shankha

questions on moving to F1 Visa

1 post in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi,

Greetings to all.

I am currently working in the US on a H1B visa and want to go back to graduate school. I have an approved I-140. I have been on H1B more than 6 years (since I have a approved I-140). H1B is a dual intent visa (you may or may not intend to immigrate) - even though it is termed a non-immigrant Visa. An approved I-140 is construed as an intent to immigrate. But F1 is a non-immigrant visa (you are not supposed to have a intention to immigrate).

I have 2 queries:

1) How likely is it that my F1 Visa request will be rejected?

I have heard conflicting accounts of this - Univ or Michigan international center and a immigration layer I consulted are of the view that my F1 application will be rejected. But I have heard from a few acquaintances that there are many people in a similar situation who have received F1 visa. How can I improve the chances of my F1 visa application?

2) Can I continue to work in the US after I have completed my graduate studies? Since I have completed more than 6 Years on a H1B visa do I need to spend 1 year outside of US before I become eligible for a work visa in US? Or is there a way for me to continue working in the US after completing my education on a F1 Visa?

Thanks in advance for your kind help.

Thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.