7 posts in this topic

Anyone?

Someone just sent me an email stating the following, “Your fiancée will not be able to go to BDO (Banco de Oro) until she has received her confirmation email from the US Embassy of Manila stating that she is exempt of from the ds-160. We have received your Embassy email confirmation, but it said nothing about being exempt from the ds-160. Did anyone’s confirmation state that you were exempt from the DS-160?

Thanks as always, and God Bless,

Maleman

We got our confirmation email last week and there is nothing about the DS-160. We have no plans to fill it out either. she'll be paying next week. Told her to take the embassy letter with directions and the confirmation email along with her whole package and id's etc. We'll see what happens.

Jean:

Thanks for your reply. I spoke with another member yesterday, and they stated that did not have an exempt statement regarding the DS-160 either. It is my understanding that the DS-160 will not even relate to the future K-1 visa cases. Not for certain this is correct, but this tends to be the hearsay. May you be blessed with a speedy and successful interview!

The "Maleman"

The DS-160 does not apply to any K type visas, at least in Manila. The DOS website, under the FAQ's, also states that the DS-160 is not to be used for K type visas. I assume this to be true for all embassies, but who knows. I specifically asked the call center person about the DS-160 when i scheduled Jean's interview and was told that USEM does not accept it for K visas and it is not needed for payment at BDO. Whether that information gets relayed to BDO or not is another question. I'll post something 7/16 when she goes to Cebu to pay.

The DS-160 does not apply to any K type visas, at least in Manila. The DOS website, under the FAQ's, also states that the DS-160 is not to be used for K type visas. I assume this to be true for all embassies, but who knows. I specifically asked the call center person about the DS-160 when i scheduled Jean's interview and was told that USEM does not accept it for K visas and it is not needed for payment at BDO. Whether that information gets relayed to BDO or not is another question. I'll post something 7/16 when she goes to Cebu to pay.

The highlighted is correct. If you read about the DS-160 on the U.S. Embassy Manila web site, you need to simply click on the Frequently Asked Questions link toward the bottom of the DS-160 article. That link takes you to the Department of State (DOS) web site, to the frequently asked questions about the DS-160. Frequently asked question #13 makes it clear that the DS-160 does not apply to K-1 fiancée visas at the Manila Embassy.

Also, the experiences of VJ members here on this forum, as well as on the Philippines forum, point clearly the fact that the DS-160 does not apply to K-1 fiancée visas. There has been only one report to my knowledge where a Filipino bank required a DS-160 for a K-1 visa. I believe it was a BDO which was located way out in the province. Other than that, every report from every resource points to the continued use of the DS-156, the DS-156K, and the DS-157.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bolivia
Timeline

I picked this information straight from the US Dept of State Website which I found in the FAQ Section for DS-160...

http://travel.state.gov/visa/forms/forms_4401.html

13. When I apply for a nonimmigrant visa using the online DS-160, are additional forms required?

No, with two exceptions. When applying at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate that is using the new DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, you will use only one (1) form. For Embassies and Consulates that have converted to this new process, the DS-160 has replaced all of the following forms: DS-156, DS-157, DS-158, and DS-3032, which are no longer necessary.

NOTE: The exceptions are Fiancé(e) Visas (K-1/2) which still require use of the forms DS-156 and DS-156K, and the Treaty Trader/Treaty Investor visa application, which is explained in #14 below.

There are other Visa types which fall into the list of exclusions but for K-1 Visa, forget the DS-160 and stick with the DS-156 and DS-156K.

Edited by Eric & Lizeth

b935d5d962.png

K-1 TIMELINE

Feb 22, 2010 - I-129F sent to Vermont

Mar 03, 2010 - Arrived at CSC

Mar 08, 2010 - NOA-1

Mar 09, 2010 - Touched

May 25, 2010 - NOA2 (Approved in 83 days from NOA1 date)

Jun 17, 2010 - Packet 4

Jun 30, 2010 - Medicals & Vaccinations

Jul 15, 2010 - Interview Date (221g "Pending Approval-Police Certificate)

Sep 15, 2010 - Visa adjudicated, printed, & Mailed via DHL

Sep 17, 2010 - Visa pick-up date

?? - POE USA

?? - Apply for SSN

?? - Marriage

?? - Start AOS process

I picked this information straight from the US Dept of State Website which I found in the FAQ Section for DS-160...

http://travel.state.gov/visa/forms/forms_4401.html

13. When I apply for a nonimmigrant visa using the online DS-160, are additional forms required?

No, with two exceptions. When applying at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate that is using the new DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, you will use only one (1) form. For Embassies and Consulates that have converted to this new process, the DS-160 has replaced all of the following forms: DS-156, DS-157, DS-158, and DS-3032, which are no longer necessary.

NOTE: The exceptions are Fiancé(e) Visas (K-1/2) which still require use of the forms DS-156 and DS-156K, and the Treaty Trader/Treaty Investor visa application, which is explained in #14 below.

There are other Visa types which fall into the list of exclusions but for K-1 Visa, forget the DS-160 and stick with the DS-156 and DS-156K.

^^^ :thumbs::thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.