dabigbass

DCF in Ottawa, Canada

11 posts in this topic

So my wife (Canadian) and I (US Citizen) filed our I-130 via DCF in Ottawa back in early May. We were told the next step is to hear back from Montreal in 2-3 weeks.

It's been 6 weeks now, and still no word. Is that normal? How long does it usually take to hear back from Montreal?

So my wife (Canadian) and I (US Citizen) filed our I-130 via DCF in Ottawa back in early May. We were told the next step is to hear back from Montreal in 2-3 weeks.

It's been 6 weeks now, and still no word. Is that normal? How long does it usually take to hear back from Montreal?

Hi,

Well you are in the right place....VJ is a GREAT forum! :thumbs:

You are within the typical time frame...when we filed (in March) we were told 4-8 weeks before we would hear from Montreal. Check my time frame in my signature...also...there is a small group who have also filed DCF within Canada...waiting on MTL...

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/245578-anyone-filing-or-filed-within-canada/page__p__3927284__fromsearch__1#entry3927284

The link above also has additional informative links.

WELCOME!!!! and Best of Luck!!!

Amos 9:11

http://live.lifechurch.tv/

DCF USC married to Canadian

March 18, 2010 I-130 Submitted Ottawa (in person)

April 26, 2010 Packet 3 Request Arrives Canada Post, MTL # assigned

April 26, 2010 Overnighted Packet 3 Checklist and DS-230

April 28, 2010 Montreal Recieves Packet 3

July 21, 2010 left DH in Canada to prove domicile in USA :(

July 26, 2010 DOS contacted, Logged & Accepted, interview not yet scheduled

Interview------God Speed please!!! I miss my husband

Thanks for the info and thanks for welcoming me =)

Good to know... I was starting to worry because the yellow paper they gave us at the Ottawa embassy said 2-3 weeks. I'll keep patiently waiting.

By the way, I recently heard about something called Electronic Processing (EP), and that it quickens the process. I don't know anything about that, or if it's even applicable in my case. Do you happen to know anything about that?

Thanks again!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for the info and thanks for welcoming me =)

Good to know... I was starting to worry because the yellow paper they gave us at the Ottawa embassy said 2-3 weeks. I'll keep patiently waiting.

By the way, I recently heard about something called Electronic Processing (EP), and that it quickens the process. I don't know anything about that, or if it's even applicable in my case. Do you happen to know anything about that?

Thanks again!

No need to do EP with DCF - that is for people filing normally to send their important documents electronically (instead of by mail), whereas you will have either included these in your I-130 or be bringing with you to interview (i.e. your I-864, marriage certificate, etc.)

Good luck. :thumbs:

Edited by birdnerd

Thanks for answering my question. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Well, as of today, I have finally received the Packet 3 from Montreal! Woohoo!

I just have a question... It said to send the DS-230 (Part 1 and 2) and the "checklist indicating you have obtained the original documents"

For the checklist, do I just have to send the paper with all the check marks, or do I also have to send the items on the checklist as well?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for answering my question. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Well, as of today, I have finally received the Packet 3 from Montreal! Woohoo!

I just have a question... It said to send the DS-230 (Part 1 and 2) and the "checklist indicating you have obtained the original documents"

For the checklist, do I just have to send the paper with all the check marks, or do I also have to send the items on the checklist as well?

Just the checklist. They want you just to confirm you *have* the relevant documents, which you will then bring with you to interview.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just the checklist. They want you just to confirm you *have* the relevant documents, which you will then bring with you to interview.

Yes - and also - you don't actually have to have it all in your hands right now. If you don't, still send the checklist back now - you will have a few months to gather anything you need.

Timeline

So even if I don't have all the items on the checklist, should I still just check everything (and then gather them in the next few weeks after I sent it in)?

Yes that's correct. Basically they are just asking you to have the documents available for the interview. It can take 3 months or more to be scheduled.

Edited by trailmix

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Good to find fellow Canadian's on this forum. Hope you don't mind my asking - I'm in a similar situation - My husband is American and I am Canadian. We used DCF in Vancouver 9/2009 and heard back from Montreal 02/2010. We are now compiling our information and waiting a very long time for my fingerprint based police record check. Has your wife obtained a police record check? How long did it take you to obtain it and how did you do so?

Welcome! Actually, you're a little ahead of where we are. We just sent in our packet saying we had everything, but our next step is to actually get everything =P

Our next step is to get the police record check. How long ago did you do it?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.