Patetas

Direct Consular Filing (DCF) Brazil 2010

Usefulness  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Was this information useful to you?

• Yes
    • Yes, but need more information
    • Not really

9 posts in this topic

First I will state that the process for my wife and I in Brazil was relatively easy and painless!

Background info

My wife and I were introduced to each other by some friends who live near me in Houston, TX. Our first conversation occurred on the phone as I was in the US and she was in Brazil. My wife has never been to the United States, so our friendship began just from talking and writing emails. We later decided to become serious and began communicating daily. -- FYI for cheap international calling (ie free to 35 countries) I used broadvoice.com VOIP. -- Anyway so in November of 2008 during a trip to Brazil to see my her, I proposed. This was the beginning of the Process!

Our Process

Once we decided that getting married in the US was not a viable option, it is easier for my friends and family to travel to Brazil than vice-versa, we decided that we would marry in Brazil. We also decided that I would live in Brazil with her so that we could file directly at the Consulate. To do this you need to have 6 months of Residency (legal status in the county) -- Does not have to be Permanent Residency, you just have to prove that you have been there legally the previous 6 months... this includes during the process of obtaining Permanent Residency. So, to do this I took a one year Leave of Absence from my employer.

November 2008 - Engaged!

September 9, 2009- I entered Brazil for wedding (6 month Residency clock starts!)

September 12, 2009 - our wedding date.

September 26, 2009 - started my process for extending my stay via Permanent Residency petition at the Federal Police & obtained my CPF from Receita Federal

October 2009 -March 2010 - Reviewed all of the requirements for applying for Visa on consulate website -->

http://www.embaixada-americana.org.br/index.php?action=materia&id=2413&submenu=rio.php&itemmenu=58

-- Just a note, you can file the petition at any of the consulates, however for the 2nd step in the process they have to forward everything to Rio, then do a background check in the US for the Adam Walsh Child Protection Act. The 2nd step is only done at the Rio offices, so it may be quicker to just file with them.

March 2010 - Sent in petition along with all the required copies of the documents to Rio Consulate.

April 2010 - Received notice from Rio Consulate about 1st interview (This interview determines whether or not the Consulate will accept your petition based upon your relationship & residency)

May 2010- (3 weeks later) - Received letter informing of 2nd (final) interview (with your spouse). In the letter contains the following link

http://www.embaixada-americana.org.br/index.php?action=materia&id=2416&submenu=rio.php&itemmenu=58

-- Note about the instructions... you don't need to send in the DS-2001 form as the letter already has your interview date, also, no need to send in the DS-230 Parts I and II. Take all documents with you the day of the interview along with copies. Make sure you photo has the ears completely show, i.e. no hair on top of them or not earrings... if you have a problem, there is a place on the next block to retake pictures... several had to.

May 2010 - Medical visit in Curitiba - We did everything in one afternoon - Dr Consulation then two labs for blood test and x-rays. -- All in all easier than I expected.

June 30, 2010 - Interview in Rio - Wife was approved! Her interview was less than 10 minutes, probably closer to 5. The girl before her was about 20 minutes. -- side note, the Winsor Astúrias Hotel is only 2 blocks from the consulate, 1 block for the Subway and a nice place to stay - try the executive superior with the jacuzzi tub.

Anyway, like I said, the process for us was painless and fairly easy. Her Passport should be returned sometime next week -- Our process from petition to approval was 4 months.

July 29, 2010 - I return to US to return to work the beginning of August.

August 12, 2010 - Return to Brazil to bring wife to US.

August 16, 2010 - Wife and I leave Brazil and enter US August 17, 2010.

The really nice thing about completing the process this way is that my wife and I did not have to live apart during the process of trying to get her to the US, and her family was able to attend the wedding!

James and Rosicler

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

ok well thats great but i wanted to know if you stayed with your wife for the entire process what did you wrote on the form concerning your occupation cause my husband is not working right now and thats why we have not started the process. So any information about that you can shared plz

Good morning! First let me see congrats to you and your wife! This post is very helpful because I am doing the same exact process. I am American and I just received my permanent residency. In order to do that we had to send original documents to the ministry of justice. Now that my part of the process is over and we can finally start my husbands process, I wanted to know how do you get those documents back? We had to hand in his birth certificate and our marriage certificate both original, the rest of the documents were just copies. I know to start his process we will need those original documents back, so I'm really worried about getting them back. I hope you can help me. Thank you!

love_quotes_comments_01.gif

ok well thats great but i wanted to know if you stayed with your wife for the entire process what did you wrote on the form concerning your occupation cause my husband is not working right now and thats why we have not started the process. So any information about that you can shared plz

I lived in Brazil the whole time... and since I was on a Leave of Absence, I still have a job waiting for me in the US. I even included a copy of a letter I had my Boss and HR send me listing my salary and status.

If the US citizen does not have US Domicile (read definition in this forum or on instruction sheet) and does not have an income above the min required, you will need a co-sponsor in the US for the I-864 form.

Good morning! First let me see congrats to you and your wife! This post is very helpful because I am doing the same exact process. I am American and I just received my permanent residency. In order to do that we had to send original documents to the ministry of justice. Now that my part of the process is over and we can finally start my husbands process, I wanted to know how do you get those documents back? We had to hand in his birth certificate and our marriage certificate both original, the rest of the documents were just copies. I know to start his process we will need those original documents back, so I'm really worried about getting them back. I hope you can help me. Thank you!

You actually did not need to wait until you completed your residency process to start his. You just need to be legally in the country for the last 6 months (this can and usually happens while your process is still being completed). You will probably need to request another certified copy of his Birth Certificate - We had to do that for my wife as the original she had was placed at the Cartório for our marriage. You can get another copy of the Marriage certificate form the Cartório where you were married. I am assuming you were married in Brazil?

You actually did not need to wait until you completed your residency process to start his. You just need to be legally in the country for the last 6 months (this can and usually happens while your process is still being completed). You will probably need to request another certified copy of his Birth Certificate - We had to do that for my wife as the original she had was placed at the Cartório for our marriage. You can get another copy of the Marriage certificate form the Cartório where you were married. I am assuming you were married in Brazil?

Yes we were married in Brazil. Now I see to start the process for my husbands visa they ask for his original birth and our marriage certificate again. Does the US embassy give these documents back to us at the end? Also how long does it take to get another birth certificate and how much did it cost? Thanks so much you are a big help! =)

Yes we were married in Brazil. Now I see to start the process for my husbands visa they ask for his original birth and our marriage certificate again. Does the US embassy give these documents back to us at the end? Also how long does it take to get another birth certificate and how much did it cost? Thanks so much you are a big help! =)

Don't worry they will not keep your Original Birth Certificate or Marriage Certificate. They just need it for verification. They only keep the copy that you need to take of them.

At the end once you are approved (or in this case your spouse) the Consul officer will return your original Birth Certificate and Marriage Certificate, then the US Consulate will mail you back a packet. In this packet you will find your Passport with Immigration Visa and a letter (in Portuguese & English) explaining what to do once you enter the US. Also you will find an envelope that contains all of the original documents filed for the Visa plus copies. DO NOT OPEN will be clearly marked. This is because the only person authorized to open this letter with be the Customs agent at your point of entry.

Hope this helps :)

PS NEVER Mail Original Documents to the Consulate!!! Only copies - The exception is the application - but it would be wise to make a copy before sending for your records.

Don't worry they will not keep your Original Birth Certificate or Marriage Certificate. They just need it for verification. They only keep the copy that you need to take of them.

At the end once you are approved (or in this case your spouse) the Consul officer will return your original Birth Certificate and Marriage Certificate, then the US Consulate will mail you back a packet. In this packet you will find your Passport with Immigration Visa and a letter (in Portuguese & English) explaining what to do once you enter the US. Also you will find an envelope that contains all of the original documents filed for the Visa plus copies. DO NOT OPEN will be clearly marked. This is because the only person authorized to open this letter with be the Customs agent at your point of entry.

Hope this helps :)

PS NEVER Mail Original Documents to the Consulate!!! Only copies - The exception is the application - but it would be wise to make a copy before sending for your records.

I will never again send any original documents, I had no idea I would never get them back! Oh well, live and learn. Now we will go to the cartorio and get another birth certificate for my husband. I'll make sure to get an authenticated copy too. Thanks so much for your help. :) :) I'm so excited to start this process! I miss home so much!

My wife and I recently filed our I-130 in Brasilia. It was accepted and sent to Rio. I am the American citizen and I did not need to show my birth certificate. Mine was taken when I married my Brazilian wife here in Brazil. Also, you do not need to wait until you are a legal resident in Brazil. Since I am staying with my wife, I had literally no proof that I was in Brazil for 6 months. No rent or electric bills, nothing. The consul was nice enough to use my passport as proof that I have been here for at least 6 months.

The first step of dropping of the I-130 was very very easy. I had heard we needed proof of our marriage like photos and phone records. I didn't have to show any of that.

anyway, just some extra info about the DCF process in Brazil.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.