be a social security number.

I was able to be added to my husband's bank accounts without my SSN but using my Ontario Driver's License and my passport at the Bank of America. It is only good for temporary start up purposes, though as the bank is eventually required to have an SSN as they are required to forward certain information to the IRS. I remember receiving a letter from them telling me that I needed to bring in my SSN as they were required to have it by the IRS or they would freeze my access to the accounts until I did provide it- I don't recall all of the details now as it was 6 years ago, but there was no problem getting the account until I was able to get the SSN. I suspect that a Taxpayer Identification Number would also work.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

In MI when I was studying for an MSCS, I was able to open an account using my Canuck SIN--and it also worked temporarily when I opened an account later in GA (which I did have to amend with the change when I got an actual SSN).

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

You don't need an ITIN or SSN to get added to a bank account. Look for the IRS form W6-Ben.

Just wondering about the bolded part...

Did a search for "W6-BEN" on IRS.gov and nothing comes up. Bob 4 Anna, I recall you mentioned a W8-BEN to me back in April for joint bank account purposes. I think the 6 was a typo?

To give my input on the matter:

I was calling local banks/credit unions to see if my husband (USC) could open a bank account and add me. The first bank said they could only add me if I had a SSN. I tried to mention both an ITIN OR W8-BEN and they said "nope, not possible" although not in those exact words.

The second place I called will add me so long as I have both a valid photo ID (passport) and an ITIN. Now, hopefully that was not lip service.

I'll either try calling the first bank again and request to talk to a manager OR go with the second place. I will be needing an ITIN as there are taxes that need amending, so the ITIN will be serving 2 uses.

Banks. :bonk:

Edited by Tick Tock

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Tick Tock - strongly suggest you wait until you have SSN for filing amended returns - as there might be some stimulus monies due to you two. IIRC, no 'stimulus computation' for ITIN, it's disallowed.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Darnell, thanks for the insight. To provide a bit more information, in case this may change your reply, Darnell:

1) I do not work, have no income, have not filed any taxes.

2) Husband's taxes, since our marriage, have been filed as "single". His taxes were prepared by others, most if not all individuals knew he was married but still filed as such.

I had read and been advised on VJ that my husband's taxes should be amended to "married, filing jointly" and that in doing so, my husband may receive money. My husband believes he owes money and that any money he'd otherwise would be getting would instead be swallowed by the government.

Stimulus money would be fantastic - and of course would go straight to covering the AOS fees. My main goal is for my husband's taxes to be correct as they will be required for AOS; if that means amending, we'll do that. We may lose out on stimulus money but I would be okay with that since a bigger goal is on the horizon.

Just hoping to clarify. :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.