sym32one

This is too fast! now what?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Got a complex scenario...

I filed for my fiancee in April 2010 and Juarez Mexico already received the approval from the NVC, it's only June. She hasn't received the interview letter but it is coming any day now.

My fiancee is bringing her 6 year old daughter with her and is getting custody of her (first of course) which will still take 3 months.

So my question is... the second NOA from the CSC said that the app. was good from June 1 2010 - October 1 2010, is this the 4 month window during which she can interview? What if she can't the custody paper for her daughter by then?

Thanks...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Got a complex scenario...

I filed for my fiancee in April 2010 and Juarez Mexico already received the approval from the NVC, it's only June. She hasn't received the interview letter but it is coming any day now.

My fiancee is bringing her 6 year old daughter with her and is getting custody of her (first of course) which will still take 3 months.

So my question is... the second NOA from the CSC said that the app. was good from June 1 2010 - October 1 2010, is this the 4 month window during which she can interview? What if she can't the custody paper for her daughter by then?

Thanks...

First, congratulations on a quick I-129f approval. The approved 'petition' has a validity of 4 months but that does not mean your fiancee will necessarily have her interview within those 4 months. What often happens is that the next stage of the processing takes a little longer and if the 4 month period date is approaching, the Consulate will re-validate the petition so that it remains in effect until such time as there is an interview date. As well, once the interview takes place and the visa is granted, your fiancee has a full 6 months in which to use the visa so if she needs more time to complete the custody arrangements for her daughter. If you get a quick interview date and you don't have all of the paperwork needed by that date, you can request a later interview date, explaining that you are waiting for the last of the paperwork to take place. It may also happen that she has the interview and they hold off on making a decision until they have all of the paperwork available for her daughter as well.

So, good luck on getting the custody papers approved quickly, but if there is a delay, you do have some options available.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

First, congratulations on a quick I-129f approval. The approved 'petition' has a validity of 4 months but that does not mean your fiancee will necessarily have her interview within those 4 months. What often happens is that the next stage of the processing takes a little longer and if the 4 month period date is approaching, the Consulate will re-validate the petition so that it remains in effect until such time as there is an interview date. As well, once the interview takes place and the visa is granted, your fiancee has a full 6 months in which to use the visa so if she needs more time to complete the custody arrangements for her daughter. If you get a quick interview date and you don't have all of the paperwork needed by that date, you can request a later interview date, explaining that you are waiting for the last of the paperwork to take place. It may also happen that she has the interview and they hold off on making a decision until they have all of the paperwork available for her daughter as well.

So, good luck on getting the custody papers approved quickly, but if there is a delay, you do have some options available.

Thanks alot... its funny, we were worried about getting approved and it got all of the way to Juarez in less than 3 months!

Congratulations on the fast approval of your petition! I can't answer the question about your fiancee's daughter, but I can tell you what to expect next.

It will take Juarez a week or longer to get the letter in the mail. You should get one at your address in the States, and she'll get one also. I would be curious to see how long it takes. We called the consulate the middle of May because we had not received anything from them a month after getting the letter from NVC. I got my letter on May 19, post-marked in El Paso on May 17. She received hers a week later in GDL, postmarked the same. But, the letter was dated April 27. We're not sure what happened during all that time.

At any rate, for the K-1, you will not get a fixed interview date. Your letter will say that you have an open appointment to come any day (except weekends, holidays and the last Friday of the month - administrative day the consulate closes every month), between 8 and 10 in the morning. Go here: http://ciudadjuarez.usconsulate.gov/fianceforms.html and start working your way through the bullet points and forms. If you click the link on the left of that page called Steps to Obtaining a K Visa, you can walk through that stuff, but ignore most of the information in step 5. It's wrong. Really wrong. The only thing of value on that page is the instruction to not open the sealed visa packet.

Good Luck!

Service Center: Vermont Service Center

Consulate: Juarez, Mexico

I-129F Sent: 2010-01-08

I-129F NOA1: 2010-01-11

I-129F NOA2: 2010-03-17

NVC Received: 2010-03-24

Consulate Received: 2010-04-02

Open Appointment Letter Sent: 2010-04-47

Open Appointment Letter Rcvd: 2010-05-21

Medical Exam Date: 2010-06-15

Interview Date: 2010-06-16

Interview Result: Approved

Visa Received: 2010-06-17

POE ATL: 2010-09-05

Married!: 2010-10-30

AOS package received: 2010-11-30

Biometrics: 2011-01-13

AOS transferred to CSC: 2011-01-18

EAD card production ordered: 2011-02-09

AP Approved: 2011-02-09

AP Letter Received: 2011-02-12

Green card production ordered: 2011-02-16

Green Card Received!: 2011-02-22

Congratulations on the fast approval of your petition! I can't answer the question about your fiancee's daughter, but I can tell you what to expect next.

It will take Juarez a week or longer to get the letter in the mail. You should get one at your address in the States, and she'll get one also. I would be curious to see how long it takes. We called the consulate the middle of May because we had not received anything from them a month after getting the letter from NVC. I got my letter on May 19, post-marked in El Paso on May 17. She received hers a week later in GDL, postmarked the same. But, the letter was dated April 27. We're not sure what happened during all that time.

At any rate, for the K-1, you will not get a fixed interview date. Your letter will say that you have an open appointment to come any day (except weekends, holidays and the last Friday of the month - administrative day the consulate closes every month), between 8 and 10 in the morning. Go here: http://ciudadjuarez.usconsulate.gov/fianceforms.html and start working your way through the bullet points and forms. If you click the link on the left of that page called Steps to Obtaining a K Visa, you can walk through that stuff, but ignore most of the information in step 5. It's wrong. Really wrong. The only thing of value on that page is the instruction to not open the sealed visa packet.

Good Luck!

Can I ask... how long was the interview "opened" for? thanks...

We arrived in CDJ Monday afternoon, spent 6:15 to 7:30 at the medical clinic Tuesday morning, got to the consulate at 9:15 Wednesday morning and were walking back to the hotel by noon. We left Thursday with visa in hand.

We arrived in CDJ Monday afternoon, spent 6:15 to 7:30 at the medical clinic Tuesday morning, got to the consulate at 9:15 Wednesday morning and were walking back to the hotel by noon. We left Thursday with visa in hand.

thanks... but how long was the interview opened for? how long did they give you to come to Juarez, was it 1 month, 3 months? did they give you a date range in which you could come and interview?

Thanks...

Sorry, I can't speak to revalidating the appointment letter. I would defer to Kathryn41 here, or others on the board who have experience with that. I can tell you with certainty though that there is nothing on the letter from the consulate that will answer your question. Contact the consulate to find out for sure.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.