AJones

If someone could just make some soothing noises...

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hi all! I've been lurking here on VJ since January, this is the most incredibly helpful place ever. My fiance (the Brit) and I filed with USCIS in early March, we've gotten NOA2, we're now assembling the paperwork that goes with packet 3 and I am making myself neurotic over the I-134. I make well over the income requirement (~$56K/yr pre-tax) so *that's* all right, but am all wibbly because they list a "notarized copy of the last year's tax return" and that will take 2 months for me to get from the IRS (I E-File, so don't have an original hard copy around at home).

So what I've stuck in there is:

Letter from Employer (on the list of docs from the London Embassy)

Letters from both banks at which I have accounts (on the list of docs from the Embassy)

My W-2, an original printout of my 1040, and a tax transcript from the IRS for 2009.

My W-2, an original printout of my 1040, and a tax transcript from the IRS for 2008.

My W-2 and a tax transcript for 2007.

The official letter from my county giving the value of my home for tax purposes, plus the 2009 end of year statement from my mortgage holder, to corroborate those lines on the I-134.

My two most recent paystubs.

Starting in August I'll be getting $1446/mo in education benefits from the VA; I can print off various documents to prove the amount and that I will be getting it, should I stick those in there? Have I gotten into total overkill here? Is the lack of a notarized copy of my tax return going to just kill the whole thing anyway?

Can any of you helpful people make soothing noises at me if I'm just making myself neurotic for no good reason and the docs I've assembled are likely to be fine?

Also, how am I supposed to maintain my relationship if the US wins against Ghana in the World Cup but England is knocked out by Germany? ;)

You don't need a notarized copy of the taxes, this is an old requirement. If you have the tax transcripts, they can count for the year, so you don't need your w-2s. I turned in my tax transcripts for 07 and 08, two paystubs, and London was fine with it. I wouldn't even bother with the house stuff since you make a lot of $$ over the poverty line.. Good luck!

Edited by Justine+David

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

I agree with Justine. The tax transcript for 2009 is a stand alone document because it comes from the IRS and they are basically summarizing and verifying the data on your return. The W2 would go with a printout from your 2009 taxes...like if you did them on TurboTax and printed out the 1040 and any schedules. The transcript is perfect so sending the 1040 & W2 is redundant.

You can choose one other form of proof besides the tax transcript, like the employer letter, and London will be satisfied. At $56K/yr, they are going to glance over that so quickly and move on. You're in great shape so stop fretting. And be sure to keep copies of those proofs, because you'll be doing an I-864 Affidavit of Support when you file for AOS---meaning don't give up your only copy and have to gather again.

Congratulations on the petition approval.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Thanks, Justine+David and Nich-Nick. Half of my brain realizes that I am making myself absolutely nuts with this and could, y'know, just provide what they ask for and call it good. The other half of my brain is all "DROWN THEM IN PAPERWORK, STAT!"

It doesn't help that the packet 3 link they sent my fiance was to a page that no longer exists, so we had to track down the actual page with the actual packet 3 instructions and form downloads for him. I am not filled with confidence by the London Embassy at this point!

ETA: Oh and at least the US lost to Ghana, so I don't have to worry about potential relationship conflict generated by football! ;)

Edited by AJones

It doesn't help that the packet 3 link they sent my fiance was to a page that no longer exists, so we had to track down the actual page with the actual packet 3 instructions and form downloads for him. I am not filled with confidence by the London Embassy at this point!

I noticed that the webpage changed just recently when I was trying to reference it to help somebody out. So I looked around to see where they had put the information. In my opinion, they've made a right mess of it. It all used to be somewhat on the same page. I knew exactly what I was trying to find, and I was having trouble locating it. I think new K1-ers are going to be more lost knowing how to negotiate the embassy part because it's less clear than before. Well thank goodness for VJ. Here's a VJ link that might give you some London specific help. Click on the various links to find more pages, tips, and maps for London.

UK Wiki

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

so *that's* all right, but am all wibbly because they list a "notarized copy of the last year's tax return" and that will take 2 months for me to get from the IRS (I E-File, so don't have an original hard copy around at home).

I sent as much as you have listed. All the person at the embassy wanted was the signed I-134 and the FREE tax transcript I called and requested from the IRS. It is a good idea to send anything you want, but take a deep breath and relax. This is an easier embassy than most and you definitely make more than 125% of the poverty level.

Edit: Good luck at the interview stage! You will probably have the visa in hand before you know it. :)

Edited by Jewel-8

Our VisaJourney started July 2009 when I mailed the 129-F

Fiance here February 2010, married 10 days later

GC received in the mail 10-Jun-2010

Able to apply to remove conditions 12-Feb-2012

BABY GIRL BORN JULY 2011!!!

Just chiming in to say that we also went through London with just income (tax transcript, employer letter and pay stub print outs from the employee resources website) No notarization, and there's also no way to tell the difference between original and photocopy, so I made copies to send in with AOS ("expert" tip: Save this stuff, you'll have to submit it again!)

You can get the transcripts for free in about 10-15 days snail mail or I hear some people had them faxed. I don't have a fax machine (except the one at work, but I'm 26, I don't know how to use those stone age technologies :P)

Just google IRS transcript and then get the 1800 number and call that. Eeeeaaasy.

Edited by Nik+Heather

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.