36 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

I will make an executive call that says that swear words should probably not be thrown around like candy; If they are used as an attack or for "dramatic effect" it will be treated as such by the mods. If it is occasional and innocent then at most I would expect you to get friendly reminders from people to keep things more polite. Upper forums: keep it to a bare minimum out of courtesy.

In Off Topic the occasional use as part of casual conversation in which they are NOT directed at other members (and not used just for *effect*) is probably ok. If it gets out of hand or abused "just because", then I would not expect infinite tolerance by the mods.

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I will make an executive call that says that swear words should probably not be thrown around like candy; If they are used as an attack or for "dramatic effect" it will be treated as such by the mods. If it is occasional and innocent then at most I would expect you to get friendly reminders from people to keep things more polite. Upper forums: keep it to a bare minimum out of courtesy.

In Off Topic the occasional use as part of casual conversation in which they are NOT directed at other members (and not used just for *effect*) is probably ok. If it gets out of hand or abused "just because", then I would not expect infinite tolerance by the mods.

I guess the obvious question is why? I don't see the problem personally - unless as you say it is directed against other members.

Timeline

I am specifically saying that people should not swear just to swear. If the level of swearing is consistent with conversation you might have in public at a restaurant or dinner with new friends then that is probably ok. Common sense rules mainly.

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Filed: Timeline

Common sense also suggests that people shouldn't give out intimate details about their sex lives, or defame racial or other minorities on a cosmopolitan message board, but it goes on here.

You can talk smack about black people all you want, as long as you don't use the n-word. If you don't use the n-word, it's not racism. That appears to be the standard VJ moderators use. Use nice words and it doesn't matter how absolutely despicable your ideas are.

Timeline

We can try our best to keep things organized and fit, but like you said it wont be perfect ever. I would ask that simply foul language be used no more than would be in real life. Personal attacks (language aside) are still something the mods watch for.

You can talk smack about black people all you want, as long as you don't use the n-word. If you don't use the n-word, it's not racism. That appears to be the standard VJ moderators use. Use nice words and it doesn't matter how absolutely despicable your ideas are.

I would hope that given a heads up that the mods and myself can read between the lines if people are being equally as rude or insulting but not using bad language. The report feature is the fastest way to get the mods involved. Please give them a quick and short summary of what a person may be doing that might be hard to notice at first glance. We are human and sometimes need some help :).

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I reported a comment in a thread the other day that compared Mexican children to Mongols from a poster who routinely makes insulting references to blacks and has suggested in the past to want to machine gun border crossers. It wasn't removed, but sentiments like that are surely more offensive than any amount of colourful language.

Filed: Timeline

I reported a comment in a thread the other day that compared Mexican children to Mongols from a poster who routinely makes insulting references to blacks and has suggested in the past to want to machine gun border crossers. It wasn't removed, but sentiments like that are surely more offensive than any amount of colourful language.

Not to mention his thinly veiled supremacist tone when it comes to his posts about the Chinese.

And his admission that he posts on a well known neo-Nazi message board. It's amazing he is allowed to continue on like this.

Timeline

Clearly you both have an issue with a specific member. That is ok and understandable. I would prefer if this is the case (and you feel that the moderation has not been able to help) that you PM me some information with examples of posts, etc.. I will look into it but I am starting cold, help would be appreciated.