star_shine

Work permit question

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Heyy

i have a question...

So my fiance contacted the SSN office ..

to make a long story short he told us we DONT need to apply for a work permit

because i enter the USA with a K1 Visa i can right away apply for my SSN ....

HUH ? so now im a bit tab confused.... because this Hole time i really thought we had to apply for a work permit(375$ouch)

any advice? what did you guys do? :wacko:

As a K-1 Holder, you are entitle of the work permit when adjusting status [AOS]. The Work Permit [AED] and the Advance Parole [AP] can be included in the submission package at no additional fee as long as you do them together. Someone please correct me if wrong..

Two weeks after entering the USA with your K-1 visa, you can visit your local SS office and apply for it. You will get a card with a so call restriction, this allows you to open bank accounts, etc, etc, etc.. After your AOS processed and approved and with GC in hands, you will need to re-visit your SS office to remove the condition and obtain your official/permanent/non-restricted card.

Some local offices [sS] may not have full knowledge of the K-1 process, make sure you are not sent back home.. some of the employees are not so willingly available?

"Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all. Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity. It is right and it is duty." -- NAPF page on Oscar Romero

Wife'sTime Line My link

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Heyy

i have a question...

So my fiance contacted the SSN office ..

to make a long story short he told us we DONT need to apply for a work permit

because i enter the USA with a K1 Visa i can right away apply for my SSN ....

HUH ? so now im a bit tab confused.... because this Hole time i really thought we had to apply for a work permit(375$ouch)

any advice? what did you guys do? :wacko:

First, applying for a SSN before the I-94 expires is highly recommended. If he just recently arrived it will take a few weeks for DHS to get him in the system.

When you apply for AOS it is recommended to apply for the EAD as well, it's included in the AOS fee($1010)as well as the AP document.

You don't have to apply for the EAD, however you don't know how long it will take to get the GC. Sometimes the EAD is approved before the GC. The folks at the SS office sometimes really have no clue :bonk:

01/2006 - Filed k1(1st time)

04/2006 - Interview (1st time) denied

Waited, waited...... no review

06/2009 - Filed k1 (2nd time)

09/2009 - NOA 2 approved

12/2009 - Interview (2nd time) APPROVED! VISA ISSUED

02/2010 - Arrived USA

04/2010 - Married

AOS Timeline

4/19/2010-Sent to Chicago Lockbox

4/26/2010-Received texts and emails 7th day

4/30/2010-Received NOA's(Hardcopies) 11th day

5/3/2010-Received ASC appointment notice(mailed 4/29/2010)14th day

5/7/2010-Walk-in Biometrics done(2 weeks earlier)18th day

5/13/2010-Case transferred to CSC

6/2/2010- Case received/resumed at CSC

6/18,6/22,6/23 AOS touches

6/28/2010- EAD production and touch on AP

6/29/2010-AOS APPROVED

7/2/2010- 2nd update on EAD production and touched on AP....

7/6/2010- Received "Welcome Letter" and AP document

7/12/2010-Received GREEN CARD and EAD

greencard.jpg

First, applying for a SSN before the I-94 expires is highly recommended. If he just recently arrived it will take a few weeks for DHS to get him in the system.

When you apply for AOS it is recommended to apply for the EAD as well, it's included in the AOS fee($1010)as well as the AP document.

You don't have to apply for the EAD, however you don't know how long it will take to get the GC. Sometimes the EAD is approved before the GC. The folks at the SS office sometimes really have no clue :bonk:

Wanted to correct this - the EAD fee is not included in the AOS $1010.00 fee.

The EAD fee is actually waived. With or without the EAD submission, the AOS fee is still $1010.00.

You can apply for the EAD with the AOS, or while you are waiting for the AOS to be adjudicated - doing so will incur no extra cost.

(Same goes for the AP, the fee is waived when filing in conjunction with the AOS)

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.