Chris M

Bank and employment documents after NOA2

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hey all,

So I keep reading on here about getting everything together after receiving the NOA2. I know my NOA2 could be another 2 months or so, but I want to have everything "almost" ready to go. I hate being late for anything, so I am trying to be proactive on getting my letter of employment and banking statements together. I received my NOA1 on May 20, and I know it has not been 2 months yet, but like I said I want to be proactive. It seems like it can be a real pain to get my proof of employment and salary from my company. They outsourced this believe it or not, so it has been a pain (This is another story).

Two... I am going to call my bank today to ask them about getting a letter and statement from them with the date I opened my account, balances and deposits for the past year.

So my question is... is this too early to try and get these documents? I want to have them dated kinda close, but at the same time I don't want to wait because who knows how long this could take.

I imagine I just cannot log on to my bank accounts and print my statements, or can I? Of course I will still need a letter stating when my account was opened, but at least I can just print what I need from the website.

Is there anything else that some of you ran in to that may have been a pain to obtain that I should be getting now?

Your thoughts are always helpful and appreciated. Thanks.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hey all,

So I keep reading on here about getting everything together after receiving the NOA2. I know my NOA2 could be another 2 months or so, but I want to have everything "almost" ready to go. I hate being late for anything, so I am trying to be proactive on getting my letter of employment and banking statements together. I received my NOA1 on May 20, and I know it has not been 2 months yet, but like I said I want to be proactive. It seems like it can be a real pain to get my proof of employment and salary from my company. They outsourced this believe it or not, so it has been a pain (This is another story).

Two... I am going to call my bank today to ask them about getting a letter and statement from them with the date I opened my account, balances and deposits for the past year.

So my question is... is this too early to try and get these documents? I want to have them dated kinda close, but at the same time I don't want to wait because who knows how long this could take.

I imagine I just cannot log on to my bank accounts and print my statements, or can I? Of course I will still need a letter stating when my account was opened, but at least I can just print what I need from the website.

Is there anything else that some of you ran in to that may have been a pain to obtain that I should be getting now?

No it's not too early but I think you may be overthinking the income requirement.

If you make $1 a year more than the poverty level, then you are good to go. It's that simple.

I sent in a letter from my employer, my most recent three pay summaries sent via email just prior to the actual interview, and three years of free IRX tax transcripts. Nothing more.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Timeline

OK. That sounds good. I'll just work on my company getting me an employment letter, and of course I will wait until we get an interview for the pay stubs.

Also I imagine you meant to say IRS right? I am guessing I could send my last 3 years of IRS tax forms?

So I really do not need to broadcast how much money I have in my accounts either? I would much rather not send my balances 6000 miles away just in case it got "lost" in the mail.

Thanks Phil.

Are you using assets to beef up your income level (to meet the poverty guidelines)?

If you are not, you do not need bank records - your current income info will be sufficient (as suggested above)

I would suggest you get 3 years worth of IRS transcripts -better to be armed with more info than without.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

What I did was simply print out my last 6 pay stubs (we have online paystubs and direct deposit), get the letter from my employer, scanned my W-2, printed out my vacation and compensatory time statements, scanned my 401K earnings and scanned the last six monthly statements my bank sends for both of my accounts,

I think that it should be enough.

If you have any problems, I would get with my HR rep, that should help

good luck

US Citizen as of 4-24-17

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hey all,

It all depends on your situation(s). I CAN log on to my bank account and print statements, it is just that easy. I also contacted the bank ahead of time about a letter (which I prefer) and they said "No problem, draft the letter and bring it in, we will print it and sign it" The same with my employer. So I got all those things just before I left to go to the interview. All of my documents were within 1 week, but that was overkill, no doubt.

You should be fine if they are within 90 days. There is no "expiration" per se, but I wouldn;t push the issue, either. The I-864 rules state that all documentation must be within one year, I would not try that with a consulate. The I-864 rules also state that "more recent documents may be requested"

As Baron suggests, if your income verification exceeds the guidelines, then you should be worrying about where you are going to buy new curtains, paint, towel rods, etc.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

What I did was simply print out my last 6 pay stubs (we have online paystubs and direct deposit), get the letter from my employer, scanned my W-2, printed out my vacation and compensatory time statements, scanned my 401K earnings and scanned the last six monthly statements my bank sends for both of my accounts,

I think that it should be enough.

If you have any problems, I would get with my HR rep, that should help

good luck

An official government document has more weight than all those pieces together. Make your life simple. Request a TAX transcript for the last three years and accompany your interview with the last few payment statements (that works as an employment verification too).

Read this:

Need a Copy of Your Tax Return Information?

Requesting transcripts (individuals):

You have two easy and convenient options for getting copies of your federal tax return information--tax return transcripts and tax account transcripts--by phone or by mail.

Request transcripts by calling 1-800-829-1040, or order by mail using IRS Form 4506T (Request for Transcript of Tax Return). We do not charge a fee for transcripts. Allow two weeks for delivery.

Definitions:

A tax return transcript shows most line items from your tax return (Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ) as it was originally filed, including any accompanying forms and schedules. It does not reflect any changes you, your representative or the IRS made after the return was filed. In many cases, a return transcript will meet the requirements of lending institutions such as those offering mortgages and for applying for student loans.

A tax account transcript shows any later adjustments either you or the IRS made after the tax return was filed. This transcript shows basic data, including marital status, type of return filed, adjusted gross income and taxable income.

Timeline

An official government document has more weight than all those pieces together. Make your life simple. Request a TAX transcript for the last three years and accompany your interview with the last few payment statements (that works as an employment verification too).

Read this:

Need a Copy of Your Tax Return Information?

Requesting transcripts (individuals):

You have two easy and convenient options for getting copies of your federal tax return information--tax return transcripts and tax account transcripts--by phone or by mail.

Request transcripts by calling 1-800-829-1040, or order by mail using IRS Form 4506T (Request for Transcript of Tax Return). We do not charge a fee for transcripts. Allow two weeks for delivery.

Definitions:

A tax return transcript shows most line items from your tax return (Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ) as it was originally filed, including any accompanying forms and schedules. It does not reflect any changes you, your representative or the IRS made after the return was filed. In many cases, a return transcript will meet the requirements of lending institutions such as those offering mortgages and for applying for student loans.

A tax account transcript shows any later adjustments either you or the IRS made after the tax return was filed. This transcript shows basic data, including marital status, type of return filed, adjusted gross income and taxable income.

I did send a copy of my 1040

US Citizen as of 4-24-17

Timeline

It is not the same!

How will the consular officer now for sure that it is the true 1040 you filed?

He doesn't need to. If you use a 1040 you also attach your forms w-2 or 1099 and if self employed, bank statements OR audited P/L sheets. There is NO requirement for a transcript, there is NO preference for a transcript. I used 1040s with all schedules and attachments for both the interview and AOS for three people and interviews for them and there was never once a question about it. I also have assisted many others in the process nearly all of whom have used copies of 1040s with schedules and w-2s

Transcripts are certainly acceptable, and for many people they are a lot less paper to deal with, but they are in no way required or even preferred by the consulates in Kiev or Moscow and USCIS couldn't possibly care less.

They need to reasonably ascertain that your fiancee will not become a public charge. They do not need to verify anything in particular. There are NO particular requirements for the I-134, it is not a legal document, it has no legal bearing and is not an enforceable contract. The usage of the I-864 guidelines for the I-134 is that only...a guide. The consulate is under NO obligation to look at any income documents (though most do) nor are they obligated to grant a visa just because you make more than the guidleines for the I-864. But they usually do. In fact, the tax return is NOT used to qualify you, it is based on current income. You may have been a student with -0- income in 2009 and be granted a visa TODAY with proof of income you have since the beginning of this year. You may have a tax return of -0- and STILL qualify. Until 2007 nearly ALL of my income was non-taxable and did not appear on a tax return, yet I could document income far exceeding any guidelines. Tax returns and transcripts should not be imagined to be some "holy grail", they are not. You DO NOT qualify for this years guidelines with last years income. By the same token, if you made $386,000 LAST year and got laid off last month, you will need a co-sponsor. Transcripts or not.

Transcripts are good, use them if you want. There is NO greater chance of a qualified person getting a visa using transcripts over the same qualified person using tax returns...None. Any such advantage exists only in the imagination of the hot stove league.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

What Gary Said lol

what do they care if its a true 1040 that I filed, they are the Department of State not the IRS, as stated it doesnt matter if you filed or whatever as long as you can show that you make enough income and are above the poverty line

US Citizen as of 4-24-17

Timeline

What Gary Said lol

what do they care if its a true 1040 that I filed, they are the Department of State not the IRS, as stated it doesnt matter if you filed or whatever as long as you can show that you make enough income and are above the poverty line

Fact...

I showed, for the Alla/Pasha interview my 2007 1040 and attachments (not transcripts) proof of income 3 times that claimed on my tax return (I had a lot of non-taxable income in 2007) and bank letter showing deposits of more than double what I claimed on my income tax (I was receiving reimbursements for business expenses which are NOT income but ARE deposited in my bank)Plus any time I took money OUT and then re-deposited it (such as taking out cash for a trip) the SAME money showed and counted as "another" deposit. One could have $500 to their name and NO job...for example, and take it out and re-deposit it 2 times per week. Ask for a bank leter and it will show deposits to your account in the past 12 months as $52,000. WOW!

Documents showing THREE very different numbers. ALL the numbers exceeded the guidelines, not a question asked. I presented the same documents for Alla/Pasha's AOS, same result. No questions asked.

Why would there be? There was no question I was far above the guideline for a family of four and I had a source of income, that is all they care about.

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Timeline

What Gary Said lol

I love when people prefer to make their lives difficult for no apparent reason. If that is your decision, go ahead and make copies of every financial statement possible. Go to every bank and ask for letters. Copy every W-2, 1099, and/or other compensation document. You can even include a copy of the deed to your house and the proper financial declaration statement proving how much equity you have in your house. It is YOUR life, so you do as YOU decide. And don't forget the letter from your employer to prove that you are still working there, no matter that the letter is dated two weeks before your last pay statement.

I, on the other hand, prefer the easy route, reason I used ONLY the last two pay statements (they prove that I worked there at least until the date on the statement) printed directly at home from the Internet, and last three IRS transcripts, which required a simple phone call and they arrived to my mailbox at home one week later.

I applied the same simple logic to ALL other evidence, for both the K-1 interview and AOS (you can search for my posts to see how I was insulted by certain people who know it all here). I did not include any emails, chats, letters, or any other garbage like that (I do not like to kill trees unnecessarily). Instead, I went armed with hard evidence: boarding passes, hotel receipts, etc. And for AOS, just the fact that she's now my dependent on the health insurance, as well as another IRS transcript showing that I was married filing jointly (no other commingling of assets whatsoever).

You have the choice. It is your life, so do as you please. My suggestion was just that: a suggestion ... based on ONE successful experience, with no questions asked.

Timeline

I could not edit, so I will add a post to clarify something:

Please do not take my previous post as a slight. As long as you have your story straight, you should have no problem whatsoever, no matter what route you take with your evidence.

Even if others try to convince you otherwise, in terms of evidence for all these processes, there is NO hard, fast rule about it, You need to think about your particular case and paint the picture with the colors you have available.

For me, it is just a matter of what is simpler, reason my wife is no part of any bill, lease, mortgage, etc in my family. We do just what is absolutely necessary like insurance, will, and other instruments that are required by the way we live our lives together. If it is not required in our daily lives, we just don't do it for the sole purpose to add one document to our immigration evidence. I don't subscribe to the theory that more is better, even if we are just fabricating the evidence.

But everybody's life is different. So you do what you think is better in your life.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.